GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what downpipe should i get

412maxs

Car(s)
mk7 gti
I have a mk7 gti that has a type s catback borla exhaust i want it to be louder and i was thinking of the cts catted dowpipe but im not sure if i need to tune my car after and if i do what tune do i need for just those two parts everything else is stock

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. Just save your money. The 10 HP you would gain isn't worth trying to fix the check engine light you will get and then the hassle of trying different 02 sensor spacers to get rid of the CEL. You could remove the Borla muffler or get a different muffler for sound.
If you want more power get a JB4.

412maxs

Car(s)
mk7 gti
i just bought the cobb accessport cuz i dont wana be cheap i hear the jb4 is good but it tricks your engine rather than actually tune idk i might be wrong but thats what i heard

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The JB4 is a rock solid piece of hardware that will knock the doors off of a COBB off-the-shelf tune. It does trick your engine, but only into thinking boost levels are normal so you don't get a check engine light. Many people use it inside of warranty since it doesn't remap the ECU, you can take it off and send the vehicle to the dealer for repairs with no worry of TD1. With that said, since you already have the COBB you may as well send it. The best bang for your buck you are going to get right now is buying a proper tune for the COBB. EQT is the go-to recommendation around here, much safer for your engine than anything you get with the default cobb tunes. OTS Cobb tunes have too much knock, so before buying anything else buying a proper tune for your device should be your #1 priority.

https://eqtuning.com/products/eqt-ecu-base-map-tune-vw-mk7-gti-golf-r

If you are genuinely looking to go downpipe and stage 2, you should figure out what Intercooler you're going to buy as well. Personally I'm waiting to get my car back so I can slap a Trackslag downpipe on it. I also considered the ARM downpipe, and the IE downpipe. If you want to avoid being cheap, the Trackslag is the best choice. It has a quality catalytic converter and a huge bend section that facilitates for an easy install.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i just bought the cobb accessport cuz i dont wana be cheap i hear the jb4 is good but it tricks your engine rather than actually tune idk i might be wrong but thats what i heard
That's even better if you don't have or don't care about a warranty.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A DP and the Borla exhaust will be loud AF.

And not a nice kinda loud, more of a Honda with a fart can loud with extra drone on top.

Like everyone else said, intercooler upgrade before a downpipe & friends don’t let friends run the Cobb tunes AP comes with. Grab a off the shelf tune from EQT and enjoy.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What about with Vibrants? Any way to salvage since the money is already spent?
A Vibrant resonator probably will take care of the drone but it doesn't affect the sound very much.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I have a mk7 gti that has a type s catback borla exhaust i want it to be louder and i was thinking of the cts catted dowpipe but im not sure if i need to tune my car after and if i do what tune do i need for just those two parts everything else is stock

I also have the Borla Type S Catback on my MK 7.5. I can say with the stock downpipe its plenty loud for most tastes (in a good way, the tone is deep and rich enough without inducing drone). I know when I go with a DP/EQT in the future, I'll need a solution that at the very least takes care of the drone. GTI Jake here makes DPs and a mid-pipe Vibrant resonator kit for the Borla Catback, which (as they've put it) places the volume/tone inbetween their Less-Aggressive CBE and Aggressive CBE offerings. So that is one option you have, and in my opinion with my experience with Jake's products before, is the best option. Either way, if you go with a DP you'll need a resonator to handle the drone.

That said, do yourself the favor and get an intercooler first. When you're ready for the downpipe, set aside the money for an EQT tune as well via your Cobb AP.