GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do I need to buy a car out of state and register it in CO?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Going to look at a car in Kansas on Saturday. This is the first time I'm buying a used car out of state and was wondering what the process is like to get the car registered in Adams County.

Kansas probably doesn't have emissions so I'm assuming I'll have to get that done first, then a VIN verification, and then take the smog test, verification, Kansas title signed in my name, bill of sale (does it have to be notarized?) and ID to the motor vehicle office?

Thanks for any help.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Going to look at a car in Kansas on Saturday. This is the first time I'm buying a used car out of state and was wondering what the process is like to get the car registered in Adams County.

Kansas probably doesn't have emissions so I'm assuming I'll have to get that done first, then a VIN verification, and then take the smog test, verification, Kansas title signed in my name, bill of sale (does it have to be notarized?) and ID to the motor vehicle office?

Thanks for any help.
You’ll need the title, have to do emissions first before registration if the car is 6 or 7 years old

the bill of sale doesn’t have to be notarized. But it kinda depends. Sometimes they’ll ask for a bill of sale. Sometimes they don’t even ask for it.