GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is this called and can I add to it?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
What is the center screen in yellow on the cluster called? I thought it was the multi-function display, but my Googlfoo is not at peak efficiency. Can I make it provide directions from CarPlay like my wife’s 2021 Tiguan. When she is navigating using CarPlay, it will display the next turn in this screen, regardless of what’s in there. Thanks In advance.
2756F2C6-1F85-42DA-854C-60149BFE1838.jpeg

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
Multi-function display (MFD). I thought it will only display directions when you have factory sat nav.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I'm not sure what happens on North American Region cars, but on Rest of World model mk7s, the MFD has multi-functions that are selectable from the buttons on the RHS of the steering wheel on your picture.

Here's the list of selectable functions from the manual (see the Navigation entry )

Don
MenuFunctionSee
Driving dataInformation and settings for the multifunction display (MFD).
Display of current warning or information messages and other system components depending on the equipment level.
Assist systemsInformation and settings for the driver assist systems.  ,
NavigationInformation displays from active navigation system:
Turning arrows and proximity bars are displayed if you use active route guidance. The design is similar to the symbols used in the infotainment system.
The direction of travel (compass function) and the name of the road being used are displayed if the route guidance option is not active.
⇒ BookletNavigation system,
AudioStation display in radio mode.
Display station list in radio mode.
Track display in media mode.
⇒ BookletRadio , or
TelephoneDisplay telephone information.
Using the telephone
⇒ BookletNavigation system, or
⇒ BookletRadio, navigation system,
Vehicle status or
Vehicle
Display and storage of current warning or information texts.
The menu option only appears if warning and information texts are available.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I'm not sure what happens on North American Region cars, but on Rest of World model mk7s, the MFD has multi-functions that are selectable from the buttons on the RHS of the steering wheel on your picture.

Here's the list of selectable functions from the manual (see the Navigation entry )

Don
MenuFunctionSee
Driving dataInformation and settings for the multifunction display (MFD).
Display of current warning or information messages and other system components depending on the equipment level.
Assist systemsInformation and settings for the driver assist systems.  ,
NavigationInformation displays from active navigation system:
Turning arrows and proximity bars are displayed if you use active route guidance. The design is similar to the symbols used in the infotainment system.
The direction of travel (compass function) and the name of the road being used are displayed if the route guidance option is not active.
AudioStation display in radio mode.
Display station list in radio mode.
Track display in media mode.
⇒ BookletRadio , or
TelephoneDisplay telephone information.
Using the telephone
⇒ BookletNavigation system, or
⇒ BookletRadio, navigation system,
Vehicle status or
Vehicle
Display and storage of current warning or information texts.
The menu option only appears if warning and information texts are available.

Thanks for this. I didn’t get an owners manual with the car and the one I found online is formatted very strange making it difficult to read. I have used the in car nav, which surprisingly competent. My wife’s Tiguan doesn’t have in car nav, but when she uses CarPlay with Waze or Maps, it will display it in the MFD. That is the function I would like to replicate.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Thanks for this. I didn’t get an owners manual with the car and the one I found online is formatted very strange making it difficult to read. I have used the in car nav, which surprisingly competent. My wife’s Tiguan doesn’t have in car nav, but when she uses CarPlay with Waze or Maps, it will display it in the MFD. That is the function I would like to replicate.

As far as I am aware you won't be able to get Carplay to display any navigation data in the instrument cluster. Even if you retrofit the digital dash it will only say "Navigation is active on the mobile device" without showing any turn by turn or map.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
As far as I am aware you won't be able to get Carplay to display any navigation data in the instrument cluster. Even if you retrofit the digital dash it will only say "Navigation is active on the mobile device" without showing any turn by turn or map.
That’s odd. I’ve seen some of the DD retrofits that had the maps display, came down to a coding issue i believe.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
That’s odd. I’ve seen some of the DD retrofits that had the maps display, came down to a coding issue i believe.
So I've got a 2015 GTI SE and I swapped in an MIB2 with NAV, as well as the OEM Digital dash. Carplay doesn't work with it.

AFAIK the only Digital dashes that do work with it are the aftermarket ones that you mix together with your existing instrument cluster.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
So I've got a 2015 GTI SE and I swapped in an MIB2 with NAV, as well as the OEM Digital dash. Carplay doesn't work with it.

AFAIK the only Digital dashes that do work with it are the aftermarket ones that you mix together with your existing instrument cluster.
Oh wow. Fair enough. I would have to look but I did have a thread saved where someone had the maps come up on the AID it was just a code.

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Oh wow. Fair enough. I would have to look but I did have a thread saved where someone had the maps come up on the AID it was just a code.
If you do find that post I'd love to see it. Right now I just have the OEM maps that I can see in the AID.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
If you do find that post I'd love to see it. Right now I just have the OEM maps that I can see in the AID.
Apparently I tore through a ton of threads researching this. I’ll keep looking.

You can only have the OEM navigation display on the AID.

You can not have CarPlay/Android Auto maps display on the AID.
You are most likely correct and I could be mistaken, but I swore someone found out how to do it.