GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That looks like a lot of clips… i also like the sliding cover.. where did that come from?
Mk7s with electronic parking brake have the sliding cover. North America that was only the Golf R but outside of the states the electronic is more common from what I can tell. I retrofitted electronic parking brake to my Golf TDI.

Requires replacement of the entire center console and various pieces underneath. I didn't even think about the start stop button when I ordered the Golf R console on eBay. And I had it in the garage for at least 6 months without opening it 🤦🏿‍♂️. By that point I had already ripped out too much stuff to go back so I installed it, with the hole for the start stop button... and it's been mocking me ever since.

Kdubya

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Mk7s with electronic parking brake have the sliding cover. North America that was only the Golf R but outside of the states the electronic is more common from what I can tell. I retrofitted electronic parking brake to my Golf TDI.

Requires replacement of the entire center console and various pieces underneath. I didn't even think about the start stop button when I ordered the Golf R console on eBay. And I had it in the garage for at least 6 months without opening it 🤦🏿‍♂️. By that point I had already ripped out too much stuff to go back so I installed it, with the hole for the start stop button... and it's been mocking me ever since.
That’s crazy that it needs more various pieces - why can’t it just have the same connecting points but different aspects lol

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Clearly, the proper solution was to fully retrofit kessy and utilize the star/stop button.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Clearly, the proper solution was to fully retrofit kessy and utilize the star/stop button.
People aren't even having success retro fitting rear handles to their factory equipped KESSY cars... unless their car came with the module that has the pins for the rear handles, early modules don't have the pins. My understanding is the KESSY basic settings need to be done while connected to VAG servers and the problem is the servers will never have keys for a KESSY module that doesn't belong to you VIN.

Getting a start stop button to work (not the handles) wouldn't be too difficult I don't think, at least electrically speaking. In practice, I don't know how far away my key can be from the ignition/column and still work. I guess that could be tested with my paired key and a non-paired key that has been cut.

If the answer to that is a few feet away then it could work as fake KESSY and the key could stay in my pocket. If the answer is a few inches well... It would mean sticking the key in the ignition and then pressing the start button (weird) or disassembling the fob and leaving the paired part attached inside of the steering column trim. This could work but then the key is always in the car so anytime it was unlocked anybody could walk up and start it.

Hmmm, that got long, decided to put it in spoiler tags 😂.

And has proof that I did go through all of this in my mind before digging up that center console part number, here's the start stop button I bought, in black 😎
PXL_20221215_044014603.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R