GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I didn’t need to take the throttle body off.

Both Humble Mechanic’s and FCP’s videos are very good for removing the manifold.

I didn’t have a big enough compressor for walnut blasting so I did a chemical cleaning and used the zip-ties in cordless drill method. I think it worked really well. But my valves weren’t very dirty to begin with.

View attachment 261524View attachment 261527
What's the zip tie method?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What's the zip tie method?

Skip to the 13 minute mark.

I also used a combination of brake clean, CRC GDI cleaner and liqui moly intake valve cleaner to help loosen the carbon. And my oil extractor to suck out the gunk.

$1 bin tooth brushes are also very helpful in cleaning the walls of the intake port.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I didn’t need to take the throttle body off.

Both Humble Mechanic’s and FCP’s videos are very good for removing the manifold.

I didn’t have a big enough compressor for walnut blasting so I did a chemical cleaning and used the zip-ties in cordless drill method. I think it worked really well. But my valves weren’t very dirty to begin with.

View attachment 261524View attachment 261527

I used it as an excuse to get a new compressor. Was able to get this one new/unused off FB marketplace for $240.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...e-Electric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/1001014062

Should be much better than the one I got for free off the side of the road. Being a "quiet" one was an important factor to me lol.

With the new compressor, all in it'll be like $450 or so. Which is still like half of what I'd probably pay at a shop, if I could even find one around me that does walnut blasting. The carbon cleaning specific stuff was only like $150 of the cost.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I used it as an excuse to get a new compressor. Was able to get this one new/unused off FB marketplace for $240.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...e-Electric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/1001014062

Should be much better than the one I got for free off the side of the road. Being a "quiet" one was an important factor to me lol.

With the new compressor, all in it'll be like $450 or so. Which is still like half of what I'd probably pay at a shop, if I could even find one around me that does walnut blasting. The carbon cleaning specific stuff was only like $150 of the cost.
I love excuses to buy new tools. As much as I'd love to have a big compressor I just can't justify it at the moment.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Oh, I bought some things - I got a Kii plaid license plate cover, I already had one, found a used one locally, now I'm gonna put it on. Felt stupid just rolling around with one. And I also bought some OEM Cherry LED tails, for $300 CAD shipped from Alberta, took a risk on them, but the guy wrote well during our exchange, used proper grammar and punctuation, and that made me more comfortable to buy them sight unseen. Today I need to put that throttle pipe on, fill her with coolant, pray that no coolant and fuel leak and hope that I'm good to go.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I love excuses to buy new tools. As much as I'd love to have a big compressor I just can't justify it at the moment.

A new compressor has been on my list for a while. I was able to hold off for a while after I found one for free on the side of the road. And while it "works", it makes a mothefucking racket when it's turned on, and leaks a bit no matter how tight you tighten down the fitting, put new tape on it, etc... So it was time. Plus, they're just handy to have around.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Oh, I bought some things - I got a Kii plaid license plate cover, I already had one, found a used one locally, now I'm gonna put it on. Felt stupid just rolling around with one. And I also bought some OEM Cherry LED tails, for $300 CAD shipped from Alberta, took a risk on them, but the guy wrote well during our exchange, used proper grammar and punctuation, and that made me more comfortable to buy them sight unseen. Today I need to put that throttle pipe on, fill her with coolant, pray that no coolant and fuel leak and hope that I'm good to go.
OEM Euro or NAR LED? Either way, nice score! Vaguely related, anyone know if Klii is ever going to open back up again for orders?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Skip to the 13 minute mark.

I also used a combination of brake clean, CRC GDI cleaner and liqui moly intake valve cleaner to help loosen the carbon. And my oil extractor to suck out the gunk.

$1 bin tooth brushes are also very helpful in cleaning the walls of the intake port.
I'll use Butch's Bore Shine. That thing is great for carbon removal.

Thanks for the link. This makes me more motivated to do the valve cleaning myself instead of taking the car to a shop.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Carbon cleaning supplies just keep on rolling in. Today is the wand from FCP and a pair of hose clamp pliers.

20220926_172953.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Got the coolerworx shifter installed... pretty extensive install lol, even with the car on the quickjacks. With the taller shifter and Ebrake handle to deal with i couldn’t get the console back in the same way I removed it so it looks like I may have to remove the driver seat to get it in.
The shifter box on the 7.5s and later 7 got a minor change Inside the box on the side to side linkage. So I had to make a spacer insert to fill the 6mm to 10mm interior void.
....Here a little sample of going through the gears, This is with both the coolerworx and sigma 6 (after tests drives I may remove the sigma 6 of the shifts are too short)

I suspect my 2014 built Mk7 won't need the spacers... but better to be prepared when it comes time to install the CW shfiter.
And so we're here, the most boring pickups imaginable, e-clips and nylon washers 😁
1664234951734.png