GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the most stealth hitch?

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
They make various versions. The Fact12 frame is $5,500, but the Fact 11 is "only" $3,500 and only 100g heavier. I'm 190 pounds, I don't need to be counting grams.

Don't they have a Diverge with Campy Ekar? Off to check...Not that I'm sure there are any in inventory.
Yeah Diverge Pro LTD. Super limited quantities, looks like an amazing bike tho.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Nice, I think I'm going to give it a try, super tired of having to lift my bike onto the roof and the mpg loss. With just the oem racks on i struggle to hit 30 highway (usually around 27) with a 58cm bike on top its low 20s all day.

Bikes on the roof are scary on windy days too.

I went the cheap route and got a Curt.

Lotus99

Car(s)
2016 R
I installed a stealth hitch on my ‘17 R and it’s great. Had to trim the valance but its not very noticeable. When not in use I remove the receiver and store in the trunk. I painted the muffler black and you can barely see the trimmed valance. I don’t tow with it just use it for my bike rack.
Is this the hitch you installed?

https://stealthhitches.com/products/volkswagen-hitch-shr34003

They say it only fits the 2018/2019 year R because of rear fascia changes, but in an installation video I found on YouTube, their box was labelled as fitting 2016 to 2019 R models!

i’ve got a 2016…

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Is this the hitch you installed?

https://stealthhitches.com/products/volkswagen-hitch-shr34003

They say it only fits the 2018/2019 year R because of rear fascia changes, but in an installation video I found on YouTube, their box was labelled as fitting 2016 to 2019 R models!

i’ve got a 2016…

Not who you asked but here is my opinion. Loved the idea of the Stealth Hitch until I read the instructions. Found out to install the hitch the OEM crash bar is removed and not reinstalled. Last thing I want to take a chance with is getting rear ended and not have the crash bar on my car.

I wound up with the Hidden Hitch as I could keep the factory crash bar and foam. Personally I would rather have the extra protection just in case. Other positive is it was half the price.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Not who you asked but here is my opinion. Loved the idea of the Stealth Hitch until I read the instructions. Found out to install the hitch the OEM crash bar is removed and not reinstalled. Last thing I want to take a chance with is getting rear ended and not have the crash bar on my car.

I wound up with the Hidden Hitch as I could keep the factory crash bar and foam. Personally I would rather have the extra protection just in case. Other positive is it was half the price.

The Stealth Hitch is a crash bar. It's replaces the factory crash bar with itself as a replacement crash bar. Or at least that's what I thought?

Lotus99

Car(s)
2016 R

Oh wow, did not know that! Are you sure the crash bar is also removed? 😳

I know with the Ecohitch, you remove the foam, but the factory crash bar is installed back on top of the hitch.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-2017-volkswagen-golf-r-ecohitch

See 5 minute mark:

Lotus99

Car(s)
2016 R
The Stealth Hitch is a crash bar. It's replaces the factory crash bar with itself as a replacement crash bar. Or at least that's what I thought?

you have a good point… and I believe you are correct. That seems to be the case when you look at the beefy design of the hitch that goes completely across the bumper, compared to the Ecohitch model which dips below, and retains the factory crash bar.

IMG_9285.png

IMG_9286.png

IMG_9287.png

Lotus99

Car(s)
2016 R

Which hitch is that? And is it a 1.25 inch receiver or a 2 inch one?

I didn’t think besides Stealth and Ecohitch anyone else makes a 2 inch receiver?

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Has it been tested as a crash bar? My money is on no.

In the unfortunate event that I am rear ended I want something properly tested back there.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Oh wow, did not know that! Are you sure the crash bar is also removed? 😳
That is what the directions show.

I know with the Ecohitch, you remove the foam, but the factory crash bar is installed back on top of the hitch.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-2017-volkswagen-golf-r-ecohitch

See 5 minute mark:

On my 2019 R which is the same as CPO's I was able to fit the foam where it belongs. It took a bit to get everything to line up but it fit all back together.
I bought my Ecohitch used so I did not have a template, it took a bit of fine tuning the cut out to allow it all to fit back to together with the foam.

My hitch is 1.25" as I only wantedy to be able to use it with my Thule bike rack.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Has it been tested as a crash bar? My money is on no.

In the unfortunate event that I am rear ended I want something properly tested back there.
Does it need to be? I mean, that’s like asking the same question for any aftermarket part.

I’m not saying that safety isn’t paramount, but the Stealth Hitch mounts up to the factory location with a pretty hefty square steel bar attached to it. And those welds look pretty good. For all we know, this thing does more damage to other cars than intended.

Modern vehicles are designed to give a certain amount during a collision in an attempt to protect occupants on both sides. I’d rather be the guy with the bead locks in an accident, but that’s just me. Of course, I’m making assumptions here, but you get the point. I just don’t see an issue with pulling out the flimsy foam and replacing the crash bar with a solid piece of steel.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Does it need to be? I mean, that’s like asking the same question for any aftermarket part.

For me it does.

Have you been in serious accident before? If you have, are you going trust an under engineered part replacing one that is designed to help protect you in an accident?

Are all aftermarket parts in your eyes equal?

I just don’t see an issue with pulling out the flimsy foam and replacing the crash bar with a solid piece of steel.
Good on you. Hopefully you are never in a serious accident where you may otherwise find out. And hopefully the insurance company won't have an issue with it also.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I doubt many if any of these parts are "crash-tested."

Personally I really don't think a pressed steel bar on the bumper is going to make a difference one way or another to my safety from being rear-ended in a small lowered hatchback. Every time I've been hit by someone, they were in their oversized SUV distracted on their phone, and if that happens to my Golf the whole rear end is going to crumple.

I'd be far more careful about screwing with parts on the front of my car. OEM aluminum crash bar, sure. Tubular mount for a giant FMIC, no thanks.

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I've had the Ecohitch installed for a couple a years now, no complaints. It has a stealth look, all that is visible is the receiver. And I was able to install it myself with some cursing and a prayer!

After browsing the comments, just want to note the crash bar is not removed, at least not with the Ecohitch. You had to remove the foam padding, so the hitch mount could mate up with the rear bumper, but I don't see how this will compromise safety.

Attachments

• IMG_7963.jpg
    IMG_7963.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 34