GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is 0-60 APR Stage 1?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Idk, for me it still does that - measures a cars potential pretty darn good.

For the most part it's pretty accurate. Compare it to a few different magazines and you'll get a pretty good idea where it sits. The same can be said about 1/4 mile times, lap times or anything else out there.

Sometimes you just have to drop it at 6k and you'll get pretty much the same result every time, or allow the comp to do its thing.

Now a days, not many cars are dependent on the driver skill level. It's all computerized/automated. 0-60 times are now more accurate than they've ever been.

Haha after I posted, I realized I was thinking in manual transmission terms. Yeah, I’ll admit it’s more accurate with autos.

Despite that, I still feel it being given too much attention regarding a car’s performance vs the real world or rolling performance.

The way I see it, I’m likely to make use of the rolling performance more than 0-60 since I’m not always the first at an intersection.

Again, just me. Just another manual guy :)

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
This is why I read the 1/4 mile trap speed as more a sign of the car’s power potential. The 60’ and Elapsed Time reflect more on the car’s traction and driver’s skill. Generally speaking.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
honestly, wtf is the point of a 0 to 60 test. Unless youre going from stop the only thing that matters is handling. dont worry about 0-60 just worry about lap times. thats what gtis are good for.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
honestly, wtf is the point of a 0 to 60 test. Unless youre going from stop the only thing that matters is handling. dont worry about 0-60 just worry about lap times. thats what gtis are good for.
I wouldn't say its the only thing that matters...more power will get you around the track faster. Last time I was at the track, my GTI was about stage 1 with stock suspension, still managed to surprise a number of people with how fast it was. Now that I am fully tuned and plan to install a rear sway bar, it should surprise keeping up with others should be even easier.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Haha after I posted, I realized I was thinking in manual transmission terms. Yeah, I’ll admit it’s more accurate with autos.

Despite that, I still feel it being given too much attention regarding a car’s performance vs the real world or rolling performance.

The way I see it, I’m likely to make use of the rolling performance more than 0-60 since I’m not always the first at an intersection.

Again, just me. Just another manual guy :)

I think this measurement is the most basic one, easy to understand, most applicable on the street, and a lot more popular within the general public (non enthusiasts) as they hear about it through commercials, brands' sites and now, youtube car review channels.

Also 0-60 times are a lot easier to achieve than running 100-130 on public roads, so yes they should be getting more attention (outside of the GTI community that is).

If you want to be the first at the light, you just gotta hustle a little and box your way through and you'll be there waiting for the green. ;)

So what kinda times do you lay down with your manual R? Does the manual R come with launch control?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I think this measurement is the most basic one, easy to understand, most applicable on the street, and a lot more popular within the general public (non enthusiasts) as they hear about it through commercials, brands' sites and now, youtube car review channels.

Also 0-60 times are a lot easier to achieve than running 100-130 on public roads, so yes they should be getting more attention (outside of the GTI community that is).

If you want to be the first at the light, you just gotta hustle a little and box your way through and you'll be there waiting for the green. ;)

So what kinda times do you lay down with your manual R? Does the manual R come with launch control?

Good points, but I disagree with being more applicable on the street - unless by street, you mean a stoplight. 40-100km highway-merging speed (in BC)? Yes!

This all started for me back in RX-7 days. An acquaintance and I went for a ride in his street ported FC with a BT (in fact, the last time I ever saw a turbo timer haha). I was much more naive about speed then and, from a light, it was AMAZING. But when we merged onto a highway, it was even crazier! I was hooked on THAT feeling, not the stoplight launch.

A few years ago, a coworker's stock DSG Golf R. He showed me LC (since I don't have it) and it was AWESOME! Then we did highway pulls and it was underwhelming.

To answer your questions. I never attempted to measure my 0-60 and I don't have LC.

Last edited:

RTFM

Ready to race!
Good points, but I disagree with being more applicable on the street - unless by street, you mean a stoplight. 40-100km highway-merging speed (in BC)? Yes!

This all started for me back in RX-7 days. An acquaintance and I went for a ride in his street ported FC with a BT (in fact, the last time I ever saw a turbo timer haha). I was much more naive about speed then and, from a light, it was AMAZING. But when we merged onto a highway, it was even crazier! I was hooked on THAT feeling, not the stoplight launch.

A few years ago, a coworker's stock DSG Golf R. He showed me LC (since I don't have it) and it was AWESOME! Then we did highway pulls and it was underwhelming.

To answer your questions. I never attempted to measure my 0-60 and I don't have LC.
Still have a timer on my non-GTI. It comes in handy when I forget that the car isn’t quite as smart as the GTI
5CA56D75-59F3-4F46-ACDB-7277AE7DA02E.jpeg

jdiamondGolfMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Regarding the APR stage 1 upgrade, my biggest question is CAN YOU FEEL THE DIFFERENCE. (I'm not taking it on a drag strip or racing people at lights.)

I'm about to be brutally honest, no offense to any Golf owners:

The real world performance of these things is so different from launch control. The GTI *feels* to me like a 7 second car, which to me is not so sporty. HOWEVER, even the Golf-R doesn't feel very fast to me in real world use (I'm not alone in this, BTW, which is why so many R owners do stage 1) - to be fair, in real world use, I'm doing low RPMs, not flooring it like you'd do if you actually wanted great acceleration. What's interesting is most cars with 5-60 mph times below 6 seconds DO feel fast to me (not just the CTR, but even the Mazdaspeed 3 !), and I believe the Golf-R does have 5-60 below 6, so I'm not sure why it doesn't feel faster, other than at low RPMs R acceleration is actually worse than the GTI.

So my thoughts are if even the Golf R doesn't feel like a fast car to me, would I really feel any difference with an APR stage 1 on a GTI? Maybe it can then do 5.6 seconds 0-60 with launch control, but what will real world use feel like? Anyone with an actual tune on a GTI want to comment? I'm genuinely interested in what you feel...

BTW, just so I don't sound spoiled, when I drive cars with 4.0 seconds 5-60, it's actually frightening! :). Most of my life I've driven cars in the 6s.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Considering these cars tune remarkable well and you're getting, at a minimum, with the 87 low tq tune an additional 45ft-lb and 47hp to the wheels I'd recon you'll feel it alright.

A big factor into the perceived sense of speed can be a variety of extraneous factors. How loud is the car? How low are you to the ground? Does the NVH shoot through the roof when you got it floored? The Mk7's from the factory are pretty decently isolated from all the above, making acceleration less of an event than it can be in some cars that are a bit rougher around the edges, even if both hit 60mph in the same amount of time.

Jambroni

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra ST
My Cupra AWD estate does 0-60 in 3.7-3.8s with LC. It's not frightening at all but controlled, you get used to it.

FWD cars aren't well setup for 0-60 though but once moving it's a different story. :)

jdiamondGolfMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Considering these cars tune remarkable well and you're getting, at a minimum, with the 87 low tq tune an additional 45ft-lb and 47hp to the wheels I'd recon you'll feel it alright.

A big factor into the perceived sense of speed can be a variety of extraneous factors. How loud is the car? How low are you to the ground? Does the NVH shoot through the roof when you got it floored? The Mk7's from the factory are pretty decently isolated from all the above, making acceleration less of an event than it can be in some cars that are a bit rougher around the edges, even if both hit 60mph in the same amount of time.

Thanks for the great points. And after hitting my most pessimistic level, I just saw this video that gave me renewed optimism:

The takeaway is that when you soup up a FWD car, you get wheelspin that kills your 0-60 time -> but once you're going more quickly, wheelspin is much less of an issue, and so you may really feel the same benefits of the increased performance as an AWD car - something 0-60 times won't show. In this example, they demonstrated that while a Golf GTI TCR 290HP is a second slower to 62 mph than a Golf R, it's actually a little faster from 62-124 mph once the wheels stop spinning.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
The takeaway is that when you soup up a FWD car, you get wheelspin that kills your 0-60 time -> but once you're going more quickly, wheelspin is much less of an issue, and so you may really feel the same benefits of the increased performance as an AWD car - something 0-60 times won't show. In this example, they demonstrated that while a Golf GTI TCR 290HP is a second slower to 62 mph than a Golf R, it's actually a little faster from 62-124 mph once the wheels stop spinning.

Not really surprising. Isn't the TCR essentially the R motor without the AWD? So once you take away the traction advantage, the lighter car is quicker 🤷‍♂️