GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Got SM-10s in. 17x9

Attachments

• 00CE9F1C-0E00-491A-9E76-23CACADC06B1.jpeg
    00CE9F1C-0E00-491A-9E76-23CACADC06B1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Got some Macan brake calipers and some 345x30 rotors off Black Friday sales. Was gonna paint them red (or maybe gold but it did not "pop" to me) to match and used G2 caliper paint, but did not like the results. I should've taken it apart as it started to dry and get clumpy during painting. Theres a good video showing how to do this and thats what I used to take it apart. Gonna strip it and powder coat it. I figure if Im gonna do that might as well do something extreme. I know that Porche has Acid Green brake calipers and I seen one on a white Cayman and figured what the hell. Couldn't really find an exact match so I got Glowing Yellow off Prismatic Powders. I figure if its not acid greeny at least it'll be gold'y.
IMG_9242.JPG

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Got some Macan brake calipers and some 345x30 rotors off Black Friday sales. Was gonna paint them red (or maybe gold but it did not "pop" to me) to match and used G2 caliper paint, but did not like the results. I should've taken it apart as it started to dry and get clumpy during painting. Theres a good video showing how to do this and thats what I used to take it apart. Gonna strip it and powder coat it. I figure if Im gonna do that might as well do something extreme. I know that Porche has Acid Green brake calipers and I seen one on a white Cayman and figured what the hell. Couldn't really find an exact match so I got Glowing Yellow off Prismatic Powders. I figure if its not acid greeny at least it'll be gold'y.
View attachment 268677
I’ve been reading into this upgrade recently. Where did you purchase the setup?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
View attachment 268677

Sounds like my exact path. Paint with G2, not happy with results, just send them off to be stripped and powdercoated.

You really don't have to go as far as that video and split them in half. You can if you want, but it's not necessary. Regardless, I wouldn't suggest disassembling them in the way they show in that video. More than likely, you'll damage your pistons digging at them with a screwdriver like he did.

Get a chunk of 2x4 (it has so many uses!), put it in the middle of the caliper. Take an air compressor, and use it to blow air in the fluid inlet. That'll push out the pistons. The 2x4 is just a safety measure to stop them from shooting out and smashing into each other. Then they'll be much easier to work out, and you don't have to worry about chewing them up with a screwdriver. Do that before you split them in half, if you go that route.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So G2 gives that bad of a result? Dang…

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So G2 gives that bad of a result? Dang…

Depends on your skill level. In my case, I didn't do a good job. I'd put it on me, not on G2.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Depends on your skill level. In my case, I didn't do a good job. I'd put it on me, not on G2.
Picking up a used vwr 6 pot bbk and really don’t want to disassemble for powder coating. Black to red though not sure G2 would work well

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Pass on the TTRS brake setup on Vortex?
Yeah had too…..what I was going to have to do to make it a full kit for me was a stretch to far unfortunately. Those calipers were gorgeous

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Replacement antlers... since Thanksgiving I've been mindful not to roll the rear windows down. But it was nice out on Monday so I rolled them down. One antler blew into the car, the other into the grocery store parking lot. I circle the row, come around to see it being run over 😁. And some of those annoying "clips" for the exhaust tunnel heat shield. I mostly destroyed the old ones taking it down so now they're not holding well 🤦‍♂️.
1671828153237.png

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I’ve been reading into this upgrade recently. Where did you purchase the setup?
Calipers from Deleware Porche. Had decent shipping cost (to HI). Mk6R rotors/pads from R1 Concepts with Black Friday sale (Note I was an idiot and bought Mk6R pads. Won't work with Macan calipers 😩 so I bought Macan brake pads). Brake lines from Techna-Fit, email Chris@techna-fit.com with the specs mentioned in the link.

Like Acadia18 mentioned, nothing wrong with the G2. I did a shitty job; should've taken the fittings off instead of trying to paint around them. I did not take out the pistons, plan on just taping it off with high temp tape. Never gonna see the inside part anyway.

Last edited: