GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the most stealth hitch?

quality_sound

hmm.......
Car(s)
'21 GTI S DSG
Yes, all the hitches with the hidden cross member bar required you to remove a section of 3.5"x2.5" from the rear valance. I used a dremel to cut it and a piece of rubber hose for trim.

Hmmmmm, do you know which hitches aren't hidden? I saw how you did yours and it looks clean, but I don't tow enough to justify it. I guess I could always remove the valence when I tow.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Hmmmmm, do you know which hitches aren't hidden? I saw how you did yours and it looks clean, but I don't tow enough to justify it. I guess I could always remove the valence when I tow.

I've seen a few MK7s with hitches that hang down below the valence, not sure what brand they were.

Any brand that mounts to the rear of the frame rails behind the bumper skin will be equally hidden (Ecohitch, Curt, etc).

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I have an Ecohitch but would've bought the Stealth hitch instead if they'd had it out 2 years ago

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Stealth Hitch? I hear that Mila Kunis and Ashton Kushner tied the knot without anyone knowing. ;)

Then how'd you hear about it?

Not so stealthy, now is it?

santib

Car(s)
Golf R
Does anyone have experience with Stealth Hitch?

Volkswagen Golf GTI Hitch | The Hitch Made to be Hidden (stealthhitches.com)

Kind of pricey but it seems to be the only non OEM version that is completely hidden. I'd go OEM but that seems like a PITA to source from Europe.
I installed a stealth hitch on my ‘17 R and it’s great. Had to trim the valance but its not very noticeable. When not in use I remove the receiver and store in the trunk. I painted the muffler black and you can barely see the trimmed valance. I don’t tow with it just use it for my bike rack.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
I installed a stealth hitch on my ‘17 R and it’s great. Had to trim the valance but its not very noticeable. When not in use I remove the receiver and store in the trunk. I painted the muffler black and you can barely see the trimmed valance. I don’t tow with it just use it for my bike rack.
Nice, I think I'm going to give it a try, super tired of having to lift my bike onto the roof and the mpg loss. With just the oem racks on i struggle to hit 30 highway (usually around 27) with a 58cm bike on top its low 20s all day.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Nice, I think I'm going to give it a try, super tired of having to lift my bike onto the roof and the mpg loss. With just the oem racks on i struggle to hit 30 highway (usually around 27) with a 58cm bike on top its low 20s all day.
Yeah, my previous car would drop to about 17mpg hwy with two bikes on the roof from a normal high 20's number with a clean roof.

I run a Curt now on my GTI and see a drop from the normal 37-38 hwy to closer to 33-34 with two bikes on the 1Up. And nice to have another 58cm person, although I suppose mine is a 58.5 :)

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Yeah I have the Curt hitch... I think its the definition of not hidden but its cheap, install is easy and with my Rocky Mounts
Westslope rack it makes loading and taking the bikes so easy. I know the One Up rack is lighter but I like how the Westslope is angled up so I dont have to worry about hitting anything..i imagine a flatter rack might be better on gas mileage?

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Yeah, my previous car would drop to about 17mpg hwy with two bikes on the roof from a normal high 20's number with a clean roof.

I run a Curt now on my GTI and see a drop from the normal 37-38 hwy to closer to 33-34 with two bikes on the 1Up. And nice to have another 58cm person, although I suppose mine is a 58.5 :)
Nice, yeah I bought a Specialized Diverge about a year ago. I've been using it way more than my road bike, gravel riding has kept me excited about riding.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Nice, yeah I bought a Specialized Diverge about a year ago. I've been using it way more than my road bike, gravel riding has kept me excited about riding.
Yeah, that's an awesome bike. I may replace my old ti, rim braked road bike with a Diverge soon, but a friend got an Aethos last year and it's tempting to do one of those.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Aethos is awesome but $$$
They make various versions. The Fact12 frame is $5,500, but the Fact 11 is "only" $3,500 and only 100g heavier. I'm 190 pounds, I don't need to be counting grams.

Don't they have a Diverge with Campy Ekar? Off to check...Not that I'm sure there are any in inventory.

Thankfully the closest ones are in San Dimas or Baltimore. But man it would be nice to have SWAT on both bikes, empty pockets are awesome! I've got so much crap in the down tube of my SJ EVO.