GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the obsession with warranties?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
AFAIK, long term fuel trims might indicate running rich with a piggyback, but they return to normal after only a couple of minutes with it removed or set to stock pressures. If the engine blows up you won't be able to get the trims back down. And the dealer doesn't care what you do, it's VW. They are the ones that tell the tech what needs to be included with a warranty claim. If they want an engine scan, the mechanic needs to include it or the claim won't be considered. All the dealer wants is make money. Now, if VW sends a field rep out to look at your car...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't believe there has ever been a reported warranty claim denial with a removed JB4 anywhere on the interwebs. It's about as bullet-proof as you get. I also don't think anyone has probalby had a major-enough of an issue that it would have mattered anyway.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
AFAIK, long term fuel trims might indicate running rich with a piggyback, but they return to normal after only a couple of minutes with it removed or set to stock pressures. If the engine blows up you won't be able to get the trims back down. And the dealer doesn't care what you do, it's VW. They are the ones that tell the tech what needs to be included with a warranty claim. If they want an engine scan, the mechanic needs to include it or the claim won't be considered. All the dealer wants is make money. Now, if VW sends a field rep out to look at your car...

Engine blowing up on stock tune can throw trims out of whack too, yes? I guess unless you punch a rod out the side of the block. So probably not a huge concern.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That's when you get a junk yard engine, swap it in, and sell it as fast as possible.

Yeah, that was definitely running through my mind after the 1 year/12k miles warranty on the long block repair ran out. But, the car ended up being pretty rock solid after all that work. Ended up trading it in with 142k miles.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yeah, that was definitely running through my mind after the 1 year/12k miles warranty on the long block repair ran out. But, the car ended up being pretty rock solid after all that work. Ended up trading it in with 142k miles.

Out of curiosity, what does a dealer give in trade for a GTI with 142k miles on it? I can't imagine much. That's when you keep it and build a racecar. What could go wrong? lol

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Out of curiosity, what does a dealer give in trade for a GTI with 142k miles on it? I can't imagine much. That's when you keep it and build a racecar. What could go wrong? lol

I got $3,000 for it. It was a little over 10 years old with that mileage at the time. KBB value was around $4,200 I think. With the mileage getting up there, I was too paranoid to sell it privately because I'd feel bad if it decided to grenade the next week, so trade in made me feel a bit better haha.

As for the racecar, that's more likely in the future with the MK7 since we're closing on a home next month and I'll have more space haha.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
Speaking of warranties, took my newly acquired 2019 Golf to the dealer to check out an issue. I understand it should be covered by the 6 year/72k People First warranty.
No problem with dealer acknowledging the current warranty.

However, when i got the service printout, it showed a warranty expiration date of 4 years from the delivery date. Not sure if this is a dealer glitch or something I need to take care of so I don’t have any issues in the long run if need be.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Speaking of warranties, took my newly acquired 2019 Golf to the dealer to check out an issue. I understand it should be covered by the 6 year/72k People First warranty.
No problem with dealer acknowledging the current warranty.

However, when i got the service printout, it showed a warranty expiration date of 4 years from the delivery date. Not sure if this is a dealer glitch or something I need to take care of so I don’t have any issues in the long run if need be.
2019 doesn't have the 6/72 - that was 2018. You have a 4/48 I believe and get a few freebie services included instead. Just look in your new car warranty manual, it has all of this info.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
2019 doesn't have the 6/72 - that was 2018. You have a 4/48 I believe and get a few freebie services included instead. Just look in your new car warranty manual, it has all of this info.

That's inaccurate. I have a 2019 and inherited the remainder of a 6/72. With CPO on top I'm actually covered for more than 6/72. Not sure if his is CPO or not.

VW's 6/72 warranty was rolled out for some of the brand's 2017 model year vehicles, and it covered all 2018 and 2019 VWs except the all-electric e-Golf.

It's probably just a glitch. I'd clarify with them regardless but your VIN should show a production date in their system which should be attached to the right warranty.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG

I had checked my warranty manual that’s why it was puzzling.

I’m not CPO but a quick chat with VW Cares confirmed the 6/72 (as well as the remainder of the 3/36 Roadside Assistance) with my VIN. Also, referenced here: https://www.vw.com/content/vwcom/en/warranty.html

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ok, got it. So rolled back to 4/48 for 2020.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The warranty changes were a bummer, but it didn't influence my decision to buy the model year newer car.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
This isn't unique to cars. Customers try to get one over on companies to avoid paying for their mistakes ALL the time. Not just car owners towards dealers. If you had a warranty on your windows, and your kid broke the glass, are you gonna call and tell them your kid broke it? Or are you going to say I came home from work and noticed it was broken, I don't know what happened, please replace it?

I've been in customer service for 18 years and it would amaze you the lengths some people will go and how often I see it. My guess is the vast majority of companies, including ones the size of VW and the company I work for, are not suing their customers for anything like this. Burden of proof falls on the company, and they have to be good at sniffing these out. But they won't get them all, and that's a sunk cost that's factored in just like everything else. Plus they don't want to build a reputation for being the company that sues it's customers.

Car people have been trying to get warranty work done on modded cars with varying degrees of success since car culture became a thing. This is not new and no one is getting in real trouble (at least not 99.9999% of people like you and me).

I used to work in a bike shop and people would try to warranty stuff they broke on their own all the time. "I was just riding along" and it broke...riiiight. You can't always prove it...but like...come on. We'd submit the warranty claim anyways...and most of the time...it'll get approved.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
as always your attitude will matter. With a tune it's difficult but dealers can influence wtty claims. being friendly with service/sales is a big help.