GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
24mm 12-point impact socket. Gonna attempt a front wheel bearing replacement this weekend I think. Honestly doesn’t look that difficult, and I did my brakes ~21k mi ago so most the bolts shouldn’t be too hard to break. (Famous last words)
Don't do like I did and sprain your wrist trying to break the nut free. Use PB Blaster first and let it sit for 10 minutes.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Yeah I got the bmp kit. Curious how it'll all work out. Their instructions say you need led reverse lights to avoid issues, but they're built into the tails themselves... 🧐
Ok cool. I used weed eater line to pull the wires around. Be careful around the rubber boots where you have to run wires from car body-to the hatch lit itself. They pop out but break easily. I used a small trim tool to pop the clip side free first.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yeah I got the bmp kit. Curious how it'll all work out. Their instructions say you need led reverse lights to avoid issues, but they're built into the tails themselves... 🧐
You should be fine. I'm fairly sure the lights are the same across the board. Biggest thing is take your time and test everything before you install, work in as warm of an environment as possible (i.e., don't do them in the winter like a certain jackass did because he was super impatient). And I didn't need to remove the boots for the hatch cable guide things at all, just be cautious not to pierce them.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
You should be fine. I'm fairly sure the lights are the same across the board. Biggest thing is take your time and test everything before you install, work in as warm of an environment as possible (i.e., don't do them in the winter like a certain jackass did because he was super impatient). And I didn't need to remove the boots for the hatch cable guide things at all, just be cautious not to pierce them.
The Vland's light up a little different in respect to the parking/running lights. They include illumination in the brake light area that break-up the typical perimeter outline of the others. I dont care for the extra illumination and even asked Zero about it. Lately been contemplating swapping the outer assemblies out to see if that corrects it. With other things taking priority on the GTI first, this will be one of those things that I tidy up and correct later to get the car just the way I want it.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Ok cool. I used weed eater line to pull the wires around. Be careful around the rubber boots where you have to run wires from car body-to the hatch lit itself. They pop out but break easily. I used a small trim tool to pop the clip side free first.
Weed eater cord is smart. I was going to just use some of the random steel or aluminum wire I have lying around.
Yeah I plan to just work in my garage, but it can get cold! I got an insulated door last year and that helps, but I still have two uninsulated walls. I'm lucky to have a 30 degree garage when it's 0 out!

And you're right, I'll have to wire it all up to test before final install and pulling cable.

Side note, bmp included the link to the shopdap video where the guy just yanks plastic bits and wraps cords around the neatly packaged oe harness... Amateur hour man...

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Not really the thread for it, but on the note of quality of life upgrades...
Some of the best money i spent on the car was the DDock for the mobile.
i *loved* my matching red USB cable, but going from this:
View attachment 296079

To this:
View attachment 296080

Was worth every penny. i also love that i can prop the mobile in there without plugging it in and nudge it in while driving if i actually need it.
Love my ddock but i think it’s getting a little worn out. I’m going to try adding a piece of tape or something to the cable end to stiffen it up.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Weed eater cord is smart. I was going to just use some of the random steel or aluminum wire I have lying around.

Yeah I plan to just work in my garage, but it can get cold! I got an insulated door last year and that helps, but I still have two uninsulated walls. I'm lucky to have a 30 degree garage when it's 0 out!

And you're right, I'll have to wire it all up to test before final install and pulling cable.

Side note, bmp included the link to the shopdap video where the guy just yanks plastic bits and wraps cords around the neatly packaged oe harness... Amateur hour man...
Yea I chose that because it is strong and pliable. I also followed the OE harness and sort of integrated the additional harness to the OE, then followed that up with harness wrap. You honestly can't tell it's modified, but that was the whole goal. For videos, I followed this YT guy named "RotaryGuy." He has an excellent video on this process. My coding was provided by the very generous Zero.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yea I chose that because it is strong and pliable. I also followed the OE harness and sort of integrated the additional harness to the OE, then followed that up with harness wrap. You honestly can't tell it's modified, but that was the whole goal. For videos, I followed this YT guy named "RotaryGuy." He has an excellent video on this process. My coding was provided by the very generous Zero.

Yeah, that's the way you SHOULD be doing it. Good work!

14 years ago I had a boss who loved to say "do it right once and you won't be doing it twice". Very ocd guy, but wonderful to work for. We used to go in all the time after someone else had done a cabling job (low voltage installations) and I'd have to rip out 90% of the previous work in order to clean it out, make it neat, and provide adequate pathing. Customers always moaned about having to pay a second person, but after showing them the before and after we'd get called back for anything new they wanted.

GTIscream

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Mk7.5
Wicked awesome!!! Did soundwave come with the bird or dog that came out of his chest????
The bird. Specifically laserbeak, not that wannabe buzzsaw.

laserbeak.jpg

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI

I have 36” zip ties that work great as a fish tape. I’ve done the tail lights harness twice as well as running the harness for the helix sub.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I have 36” zip ties that work great as a fish tape. I’ve done the tail lights harness twice as well as running the harness for the helix sub.
Also a great choice.

At some point a roll of legit fish tape starts to make sense, but I've use everything from bike cable housing + stranded wire to 1/4" wooden dowels for fish and push rods. I did all the cabling for high and low voltage in my home office with those two.

One useful thing you can also do with those plastic panels is keep some felt tape around. Simply use a bit around the tips of the male ends and line some around any areas that make flat contact with the body. It cuts down on noise tremendously and makes a sturdier connection when reattaching. It costs just a bit, but given how much plastic flexes (and is never the same after being removed once) it can really keep things feeling "new".

Kart17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Aero pieces are in.

Attachments

• IMG_9820.jpeg
    IMG_9820.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Blaze intake came in. Probably install when I do my oil change, dsg service and bevel box fluid.