GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That thread is great. Over engineering costs money. If you feel something is over engineered (and thus overpriced) for its purpose then don't buy it šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.
Storable's wires are over-engineered also, but they aren't 130 dollars.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
bro eqt is gonna harass and sue you for selling cgk's

srsly i heard someone thinks that's what happened to another person none of us know

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
He also don't run a business, have to pay insurance, salaries, overhead and try to make a profit... this is why I closed my shop, because people kept complaining why was I charging more than Humpty-Dumpty doing detailing on his garage or out of the back of his pickup truck.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
He also don't run a business, have to pay insurance, salaries, overhead and try to make a profit... this is why I closed my shop, because people kept complaining why was I charging more than Humpty-Dumpty doing detailing on his garage or out of the back of his pickup truck.

This doesn't change the fact at there is an alternative that's just as good, for cheaper now.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
There can be differing degrees of over engineering, with correspondingly different costs. To say nothing of the cost of running a business, as @Maiden69 mentioned. I do aviation installs professionally, and tons of wiring of my own for my car/hobbies. If I was selling some of the harnesses I've built for myself (as a business) I would need to include business overhead. Maybe I decide that for harness I'm selling I'm going to do terminations using calibrated crimpers. Not necessary, and maybe I wouldn't go that far, but if I did go that far I'm charging for it.

To determine how over engineered EQT or StorableComa's solution is someone would need to do a study of the intended benefit (let's assume using something excessive like high quality 0 gauge, high temp heat shrink/sleeving, splices, etc.) then continue testing while reducing the size/quality of the wire, terminations and splices until the benefit is measurably decreased below some threshold that has been set. Then would be testing of the durability of sleeving/heatshrink or whatever. With all that data (that is expensive to get, if entirely possibly at all) an individual or business could decide what materials they were going to use. If that data was published then customers could decide what degree of over engineering they are willing to pay for.

As I expect these studies have not been conducted (and likely never will be) it's at the discretion of the individual or business making the harness to choose their materials/tooling/etc. Then set a price, and let the customers decide. The argument that $130 is too much doesn't account for any of that. It might be more than I'm willing to pay, but that's not the same thing. Some no name "high temp insulation" wiring from eBay coupled with AutoZone terminal rings, proper pins for the VW plug and wire nuts from the grocery store could very well provide the same benefit. But I'm not paying for that.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Do you think we could find someone who could air flow test the multiple grounding kits and maybe do a lengthy writeup with some graphs and charts?!?

šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
This doesn't change the fact at there is an alternative that's just as good, for cheaper now.
Thatā€™s not the fact thatā€™s being addressed (or denied) by him thoughā€¦. Itā€™s the statement that itā€™s eqtā€™s price point is what it is cause itā€™s just to take advantage of the consumers and rob them, etc.

Iā€™m sure their approach for the margins are to match what all their (and 034s) other overseas manufactured products make, Iā€™m willing to bet that even at their current price point the eqt kit is one of eqts lower profit margin products of their catalog.

Sign sincerely - someone thatā€™s about to purchase a harness from @StorableComa lol

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thatā€™s not the fact thatā€™s being addressed (or denied) by him thoughā€¦. Itā€™s the statement that itā€™s eqtā€™s price point is what it is cause itā€™s just to take advantage of the consumers and rob them, etc.

Iā€™m sure their approach for the margins are to match what all their (and 034s) other overseas manufactured products make, Iā€™m willing to bet that even at their current price point the eqt kit is one of eqts lower profit margin products of their catalog.

Sign sincerely - someone thatā€™s about to purchase a harness from @StorableComa lol

I'm not even going to entertain the logic that a bigger company's products should cost more because they have more overhead. I personally don't want to pay for any part of EQT's marketing budget, or Dave's salary, etc. I can understand passing R&D costs.. But the other stuff is a little crazy. They should be selling more product to cover that stuff. The fact that you're going to buy storable's cables (bravo) means the market doesn't agree what they are doing is right.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
There can be differing degrees of over engineering, with correspondingly different costs. To say nothing of the cost of running a business, as @Maiden69 mentioned. I do aviation installs professionally, and tons of wiring of my own for my car/hobbies. If I was selling some of the harnesses I've built for myself (as a business) I would need to include business overhead. Maybe I decide that for harness I'm selling I'm going to do terminations using calibrated crimpers. Not necessary, and maybe I wouldn't go that far, but if I did go that far I'm charging for it.

To determine how over engineered EQT or StorableComa's solution is someone would need to do a study of the intended benefit (let's assume using something excessive like high quality 0 gauge, high temp heat shrink/sleeving, splices, etc.) then continue testing while reducing the size/quality of the wire, terminations and splices until the benefit is measurably decreased below some threshold that has been set. Then would be testing of the durability of sleeving/heatshrink or whatever. With all that data (that is expensive to get, if entirely possibly at all) an individual or business could decide what materials they were going to use. If that data was published then customers could decide what degree of over engineering they are willing to pay for.

As I expect these studies have not been conducted (and likely never will be) it's at the discretion of the individual or business making the harness to choose their materials/tooling/etc. Then set a price, and let the customers decide. The argument that $130 is too much doesn't account for any of that. It might be more than I'm willing to pay, but that's not the same thing. Some no name "high temp insulation" wiring from eBay coupled with AutoZone terminal rings, proper pins for the VW plug and wire nuts from the grocery store could very well provide the same benefit. But I'm not paying for that.
I've got testing with smaller gauge wires. I'm using 16 awg to 10 awg, I run it bare without sleeving to test the base construction. Been running it for several months to test base design.

No issues running smaller than my final product with solder shrink rather than step down crimps. I use all raychem or shrink flex shrink, US made Kable Kontrol PET or Insultherm Techflex, or on the CGK techflex trufit.

No ebay special materials. OEM spec GXL, TXL wire. Molex or raychem crimps and quality sleeves.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Replacement dongle for OS tuning- hopefully firing it up tonight and flashing a base file.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
As to the business cost debate. Overhead wouldn't compare to economies of scale for base material production. Larger business can drop much more capitol on inventory than I can. Yes they have more base cost at the end of the day, but their material cost should be half of mine.

Anyhow, happy to answer any questions anyone has.