GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What I Learned: Neuspeed Sport Springs/Bilstein B8 Install

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
For months I research, read ( Mostly Hammersticks Street Based Suspension thread), watched YouTube videos and contemplated suspension setups for my 2018 GTI. I knew I wanted to do the install myself as I enjoy working on my GTI as it makes me feel more connected to it. Anyway...I wanted to share a few things that I either over looked or found out during the install that would have been beneficial to know prior to starting.

My background. I like to think I am fairly mechanically inclined. My line of work ensures that I work safely and with procedures. I try to take my time, work clean and enjoy what I am working on. I have most of the tools I need and love when I don't have one because that means, more tools! I've done lots of little things on cars and love to learn new things.

List of things I purchased, should have purchased or learned. All these suggestions are specific to the Neuspeed Sport Spring/Bilstein B8 combo.
  1. If you can swing it, buy a Quickjack!!! So much easier and enjoyable to work on your car using one.
  2. You DO NOT need TT pads (Part number: 8j0-512-149) for the rear springs. I read this recommendation, which states optional in the post, as I WOULD have reverse rake and this is what I needed to fix it.
  3. The strut sockets mentioned are for the OEM struts/shocks are 21mm front and 16mm rear - The Bilstein requires 22mm front and 17mm rear. To properly torque the strut nuts you need these sockets as you must secure the piston with an allen key while torqueing the nut. The Bilstein instructions specifically state to NOT utilize an impact when installing this nut as there is potential to cause damage to the internals. *Side note: I didn't want to wait for a strut nut socket to be shipped to me so I was able to use an O2 sensor socket which is also 22mm (7/8") for the front struts nuts. 3B14CFB7-1C80-4626-9536-9F2A3749D893.jpeg
  4. This was a big one for me, Disconnect the ABS sensors:Before I explain this, I did not use the 2x4 method for personal reasons. If you are working alone and are disconnecting the axel, do yourself a favor and remove the caliper and rotor as this frees up a lot of weight off the knuckle and will make removal/installation of the strut much easier. Initially I did not remove any extra weight since the videos I watched did not. My passenger side ABS sensor was still plugged in although I did remove the grommet for it and clip for the brake line. When the knuckle finally came free of the strut, the wires became separated from the connector(they got ripped out*). Now I am waiting on what I hope will be a suitable fix, a $6 2-pin pigtail from China. The ABS obviously controls more than just the ABS because just about every light possible will be illuminated on your dash if it is not properly connected. Luckily I have an old truck I can drive until I figure the connector out.
That's about all I wanted to share as there is already a ton of great information on this site regarding suspension DIY. I did get to drive the GTI around the block, which feels like there is a lack of power steering due to the ABS sensor damage, and the ride felt very smooth. Maybe even smoother that stock. I unfortunately did not take measurements prior (post install is 13 1/4", fender to hub) to installation so if you have a stock suspension mk7 GTI, let me know what the fender to center hub measurement is and I will update this.
DD65AE44-BBD1-44F9-903C-9EA48E749D0D.jpeg

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Is that rear door from another car? The paint doesn't match. Nice stance though.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
If there’s any wiring still attached to the connector you can try close the circuit like the guys do on track days.

edit: Now that I think of it this may be the wear sensor I’m thinking of not ABS.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
It’s an optical illusion honestly. Doesn’t look like that in person. Fixed with different photo.
A picture of the opposite side... ( plays X Files theme ) ;)

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The rear door still looks darker to me. :unsure: It was more obvious in the flash picture, but maybe I just can't unsee it.
Not a big deal anyway. Probably nobody will ever notice it in person.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
The rear door still looks darker to me. :unsure: It was more obvious in the flash picture, but maybe I just can't unsee it.
Not a big deal anyway. Probably nobody will ever notice it in person.
After you pointed this out to me I couldn’t stop thinking about it. In the right light, 100% the rear passenger door is another color. Along with the front bumper cover.
Clean carfax but obviously the original owner, I purchased at 14,500mi, had some repairs done off the books. It bothered me to the point of parting the car out at times. I’ve made my peace with it but still treat it like it’s factory fresh paint.