GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I think its the poor paint coverage of the black paint at the bottom edge.

Personally if I bought replica headlights I wouldn't expect OEM quality at less than half the price...

Can this paint defect even be seen from a normal standing distance?

Exactly, the black paint coverage is what is mainly bothering me.
Trust me I wasn't expecting OEM quality by any means. Ed's reputation for quality is what sold me on his lights, I think I just expected a bit better.
But you're probably right, at standing distance it likely won't be noticeable.

A large part of my job is quality control, I have higher standards than most when it comes to things like this.
I'm not trying to kick up dust over nothing. If no one else can really say that they think they look off, then I'll trust that it's just my eye for detail.
It's a curse really lol

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I think its the poor paint coverage of the black paint at the bottom edge.

Personally if I bought replica headlights I wouldn't expect OEM quality at less than half the price...

Can this paint defect even be seen from a normal standing distance?
this is what i was thinking, stand 2 feet away, can you even see it? I know it sucks to have something like that, but it may be one of those things that only really you are gonna know OP

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
this is what i was thinking, stand 2 feet away, can you even see it? I know it sucks to have something like that, but it may be one of those things that only really you are gonna know OP

True, true.
I think I set myself up for failure really. In the past I had replaced some light housings on a BRZ (2 different brands) and both sets were higher quality than OEM. They looked incredible.
I think I expected similar quality based on research. But that cannot be guaranteed.
Live and learn!

Ohidub_99.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack
Sucks that that was the outcome... but I guess it’s one of those things....
I put mine on yesterday, while not perfect yet, the fit is pretty decent, but will have to do some more fine-tuning to get the fit “just right” and the beams need adjusting.... but it’s going to rain all day, so it’ll have to wait for another day. (Will be a good test for water-tightness) ...
but I can definitely say I am impressed with the light output of the LED setup, and the cutoffs are nice and clean, could see any light leaks that would cause unnecessary glare...
and was pleasantly surprised to find out the high-beams were LED as well... (eds site makes it seem like they were going to be halogen equipped by the way the description is worded)

I’ll get some good night time pics once I get the beam alignment fine tuned correctly.
7A1E334E-8D70-4854-8A84-3AB51CEB3849.jpeg
B7014513-69F2-4318-B28D-20232EE65074.jpeg
FCBCF061-4D56-4007-B291-6335AE40DFBA.jpeg

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
True, true.
I think I set myself up for failure really. In the past I had replaced some light housings on a BRZ (2 different brands) and both sets were higher quality than OEM. They looked incredible.
I think I expected similar quality based on research. But that cannot be guaranteed.
Live and learn!
well, at least when they are on, noone will be able to tell unless your superhuman lol

dbaaj

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6sp DBP
Well, my Eibach ProKit from Germany arrived. I ordered it off of Amazon.de and took 13 days to get here. I can't wait to have them installed.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
How difficult is it to insert those new bushings? I'm thinking of picking up a set as well.

Needs a large hydraulic press and an appropriately sized bushing press (normally I'd say socket but it's BIG). My VW dealer is doing it for me for free, I was quoted 1 hour of work at another place. (note- this is with the LCA already removed from the car, it's a much bigger job otherwise). Also note it doesn't quite press in flush, so you might want a spacing ring to make sure it goes to the right depth.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
This came in surprisingly fast once it shipped...only took 3 days to get to Cali from Latvia! FedEx FTW! 😁
20201029_190640.jpg

Hopefully I'll never have to use this, but it's nice to know I have one just in case...
20201020_185647.jpg

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Follow up to my follow up on the BEC headlights.

Installed them last night and they look great. Had a small issue with one of the LEDs not lighting up, but after opening up the back of the housing saw a disconnected plug. After verifying the opposite lamp had those plugs connected, put em together and viola it worked.

Any small imperfections are not noticeable from any standing distance.

All in all I’m happy with them.

9B54B5D7-4558-4CB7-AF30-16E0E9D44FAB.jpeg
25B584C2-A808-46D3-837F-6CB9032498FC.jpeg
78E17824-5265-4687-94B9-1FF59BFB18CC.jpeg

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Headlights look great and the upgraded appearance definitely takes the spotlight over the slight issues you had.

Ohidub_99.5

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Alltrack
After getting mine in, they work great, light output is awesome, just need to do some fine tuning still on beam alignment and my passenger side doesn’t quiet sit flush enough to the fender area where the rubber gasket is... probably going to pull the bumper again and “oblong” the mounting holes to give me a little more horizontal wiggle room to get it fully flush... besides that, can’t complain....

yesterday we got about 3” of rain and no trace of condensation in the lights as of yet...so that’s a good start

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I washed my car after getting them in and I’ve seen zero condensation build up. I used to see it immediately when the halogen housings got wet. That’s a good sign in my book.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
How difficult is it to insert those new bushings? I'm thinking of picking up a set as well.

Putting them in is a piece of piss. It's getting the old ones out that's a little annoying.

I used a harbor freight 12 ton press ($100) and a 3" length piece of 2.5" OD exhaust tubing that I cut off a longer length I had laying around.