GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

what do u guys think 2017 24k autobahn or 2020 gti s

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
man howd you get them down to 29? I can't get dealers to budge on a gti s 2020

you live in Cali. Dealers don’t budge on anything in Cali, from what I’ve heard.

honestly - it might be worth considering a trip East for your car. You can get a brand new car for used car prices (~20% off MSRP) in DC. Or lightly used car for basically 30% off MSRP. I paid 25.5 for my Alltrack SE DAP/AP which MSRP’d for 36 in April.

you could find a car over there, buy a flight, and either drive it home over the course of a 2 or 3 day road trip, or you could ship it. In many cases, the price differential is so great that you will save money even shipping it lol.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
my gti issues kinda turned me off for them, but I think most people have had good luck, and maybe since it's 5 years of revisions they might be solid

So the MK7 has been in production since 2012. The early build date 2015 models (the first model year they were sold in America) DID have turbo failures, water pump failures, and rear suspension issues. There may have been one or two other individual “known issues.” But they were *all* resolved by the end of the 2015 Model year, as those issues had already existed in ROW models for about 2 years. They had solutions to the design flaws underway before they even rolled the MK7 out in America.

I’ve actually driven 130K miles total in 2 2015 MK7s without a single trip to a dealer for a CEL or other manufacturer defect.

so all this is to say your experience is definitely not the norm, and definitely because you got a 2015. Every model year since has been solid, besides the initial issues with the stalling engines on the 2019’s when they first released the new ECU’s.

Definitely don’t get a KIA man, don’t do it. At least get a Tiguan, you could get a used 2018/2019 with the people’s warranty and CPO, so you’d be covered B2B until 7 years/84K. You can go APR Plus on and it it’ll be a fun German SUV

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Definitely don’t get a KIA man, don’t do it. At least get a Tiguan, you could get a used 2018/2019 with the people’s warranty and CPO, so you’d be covered B2B until 7 years/84K. You can go APR Plus on and it it’ll be a fun German SUV
+1 to the tuned Tiguan. I considered it before getting my second GTI.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
my vote would be newer less content.....do you have need for suv or just want? I understand getting different after issues Mine has been solid for 30K 3 yrs

I would be glad of total...I had issues with cars that should have been totalled 2x. You get screwed either way but I prefer it all at once (Phrasing?)

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
So the MK7 has been in production since 2012. The early build date 2015 models (the first model year they were sold in America) DID have turbo failures, water pump failures, and rear suspension issues. There may have been one or two other individual “known issues.” But they were *all* resolved by the end of the 2015 Model year, as those issues had already existed in ROW models for about 2 years. They had solutions to the design flaws underway before they even rolled the MK7 out in America.

I’ve actually driven 130K miles total in 2 2015 MK7s without a single trip to a dealer for a CEL or other manufacturer defect.

so all this is to say your experience is definitely not the norm, and definitely because you got a 2015. Every model year since has been solid, besides the initial issues with the stalling engines on the 2019’s when they first released the new ECU’s.

not a single issue? man I guess I was just lucky, thanks for the info ,

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
not sure yet, I might get a 2018 gti se thats a lemon buyback with only 1k miles or so, from california. i talked to the dealer owner and he was saying ca is crazy for the cust, in this case the turbo was replaced, but the cust was so irate they wanted it bought back, and per ca laws they have to buy it back, I think here in az they have to fix it four times in a row or something for it to be lemon lawed, either that or a Kia Sportage since they are heavily discounted, but I think I'll regret not getting back into a gti

If you do buy the lemon one plan to keep it for a long time. Not saying theres anything wrong with it now but the buyback branded title will drastically affect resale value.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
guy won't budge from 24k lol guess I'll get a 2020 gti s

Penske has one in stock. I stopped in there to get some oil drain plugs but I didn't see the price on the S model they have.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI, C63S AMG
I would negotiate pricing on the 2017 Autobahn or wait for another. Funny you mentioned the CA lemon car. I saw that pop up in my search. Even if it's "just the turbo", as a rule, I never trust anyone that is trying to sell me something. I would want to see official paperwork stating why it was lemoned.

Just making sure you know what the Autobahn contains that may be important to you:
Better headlights
Leather
Driver power seats
Lane keeping assist
Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC = adjustable suspension)
Larger rear sway bar
Adaptive cruise control (DSG also has traffic stop and go)
Performance monitor
Fender stereo
Navigation
Parking assist
Dual zone climate control
Better wheels (assuming you like them over the base model)
Sunroof (but you don't want this from what I read)