GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do you do with your added HP and TQ?

bcbcbc

Car(s)
GOlf MK7 1.8TSI
I am curious what you all do with your performance upgrades? Are you mostly daily drivers looking for some more joy out of the commute? Found some side streets where you can safely cruise swiftly? Or, do you take it to the track/all of the above?
Perhaps some even are just caught up in the upgrades, but don't have much of an opportunity to take advantage of them?

I am always on the lookout for some good abandoned side streets!

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I am curious what you all do with your performance upgrades? Are you mostly daily drivers looking for some more joy out of the commute? Found some side streets where you can safely cruise swiftly? Or, do you take it to the track/all of the above?
Perhaps some even are just caught up in the upgrades, but don't have much of an opportunity to take advantage of them?

I am always on the lookout for some good abandoned side streets!
Mostly track for me, occasional fun on back roads, but that isn’t and never should be a place to drive more than like 6-7/10ths..

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
All of the above. Today I was towing a 2000lb trailer on the highway and used it to merge safely.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Autocross. The 1.8 is a near-equal to the GTI in terms of suspension modification. For power, I'm JB4 and low diameter tires for additional torque. For most ax courses, this is a decent setup. Longer courses, more power would be helpful. This is a great activity for folks looking for a safe and legal speed fix.

Streetwise, I keep my driving tame, other than some occassional data logging.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Floor it leaving my neighborhood every single time. Been to the track. Been on hooning mountain runs. Love this little wagon. Basically the power mods make it fun to drive anytime.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Most of my power mods are just because a tune, turbo, intercooler, and exhaust are my "standard four-pack." My driving style doesn't necessitate any of that, but it sure is a pleasure to put it use from time to time, whether for fun or for a quick sprint to assert myself in traffic. :sneaky:

All of the above. Today I was towing a 2000lb trailer on the highway and used it to merge safely.
Nice! I didn't realize there are more nuts towing with their Golfs/GTIs... AND using the power. (y) Here's mine.
Basically the power mods make it fun to drive anytime.
Exactly! Even though I don't use the power very often, it's good to have the option.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I drive fun mountain roads with fun cars/ drivers. Track days also. My R is purely entertainment as we have a few vehicles with specific purposes.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I drive fun mountain roads with fun cars/ drivers. Track days also. My R is purely entertainment as we have a few vehicles with specific purposes.

+1...mainly canyon carving/back road blasting for me.
I have to get out with you one of these days for some canyon carving if my schedule ever allows! The track part of the equation has been embarrassing. I honestly thought I would have tracked my R at HPR quite a bit by now but with work, kids, + life its been a big fat zero. I haven't been on track since my Norcal days when I had my old M Coupe.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
+1...mainly canyon carving/back road blasting for me.
I have to get out with you one of these days for some canyon carving if my schedule ever allows! The track part of the equation has been embarrassing. I honestly thought I would have tracked my R at HPR quite a bit by now but with work, kids, + life its been a big fat zero. I haven't been on track since my Norcal days when I had my old M Coupe.
Man it would be really great to get to hpr for a few sessions or even come up to the hood for a little tour. I‘ll let you know next time I’m going to get out for a track day and hopefully we can make it happen, Cap’n!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Nice! I didn't realize there are more nuts towing with their Golfs/GTIs... AND using the power. (y) Here's mine.
My favorite thing is towing a heavy trailer with a small family econobox and still being faster than almost every car on the road. A restored late 60's Camaro once pulled up next to me at a light when I was towing one of the uhaul utility trailers and thought it was great and asked for a race. He was surprised when I said yes, and even more surprised when he only put 1 car on me digging to 80mph. When we stopped at the next light he was laughing uncontrollably, it was great!

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
HAHA!

A restored late 60's Camaro once pulled up next to me at a light when I was towing one of the uhaul utility trailers and thought it was great and asked for a race...
I have what I jokingly refer to as a "trailer kill." In short, someone in a tricked-out Honda Fit thought they would jump me at a stoplight to cut me off at a freeway entrance. I decided to have a bit of fun since this story also involved clearing a very large nest of wasps from my trailer. I gave him an easy dusting, even with a trailer full of junk in tow. It's hardly a worthy "kill," but fun to see his passenger laughing at him as I pulled away. See the full story here.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
That is a great sound! What do you have there?
Jakes downpipe (@GTI Jake )with a gesi cat and a borla catback. The catback is being replaced soon, it's too loud for traveling and it whistles under boost. Intake is a IEv2.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's a few IS38 wagons on the ToTD.

View attachment 250324
Capture.JPG