GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Carbon clean take 2. Weather was better today. FYI if you have a nut/stud on the upper edge mounting points on your manifold you will have to take off the HPFP line. The stud extends out an inch or so and there is not enough clearance on the driver side. Some stuff you may want: magnet thingy to hold/pick up screws. Hard to balance the T30 on the tip of the ratchet and lower it into position at a downward angle without it falling off and underneath the manifold. Short 17mm wrench for the lower portion of the HPFP line. Not much room to tighten, hopefully mine is tight enough? Small vacuum/blower for all the little carbon bits. Almost impossible to fish out with picks. I was using the brake cleaner to blast it out and then wipe off. Only had time to take pics of cylinder 1 and 2 post cleaning, was running out of time. 3 and 4 were not as clean as I would have liked.

2016 GTI SE 51K miles. 92 octane 99% of the time. IHX475/tuned for about a year. Lots of short trips (less than 10 miles a day).

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

After

1a.jpg
2a.jpg
Nut.jpg

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Also added a Zhong Zhong oil filter housing couple days ago. One of the reviews mentioning it not fitting correctly but no issues so far 🤷‍♂️ Oil is maybe a degree or 2 cooler. Have my old housing in the car just in case any issues arise.
75845AC0-4D81-456D-8246-57A7C1D13838.jpeg
10F60E31-882E-434D-8803-2224630326DD.jpeg

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Carbon clean take 2. Weather was better today. FYI if you have a nut/stud on the upper edge mounting points on your manifold you will have to take off the HPFP line. The stud extends out an inch or so and there is not enough clearance on the driver side. Some stuff you may want: magnet thingy to hold/pick up screws. Hard to balance the T30 on the tip of the ratchet and lower it into position at a downward angle without it falling off and underneath the manifold. Short 17mm wrench for the lower portion of the HPFP line. Not much room to tighten, hopefully mine is tight enough? Small vacuum/blower for all the little carbon bits. Almost impossible to fish out with picks. I was using the brake cleaner to blast it out and then wipe off. Only had time to take pics of cylinder 1 and 2 post cleaning, was running out of time. 3 and 4 were not as clean as I would have liked.

2016 GTI SE 51K miles. 92 octane 99% of the time. IHX475/tuned for about a year. Lots of short trips (less than 10 miles a day).

View attachment 277164 View attachment 277165 View attachment 277166 View attachment 277167
After

View attachment 277168 View attachment 277169 View attachment 277170
Looks good.

What nut/stud are you talking about?

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Dr Color Chip or Scratches Happen would be my recommendation for fixing. The OEM Touch up pens kinda suck if your paint has any flake in it, but you might be okay being white.
yeee, DrCC on the way
Dr color Chip works well, but if the chip is deep or largeish (Dime sized) it can require multiple coats to fill and even with how it's applied. You use their "paint" and then follow up with their applicator that activates it.

Scratches happen is more a classic paint repair with touch-up and clear coat, they also include primer if the scratch/chip is deep and to the metal/plastic. Dr Color Chip is pretty easy IMO, can't really screw it up and you can always remove it with more of the applicator/activator and try again.

Scratches happen isn't going to be as forgiving after it's applied, but has good results and can be applied thicker initially for fills. They also offer aerosol cans which is nice if you've got larger areas to do.

Scratches Happen is more affordable, with their deep kit (Paint/primer/clear) at 36ish, Dr ColorChip is gonna run you 50ish-100ish depending on the kit.
Thankfully the tiny holes in the paint should be near invisible even up close once DrCC is applied:

2023-03-30 18.29.03.jpg

More worried about eventually chipping.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

View attachment 277164 View attachment 277165 View attachment 277166 View attachment 277167
After

View attachment 277168 View attachment 277169 View attachment 277170
Thanks for reminding me I probably need to carbon clean mine too. 109k, 93OCT 100% of the time with Lucas Oil Octane booster every 3rd tank. Tuned since 3k miles.. I'm sure I'm fine lol.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Dr color Chip works well, but if the chip is deep or largeish (Dime sized) it can require multiple coats to fill and even with how it's applied. You use their "paint" and then follow up with their applicator that activates it.

Scratches happen is more a classic paint repair with touch-up and clear coat, they also include primer if the scratch/chip is deep and to the metal/plastic. Dr Color Chip is pretty easy IMO, can't really screw it up and you can always remove it with more of the applicator/activator and try again.

Scratches happen isn't going to be as forgiving after it's applied, but has good results and can be applied thicker initially for fills. They also offer aerosol cans which is nice if you've got larger areas to do.

Scratches Happen is more affordable, with their deep kit (Paint/primer/clear) at 36ish, Dr ColorChip is gonna run you 50ish-100ish depending on the kit.
I've used Dr Chip on a deep chip and had good results. Easy to use, but no matter which you go with, you might be better doing it once, letting it dry, then doing a second or third coat.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

If you have time and you are slightly anal about your paint give syringes a try. You can use an 18 or 20ga needle with most paints. Also, the thinner the syringe, 1cc vs a 5+cc the easier to control the output. On bigger chips that I had to go multiple times with the Dr Colorchip, I can fill now in one or two applications. I also try to do the sealer after it is almost dried, as I had a few larger dots turn dull when applying it.

I used to use a fluid fine line pen but after seeing Larry's video decided to give it a try, and it is sooo much easier with the syringe.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Played with tire pressure on my Conti ECS’s. These tires are sort of an enigma. They don’t ride mushy, but they do feel rubbery with handling. But after initial motion, they load up nicely and grip great. More pressure just makes the ride harsh. It is what it is. Continental tires for ya.

235/40r18 feels ideal at 34psi cold.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Played with tire pressure on my Conti ECS’s. These tires are sort of an enigma. They don’t ride mushy, but they do feel rubbery with handling. But after initial motion, they load up nicely and grip great. More pressure just makes the ride harsh. It is what it is. Continental tires for ya.

I'll give 34psi a shot, the tire place filled em to 40 and I lowered it to 33 but just yesterday was thinking a little more would probably be better

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you have time and you are slightly anal about your paint give syringes a try. You can use an 18 or 20ga needle with most paints. Also, the thinner the syringe, 1cc vs a 5+cc the easier to control the output. On bigger chips that I had to go multiple times with the Dr Colorchip, I can fill now in one or two applications. I also try to do the sealer after it is almost dried, as I had a few larger dots turn dull when applying it.

I used to use a fluid fine line pen but after seeing Larry's video decided to give it a try, and it is sooo much easier with the syringe.
Plus 1 on sealer. Dr Chip started to dull after few years.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Did I see you on the back roads, between jax and st Aug today 11 am ish?