GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this noise!?! Please help!

Oddie

Evening.

Can you help identify this noise coming from my 2016 GTD DSG please! When the car is cold, i.e first thing in the morning on my journey to work, the car makes a rattle / rumble as it decelerates to come to a stop. It only does it when the car is in drive, doesn't do it when it's in neutral and is freely revving up.

You'll have to turn your audio up quite loud to hear it, apologies for the rubbish filming. The noise happens as the car decelerates at around 7 seconds but is more obvious around 15-17 seconds as the car slows down. You'll hear a rumble / grumbling noise coming from the engine. Any ideas folks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQfibI5INw&feature=youtu.be

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Have you had a DSG service lately? Could be something with low fluid. I'll give a listen when I get home and have better audio.

Edit: v Alright good to know it was doing it before the service.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
video unavailable?

Oddie

Anybody have any ideas? I’m thinking something along the lines of alternator clutch pulley?
I had a similar noise on a MK4 TDI, Manila which turned out to be the pulley

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Anybody have any ideas? I’m thinking something along the lines of alternator clutch pulley?
I had a similar noise on a MK4 TDI, Manila which turned out to be the pulley

Start the car and look at the belt tensioner. If it is jumping like crazy the overrun clutch pulley has failed. Never heard one make noise, but I'm sure it could.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Sounds like plastic vibrating against something during certain RPMs, but hard to tell from the video. Do you have a GoPro? Mount it in the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oddie

Don't have a go pro. I'll try and video it on cold startup and see if anybody can tell me whether the tensioner looks ok or not

Oddie

Ok so a little bit more info. I've just been out to have a look at the alternator pulley / tensioner, it seemed ok. It didn't look like it was bouncing around but I may be wrong. One thing I have just noticed is that the noise doesn't happen if I'm applying the foot brake as the car begins to slow down. If I come off the gas and let it roll to a natural stop, it makes the rattling / rumbling noise at around 1300rpm as it comes down, doesn't do it if I'm braking the car with the foot brake

Kartin

Car(s)
2018 GTI
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but just wondering if this was ever solved? I have the exact same issue (burst of rattle/chatter noise while rolling to a stop, no braking, around 1300rpm). I've never heard it when accelerating or just revving the engine.

Many thanks,