GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What does a MAP sensor do exactly?

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I want to be proactive and upgrade my PUT sensor before the other goodies come in. Would installing the upgraded PUT sensor affect drivability of the car before I install new turbo/tune?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I've seen my stock MAP read up to around 320 kPa, which is around 32psi of boost at sea level. I'm not sure if it's actually reading that high, or it's inferring some value from the PUT (I have a 4 bar PUT). But either way, fuel trims and such seem to be good to go.

I want to run about 29-30 psi, and initially I was a little hesitant to run so close to the stock MAP limits...but now after doing it, it seem to be just fine if you want to run 29-30psi. Any more than that and I would definitely upgrade.

@BippityBopMeUp, zero issues installing 4 bar PUT. You'll just need the tune to account for it though....you can't just swap it on existing tune or the car will note the issue and you'll likely get limp mode or car might not even start.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I've seen my stock MAP read up to around 320 kPa, which is around 32psi of boost at sea level. I'm not sure if it's actually reading that high, or it's inferring some value from the PUT (I have a 4 bar PUT). But either way, fuel trims and such seem to be good to go.

I want to run about 29-30 psi, and initially I was a little hesitant to run so close to the stock MAP limits...but now after doing it, it seem to be just fine if you want to run 29-30psi. Any more than that and I would definitely upgrade.

@BippityBopMeUp, zero issues installing 4 bar PUT. You'll just need the tune to account for it though....you can't just swap it on existing tune or the car will note the issue and you'll likely get limp mode or car might not even start.
Yeah Sneeky told me that the boost we are seeing on the AP or another logger is not from the map it’s from a calculated value from PUT - minus the atmospheric pressure.

Yeah with the 4 bar on a map expecting to see the calibration of the 3 bar goes into limo mode if the car goes over 3-5 psi.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
"Relative Manifold Pressure" is MAP - atm pressure
"Boost Pressure" is PUT - atm pressure

IIRC you can log MAP and PUT directly via some other name in the log list.

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn

I will have the tuner account for the PUT sensor before he sends the new tune to me.

Looks like best bet is to install PUT sensor around same time I install turbo and new tune.

I thought maybe the car would behave normally if kept under the stock threshold even if the new sensor was put in.