GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Looks good, but how will you be able to remove the door card if you need to?
Can you post where you got it? That's one of the few things in don't like about the mk7 interior.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
How did you do the delay valve alone? I've done the entire shifter replacement with the dieselgeek kit, wasn't an issue. Hesitant to pull the valve and have a clutch that won't bleed.
  • Buy yourself some vacuum hose caps from an auto store. (NAPA, Autozone, Amazon, etc).
  • If you got a power bleeder (ie, Motiv Power Bleeder), you don't need anyone to assist. Useful for bleeding brakes too so it's worth having.
  • Brake fluid
Disconnect the bleeder block from the clutch hose. While holding the hose upwards to prevent any fluid from leaking, I capped it off and set it to the side. Disconnected block from the tob and capped it. Nothing will leak with the hose/tob capped while working on getting the delay valve. Once done, put everything back and used the power bleeder to clear out any air from the line.

You could also try this method.

FarSolar

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Finally installed the new pads and rotors I've been sitting on. Hawk HPS 5.0 and StopTechs

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Finally installed the new pads and rotors I've been sitting on. Hawk HPS 5.0 and StopTechs

I'm upgrading my factory brakes to EBCs. How was your install? Did you use an impact or hand tools? I ask because I've heard one of the rear caliper bolts is a PITA to reach

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo

i'll be doing this soon.

i ran my car through the porsche dealers wash.

FarSolar

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
I'm upgrading my factory brakes to EBCs. How was your install? Did you use an impact or hand tools? I ask because I've heard one of the rear caliper bolts is a PITA to reach
I used all hand tools and yes, the rears were a pain. Lift the car as much as you can and you should be able to fit a medium sized breaker bar in there. Those things are on there tight so I was under the car with one hand bracing against the control arm while my friend was holding the creeper steady. When installing the new bolts, you'll need to do an extra quarter turn after torquing them. You should have just enough room to turn the triple square over to the next notch and then repeat a few times. Also have a socket adapter handy if you're like me and only have a 1/2" drive M14 but need to use the 3/8" torque wrench lol. Thankfully ShopDAP's tool kit had one hidden in there.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Something dumb that I've been advised against multiple times. I won't detail just how dumb until I know the extent of how dumb it was... But I will say I might be ordering a new AID 🤦🏿‍♂️😂.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Something dumb that I've been advised against multiple times. I won't detail just how dumb until I know the extent of how dumb it was... But I will say I might be ordering a new AID 🤦🏿‍♂️😂.
Bench setup to match up the mileage?? Can finally turn off ACC and unhide the odometer :ROFLMAO:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Bench setup to match up the mileage?? Can finally turn off ACC and unhide the odometer :ROFLMAO:
Much dumber, lol... firmware update, estimated at 8+ hours... not on the bench because I was being lazy.

I've got a lithium battery, so I put the charger on it and started the flash. Now I've put the charger on, with this battery, plenty of times for an hour plus. Well, it seems that after about 3 hours the charger stops charging.

Maybe it's due to heat, although I've never noticed it to get all that warm. Maybe there's some logic that if the battery isn't charged after xx amount of time that suggests a problem so charging stops.

Long story long, battery voltage dipped enough for ODIS to lose communication, about 4 hours into the update 😵‍💫.

Charged battery and tried to power up the car, blank dash. And this on the infotainment 🫣
PXL_20230525_214423951.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@bobloblawGTI All is well that ends well! Flashing finished, put it back in the car and started the engine without issue. Firmware update shouldn't touch Immo, Key Pairing or trigger Component Protection but you never know when you botch a flash as I did.

Anyway... I'm now rocking the latest AID software (that I've been able to get my hands on). And the "VIEW" button on my Mk8 wheel now works, so I guess this was worth it 🤷‍♂️.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
@bobloblawGTI All is well that ends well! Flashing finished, put it back in the car and started the engine without issue. Firmware update shouldn't touch Immo, Key Pairing or trigger Component Protection but you never know when you botch a flash as I did.

Anyway... I'm now rocking the latest AID software (that I've been able to get my hands on). And the "VIEW" button on my Mk8 wheel now works, so I guess this was worth it 🤷‍♂️.

Glad to hear you were able to fix it without having to buy a whole new AID.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Glad to hear you were able to fix it without having to buy a whole new AID.
I may still buy an NAR spec at some point, haha.. What I'm really trying to fix is the glow plug indication check engine light that us TDI guys get with digital dash retrofit.

It's for sure a software problem. I literally first got the fault the day after getting the AID installed. And it's probably an issue in the ECU software and not the dash since the GTD could be specced with AID. But one thing at a time.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I may still buy an NAR spec at some point, haha.. What I'm really trying to fix is the glow plug indication check engine light that us TDI guys get with digital dash retrofit.

It's for sure a software problem. I literally first got the fault the day after getting the AID installed. And it's probably an issue in the ECU software and not the dash since the GTD could be specced with AID. But one thing at a time.

I still want to upgrade to the 9.2", but it just keeps climbing in price. And hacked/actived MIB2.5s are harder and harder to come by. You used to be able to find them for like $700 on eBay...

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I just finished my review of my latest dealer service. Likely the first time ever in over 40 years. I was lucky enough to have a fantastic Toyota dealer for a very long time. But the red GTI lured me away for a bit. Being well aware of the differences between Toyota and VW, I had hoped this dealer was very good. Sloppy seems to be the common theme. I'm a bit of a harass when it comes to details, but not unreasonable or one to complain a lot. There's simply no way I'll ever buy another, and it has nothing to do with the car. Heck, I might just go to the Toyota dealer to have the wipers fixed.
A simple winter tire change, check rear warning sensor, reset wiper blades. Tire change good, balanced properly. Warnings sensor took longer than anyone expected, fix was to change driver sideview mirror, wiring harness. Now my Auto Up/Down driver does not work. Explanation for not resetting wiper position was that they operated properly, looked good. I would expect that any VW dealer would know that GTI wiper blades reset to under the hood, not above the hood and clearly visible. I would have been ok if they just said they didn't have the time to fix the problem. I originally said I was dropping the car off, but I waited because I assumed it would be fairly quick. It wasn't until four hours later I was informed that it was taking more time due to sensor issue, and reminded me I had scheduled a drop off.

Fair enough, if I had known earlier I would have gotten a ride home. But this isn't the first time I felt the work was sloppy. This was the second visit before someone realized I still had the center windshield inspection sticker left behind, after a new one in lower left position was installed. Not the first time my summer/winter tires were left in the trunk with the cargo shelf unattached, when I delivered the car just fine with tires underneath it. Then the time I dropped it off for an oil change, and left with no oil change sticker, or any indication on the bill that the oil was even changed. It just makes me feel that leaving Heritage Toyota was a bad move. After years of perfect service, now I'm concerned. Concerned enough to not want to look at a Taos or Tiguan.

I understand help is at a premium, and Good help is hard to find. I'm very reasonable, and well aware that schedules can be hectic, and service visits are not always perfect. But you're sloppy, it's obvious details don't matter, and it concerns me that things might me skipped.

The people at the counter are always nice, scheduling is always easy. Full stop.

First time I have in over 40 years. We all know new cars are complicated, and it's no secret that a VW needs a little more care than others. It's disturbing to have even basic items forgotten, not fixed, fixed improperly, or not even noted (as was the oil change visit). My first inclination was to start looking at other brands.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT

That's a relief! Any noticeable changes/improvements after the update aside from the Mk8 wheel compatibility?