GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

BikoLite

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 GTI SE
New rubber arrived this morning. Will be mounting later this week along with ceramic coating for the wheels.

IMG_4165.jpeg

Next step: supporting mods then Vortex!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah my bad. Should have added that in my original post.

I would have loved to have gotten the OE version, but I'm cheap.

In general, they're also less of a headache to set up (since they don't need coding and programming). I've used those AliExpress units in two cars and think they're great for the price.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
In general, they're also less of a headache to set up (since they don't need coding and programming). I've used those AliExpress units in two cars and think they're great for the price.
Now that your 2x OEM version also - Does the image resolution and brightness match on the the zhong like OE ? Cause everytime I seen the zhong in pics or vids it’s just seemed off and almost dusty - like the screen on the 90s big screen TV boxes

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Now that your 2x OEM version also - Does the image resolution and brightness match on the the zhong like OE ? Cause everytime I seen the zhong in pics or vids it’s just seemed off and almost dusty - like the screen on the 90s big screen TV boxes

The resolution and brightness is very comparable to the OEM ones. There are those subtle issues because it is a Chinese unit, but the actual look of the screen was fine.

The resolution on the Chinese units is actually higher than the OEM ones. The Chinese units are 1920x720, the OEM one is 1440x540

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I was supposed to get a used catted Baun downpipe from another user but the box arrived empty with a hole! I think its possible it was stolen mid transport? :cry: I was so disappointed when I picked up the box and it weighed nothing lmao. (shipped with Fedex) I was looking forward to putting that on tonight. Been in contact with the seller though he's a good dude (y)

As a follow up to this I started looking for downpipes again and picked up someone's catted Billy Boat off ebay. Still thinking about that other downpipe though... :cry:

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Please post a follow up when you get this installed. I've seen these online, but not installed, so I'm very curious, lol
IMG_5839.jpeg

Got it installed today. Installation was pretty straight forward. Haven’t played with it too much yet but it was worth what I paid for it.

Doesn’t look like there has been a software update as it said my firmware was up-to-date.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
View attachment 281358
Got it installed today. Installation was pretty straight forward. Haven’t played with it too much yet but it was worth what I paid for it.

Doesn’t look like there has been a software update as it said my firmware was up-to-date.
Bonus! It came with a CEL!!

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Last edited:

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Bonus! It came with a CEL!!
Yeah I was beginning to wonder if my OEM cluster was malfunctioning? Turns out it was 🤣

Now I want to buy one

Edit: looks like this is it https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256803189143446.html

Are there any features that don't work going with the Ali unit vs OEM? I'm totally down to buy this if everything works as it should.
That appears to be the same unit. I believe they all come out of the same factory.

Everything seems to work. Like others have mentioned, the water temp gauge reads in °C and the quantity to refuel reads in liters. Not a deal breaker in my book. The display brightness changes at predetermined times for day/night. I do like that I can have my digital speed, average fuel consumption, miles to empty, and oil temp displayed on the dash at one time.

I can try to put together a video showing the features if anyone is interested.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Yeah I was beginning to wonder if my OEM cluster was malfunctioning? Turns out it was 🤣

That appears to be the same unit. I believe they all come out of the same factory.

Everything seems to work. Like others have mentioned, the water temp gauge reads in °C and the quantity to refuel reads in liters. Not a deal breaker in my book. The display brightness changes at predetermined times for day/night. I do like that I can have my digital speed, average fuel consumption, miles to empty, and oil temp displayed on the dash at one time.

I can try to put together a video showing the features if anyone is interested.
I'd be interested in that. I do like my analog dash however having more information available would be nice. I don't plan on selling this car anytime soon, hell I'll order it and see what happens.

The only thing I wish it could do is display Android auto maps on there, but it ain't a deal breaker. I guess I'd rather have car info displayed there and the maps on the head unit.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I'd be interested in that. I do like my analog dash however having more information available would be nice. I don't plan on selling this car anytime soon, hell I'll order it and see what happens.

The only thing I wish it could do is display Android auto maps on there, but it ain't a deal breaker. I guess I'd rather have car info displayed there and the maps on the head unit.
Idk about the Ali clusters, but the OEM one can display both stock VW maps in the cluster and Android Auto maps on the infotainment screen as long as you aren't actively navigating somewhere.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

They don't really have any more information available, just the same stuff as the OEM one presented in a different way. You can technically have Android Auto maps there by mirroring your phone, but the screen mirroring is way more of a gimmick than something actually useful.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT