GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do you do with your OEM parts?

sandman1979

So, I am like many of the people on here that are upgrading their MK7 golf, GTI, or R. Subsequently I have the OEM parts sitting around because I am unsure about what to do with them.
**BLUF - My GTI is my dream car and I intend to keep it until it is totaled so keeping OEM parts to assist with selling is not part of my scenario.
List of some OEM parts:
Airbox and piping
Turbo Muffler Delete
Downpipe
Turbo Inlet Pipe
Original Shift linkage
Subframe Insert
Turbo Outlet Pipe
Pendulum Mount
Turbo Back OEM Exhaust

Thanks for any thoughts given!
Brian

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
I've been stockpiling mine in case I need to put the car back to stock to sell or trade in. This may happen now that the R's are coming with the custom colors and I've wanted Jazz Blue for 21 years. :) Depends on how VW is optioning the car and what the out the door price will be.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Wheels are in my garage, soon to be hung up with my other spare set for my camry
Catback is in my dad's barn - soon to be in my shed
Airbox is in my shed

I have a problem with getting rid of things =P. One day I'll get rid of them once I know I'm not going back to stock for sure, but for now I'll hang on to them. Wheels are used in the winter so those are staying. Plus demand is pretty low for a low of oem parts

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Like others, I keep all of mine. The downpipe stays forever because every 2 years I have to switch back for a smog check.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I'm a hoarder :)

Thought about listing them on eBay but not sure if it's worth the hassle for how little money i'd get for them. So far the parts i have don't take up too much room (steering wheel, wheels, head rests, driver/passenger assemblies/glass/caps, etc). Pretty much i stuff everything into my parents house/garage as my condo is small hahaha.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I mostly just keep them just in case or I try to sell them. Never know if something might go wrong and I have the parts to switch back to OEM. Offerup has worked for me. A lot of flakes on there though haha

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I keep them as they are most of the time known working parts that I can flip out for troubleshooting.

I am also a person who keeps their car for 8-10 years typically, dont need to hold onto them for resale purposes but do anyways.

Things like Diverter Valves, wheels, downpipes, springs and such I keep. Shocks, mounts and other wear items I throw.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I kept them all,

wheels, taillights, intake, inlet, suspension (took them off at 800 miles)...etc.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I carry everything up into the attic.

Ironically, I sold my last car with the mods when I got he R, so now I'm stuck with a bunch of OEM parts, and a set of new unmounted PSS.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I hold some and sell others. I'm in the final stages of a lot of construction on the house/garage so I didn't have room for my stock catback, but I have my stock reverse lights and small stuff like that. I also haven't changed too much out yet but I plan on keeping a lot of it.

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
Kept every single one and they are stored in the basement. Car is going back to stock someday before I sell it/trade it in and I can make some $$ back selling them.

sandman1979

Well, overwhelmingly everyone keeps their stuff. I'm trying to downsize what I store but I guess I gotta keep room for this type of stuff :)..thanks for the input guys (and ladies?)

Brian

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
You don't have to do what everyone else does - do what you want with them