GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Mishimoto Intercooler. He's a biiiig dude, at almost 31 lbs. I also received their upgraded piping kit, but I can't use it due to my 7-speed DSG.

Forgot to take a pic of the intercooler, but here's one of the kit:
I have that IC and the charge pipes on my GTI 6mt. You are going to love it.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
A few oil filters and drain plugs.

Also got an EMD metal coolant adapter to replace the plastic OEM part that seems prone to breaking from heat/age. I'm heading out on a road trip and the OEM piece makes me nervous. Not sure whether to change it preemptively or have it ready to install if something goes wrong. I don't really want to mess with the car the day before leaving. The installation seems pretty straightforward so maybe I'll give it a go.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
A few oil filters and drain plugs.

Also got an EMD metal coolant adapter to replace the plastic OEM part that seems prone to breaking from heat/age. I'm heading out on a road trip and the OEM piece makes me nervous. Not sure whether to change it preemptively or have it ready to install if something goes wrong. I don't really want to mess with the car the day before leaving. The installation seems pretty straightforward so maybe I'll give it a go.
Update us on how the install goes, I bought one as well and I'm waiting for the inevitable turbo swap to put it in. I've heard that you want to have coolant on hand otherwise I'd have done it by now, but if I'm gonna be in there anyway it makes more sense to me to wait. The real question now is how big do I go -- IS38 (FWD GTI) or Vortex? XL just seems like a little too much.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Update us on how the install goes, I bought one as well and I'm waiting for the inevitable turbo swap to put it in. I've heard that you want to have coolant on hand otherwise I'd have done it by now, but if I'm gonna be in there anyway it makes more sense to me to wait. The real question now is how big do I go -- IS38 (FWD GTI) or Vortex? XL just seems like a little too much.
I just switched to an IS38 myself. It was ok for me cuz I got a sweet deal on a IS38, and Unitronic cut me a huge break on the tune upgrade. Performance wise its good, but I was hoping for more. Now Im back trying to decide build the motor and get a Typhoon, or not build and get a Vortex. Really just not sure if another 100hp will satisfy me with what it would cost. I am one of those that think, this is good, but I know there is more that can be achieved.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I just switched to an IS38 myself. It was ok for me cuz I got a sweet deal on a IS38, and Unitronic cut me a huge break on the tune upgrade. Performance wise its good, but I was hoping for more. Now Im back trying to decide build the motor and get a Typhoon, or not build and get a Vortex. Really just not sure if another 100hp will satisfy me with what it would cost. I am one of those that think, this is good, but I know there is more that can be achieved.
My thing is, I'm lazy. I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole of MPI/fueling mods, exotic fuels, etc. I want a fun turnkey car, and I want it to be faster than most comparable cars. EQT Stage 1 has made the car great, but I can't help but get the itch for juuuuuust a little more. I really think 400hp on all seasons is about the reasonable limit, and as a bolt-on solution the Vortex is super easy. The IS38+ is a thought, but I don't want to screw with the downpipe either, so that kind of makes me hesitant. I'm just an old man rambling though, I'll probably wind up leaving it alone at this point save for some cosmetic items.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
My thing is, I'm lazy. I don't really want to go down the rabbit hole of MPI/fueling mods, exotic fuels, etc. I want a fun turnkey car, and I want it to be faster than most comparable cars. EQT Stage 1 has made the car great, but I can't help but get the itch for juuuuuust a little more. I really think 400hp on all seasons is about the reasonable limit, and as a bolt-on solution the Vortex is super easy. The IS38+ is a thought, but I don't want to screw with the downpipe either, so that kind of makes me hesitant. I'm just an old man rambling though, I'll probably wind up leaving it alone at this point save for some cosmetic items.
I'm older myself and I will share some info. I was making advertised Unitronic Stage 2 power, plus a little extra because of other mods. I have since then added my Mishimoto IC setup and a few other small power adders. With the IS38, retune, "ruth" sparkplugs, and octane bump (using Lucas Oil products) I am somewhere around 98 Octane. No actual dyno YET, but butt dyno it feels like just shy of 400, or maybe even that. My buddies is similar mods to me just different IC (the IE intercooler is what he has), he dyno'd 402whp on a custom EQT tune, same fueling treatment as me. My car is just slightly faster and at about 85 I slowly started pulling away from him. EDIT** My car I think breathes a little better than his. He has an OEM air intake system, where as I have a full Cobb intake system. We both have turbo elbow upgrades. ** Get the IS38, you will love it.

Last edited:

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
.... I really think 400hp on all seasons is about the reasonable limit, and as a bolt-on solution the Vortex is super easy. The IS38+ is a thought, but I don't want to screw with the downpipe either, so that kind of makes me hesitant. I'm just an old man rambling though, I'll probably wind up leaving it alone at this point save for some cosmetic items.
Huh?

I've got less than 400 hp on fairly fresh summer tires (general g-max RS) and second gear is spin city.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Huh?

I've got less than 400 hp on fairly fresh summer tires (general g-max RS) and second gear is spin city.
Mounts would significantly improve this.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I was spinning 2nd when it was stock. Spinning 3rd at stage 2, now with IS38 it's a big fat NO to throttle stomp.. you gotta roll into it. Tires are Conti' extreme contacts...

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I was spinning 2nd when it was stock. Spinning 3rd at stage 2, now with IS38 it's a big fat NO to throttle stomp.. you gotta roll into it. Tires are Conti' extreme contacts...
I'm EQT stage 2 (93 octane) as well. Not spinning third unless I do something really dumb, or it's raining, but second has been an issue. I haven't been slamming the throttle...I have however been expecting my tires to put up more of a fight.

I don't want to imagine having more power, less grippy tires, and trying to drive aggressively. Maybe an R can get away with it but our FWD machines are going to struggle to put that power down.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'm eventually going to end up with EQT stage 2 (93 octane) as well and I'd like to get close to 400hp if possible but I don't "feel" like I'd need more than that. I remember saying, "I don't need more than this.." when I first got the R yet, here we are. I'm running on Michelin Pilots right now and I still manage to chirp them every now and then. And I think I'm one of older guys as well as I'm nearing half a century, LOL.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I'm eventually going to end up with EQT stage 2 (93 octane) as well and I'd like to get close to 400hp if possible but I don't "feel" like I'd need more than that. I remember saying, "I don't need more than this.." when I first got the R yet, here we are. I'm running on Michelin Pilots right now and I still manage to chirp them every now and then. And I think I'm one of older guys as well as I'm nearing half a century, LOL.
I spun the hell out of Pilot's, switched to Firehawk's (summer) and have Conti's on now because rainy season kicked in.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Huh?

I’ve got about 4k on my PS4S and I’m spinning second and sometimes 3rd. Upgraded mounts are on the list.