321.3 KB · Views: 33

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

ottomaddick

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Still getting elevated misfires on #2. 99% are imperceptible — only visible via OBD monitoring. Swapped the coil packs between #2 and #3 and no real improvement.

Today I got a major power cut when I got on it in 3rd gear. As soon as full boost hit, it was like the TC kicked in for a split second, but it wasn’t TC. Hard to tell what happened. Boost let off “pshh” then it picked back up. Either a misfire or maybe the DV let loose? It’s happened in 4th gear recently too. No codes or lights. I’m going to assume it was related to my misfires dealio for now.

Gonna pop in fresh plugs tomorrow morning and hopefully that’s that. If that’s not that, I’m not sure where to go from there.

Would a misfire or DV misbehavior normally trigger a CEL?
I've been searching for people with similar issues and this came up. I have a relatively unmodded 20 GTI. I've been getting noticeable stumble at the point immediately between acceleration and deceleration. As when you get up to road speed and ease of the throttle. Service couldn't duplicate and claim there were no codes. It has no acceleration issues, and mileage remains respectable. It does have a racingline cold air intake, inlet pipe and elbow, APR coil packs and a Racing line oil management system (catch can). No tune. These symptoms began about 3000 miles ago but well after the intake and inlet updates. 22000 miles. Thoughts?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I've been searching for people with similar issues and this came up. I have a relatively unmodded 20 GTI. I've been getting noticeable stumble at the point immediately between acceleration and deceleration. As when you get up to road speed and ease of the throttle. Service couldn't duplicate and claim there were no codes. It has no acceleration issues, and mileage remains respectable. It does have a racingline cold air intake, inlet pipe and elbow, APR coil packs and a Racing line oil management system (catch can). No tune. These symptoms began about 3000 miles ago but well after the intake and inlet updates. 22000 miles. Thoughts?
My issue was fixed with new plugs. Have you tried that? Have you identified what cylinder(s) are getting misfires and then swap coil packs around to see if the misfires move?

The easiest and cheapest things to change here are plugs and coils.

ottomaddick

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
My issue was fixed with new plugs. Have you tried that? Have you identified what cylinder(s) are getting misfires and then swap coil packs around to see if the misfires move?

The easiest and cheapest things to change here are plugs and coils.
The "missing/stumbling" was occurring before the coil/plug update. I thought there was some improvement, but alas, it's back (or never left). I have a theory. Hear me out. Could the throttle position potentiometer have a flat spot? Would that show up anywhere (VCDS)? I have to say that it is not bad, but noticeable. I can rev the engine in the driveway and get it. I am not sure what to look for on VCDS. As I mentioned, it is in that weird spot exactly between accel and decel on the throttle. BTW, thanks for the swift response.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The "missing/stumbling" was occurring before the coil/plug update. I thought there was some improvement, but alas, it's back (or never left). I have a theory. Hear me out. Could the throttle position potentiometer have a flat spot? Would that show up anywhere (VCDS)? I have to say that it is not bad, but noticeable. I can rev the engine in the driveway and get it. I am not sure what to look for on VCDS. As I mentioned, it is in that weird spot exactly between accel and decel on the throttle. BTW, thanks for the swift response.
That’s a bit beyond my knowledge set. So it’s just happening when you let off the throttle?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Installed Apr spark plugs 😭🤣 read enough horror stories about the rs7 plugs and made the switch.
Been through at least 5 sets of RS7 with no issues. I think the people with issues were regapping them

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Took it for a spin and found this minty fresh Scirocco.

Swapped in the replacement coolant reroute hose for the IE intake - still potential to rub the air dam tray so flex sealed the edges so they aren’t sharp.
D5DFCE1E-334A-43CD-A776-A2B277A762EC.jpeg

5D5DF0A0-F293-4AB3-AC39-E5BE18A5C348.jpeg

EAC7EFE4-10E8-443A-90D4-22DBC18F9B25.jpeg

Attachments

• 1063B0E7-65C9-4CBF-8060-B29C3462D359.jpeg
    1063B0E7-65C9-4CBF-8060-B29C3462D359.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21