GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Pulled in late for dinner last night after a long day in DC, unfortunately I chose a parking spot close to a parking lot light with a concrete base. GF opens the door and *bonk*....sigh....

Some slight damage to the paint on the very edge of the door (Thankfully it didnt hit the face of the door), not very noticeable unless you're up close. Time to buy some chip repair paint I've been meaning to buy, as I have a few other chips on the hood, roof, and bumper I need to take care of.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Was gonna do carbon cleaning today but its been cloudy and overcast all day :mad: 2016 with 51K; 99% of the time 92 octane used, IHX475/tuned for about a year. Used CRC intake valve cleaner about 30K. My drive intervals are short (less than 10 miles a day). Watched The Humble Mechanics intake manifold removal video like 10 times. Other members have done it (Daks, Acadia18/dtfd) and figure it should be relatively easy. No compressor as I live in a apartment building so was gonna use CRC intake valve cleaner and brake cleaner as the chemical agents. Maybe next week ;)
Its not hard, just tedious, take your time and don't force anything.

ksurl

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE DSG
Not on his year, you can no longer do it with tricking the voltage threshold on (some 19s and all 20+ ) cars.

I didn’t try the “un plugging it method” but I did recently put this on Tiguan… it’s great and Still makes the button work but just reverses it’s memory protocol so that it’s always OFF unless you push the button.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...er_id=884304a88e174453ab03cdeef1ca2647&is_c=N

Also if you don’t want to wait for shipping

https://www.b2bfab.com/products/mk7...gen-gti-gli-jetta?_pos=1&_sid=18e90ff63&_ss=r
I installed the aliexpress one this week. $5 shipped and took about a week to arrive. works like a charm.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Was gonna do carbon cleaning today but its been cloudy and overcast all day :mad: 2016 with 51K; 99% of the time 92 octane used, IHX475/tuned for about a year. Used CRC intake valve cleaner about 30K. My drive intervals are short (less than 10 miles a day). Watched The Humble Mechanics intake manifold removal video like 10 times. Other members have done it (Daks, Acadia18/dtfd) and figure it should be relatively easy. No compressor as I live in a apartment building so was gonna use CRC intake valve cleaner and brake cleaner as the chemical agents. Maybe next week ;)
Carb cleaner works great as well and is even cheaper than brake cleaner.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Like a lot of us northeasterner's I decided it was time for the summer shoes to go on. Fresh set for 595 RS-Pro's, excited to see how they work out on the street. I liked my RS-R's and these are supposed to be a little stickier.

20230330_141401.jpg

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Pulled in late for dinner last night after a long day in DC, unfortunately I chose a parking spot close to a parking lot light with a concrete base. GF opens the door and *bonk*....sigh....

Some slight damage to the paint on the very edge of the door (Thankfully it didnt hit the face of the door), not very noticeable unless you're up close. Time to buy some chip repair paint I've been meaning to buy, as I have a few other chips on the hood, roof, and bumper I need to take care of.
Dr Color Chip or Scratches Happen would be my recommendation for fixing. The OEM Touch up pens kinda suck if your paint has any flake in it, but you might be okay being white.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Dr Color Chip or Scratches Happen would be my recommendation for fixing. The OEM Touch up pens kinda suck if your paint has any flake in it, but you might be okay being white.
Between the two, do you have a preference? I've got a small chip on my door (WSM) and I'd really prefer to take care of it with something easy. I'm hoping to avoid having to sand anything, because getting to it is gonna be rude (it's by the fender).

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Between the two, do you have a preference? I've got a small chip on my door (WSM) and I'd really prefer to take care of it with something easy. I'm hoping to avoid having to sand anything, because getting to it is gonna be rude (it's by the fender).
Dr color Chip works well, but if the chip is deep or largeish (Dime sized) it can require multiple coats to fill and even with how it's applied. You use their "paint" and then follow up with their applicator that activates it.

Scratches happen is more a classic paint repair with touch-up and clear coat, they also include primer if the scratch/chip is deep and to the metal/plastic. Dr Color Chip is pretty easy IMO, can't really screw it up and you can always remove it with more of the applicator/activator and try again.

Scratches happen isn't going to be as forgiving after it's applied, but has good results and can be applied thicker initially for fills. They also offer aerosol cans which is nice if you've got larger areas to do.

Scratches Happen is more affordable, with their deep kit (Paint/primer/clear) at 36ish, Dr ColorChip is gonna run you 50ish-100ish depending on the kit.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Yeah, I think in a super comfy luxury the start/stop feature wouldn’t be something that bothered me… but the mqb is not that unfortunately

The lady wants to keep it, believes in the fuel economy factor, and she drives the atlas primarily. I commented this evening about fixing it permantly and she gave me the side eye. Maybe I’ll just learn to live with it, and drive my R more. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯