GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this pulsating humming sound from the engine bay?

Codeca

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GoRf DSG
Sadly enough my phone mic isn't the greatest, but its noticeable. It's maybe on-par if not a bit louder than the motor and has no error codes. IRL it sounds almost like a taycan or EV fake exhaust sound but pulsating. Not sure if it happens at higher RPMs, but you can only really hear it under 10mph in both drive and reverse. Definitely coming from the front, and sounds centered so I assume its the engine. Also it's tough to hear over the exhaust, but it's best heard through a phone from my experience and is much louder in person. Maybe 1 pulse a second? Thanks!

Mk7 golf R DSG
It's also not the tires since its best heard when i'm not moving, and releasing the brakes just enough for it to rev up.

I also have metal shavings in my transmission thanks to the previous owner so could it be related to that? Planning on taking it in next week.

Last edited:

Codeca

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GoRf DSG
Tough to hear is correct because I can't hear it.
just updated with a high pass filter, and it seems to pulsate a bit quicker with the engine speed. Yeah sorry about the sound, i'll make sure to pop the hood next time I hear it. I actually just went out to try again but it seems to have gone away for now. Maybe it's just after longer drives?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I hear it, I have no idea what that is.

Codeca

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GoRf DSG
just to update: had full dsg and haldex replacement, changed plugs, air filter, serpentine belt, and it still occurs every few days and lasts the rest of the drive. Still no idea what it is