GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

SAPGTI

Ready to race!
One of my most popular videos does a break down with visuals of proper vs improper

TIG Welding 304 Stainless Exhaust

As mentioned by others the same shielding gas (argon) protects the weld from the inside of the tube by eliminating atmospheric gases which allow unspeakable horrific things to happen 🤮 aka sugaring

Interesting stuff. I won't be welding anything anytime soon, but it's cool to see how it's done. 🤙

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
KAW install and the OE euro tail lights from DAP. The @ZERO815 harness for the euro tail lights is a far better product than the one from DAP. I know this because not long ago I had the exact setup you see now but with the DAP harness. I had a moment where I thought I was going back to stock…and sold a bunch of shit.
Anyway. Installed the lights and harness in less than an hour including coding. Also, the back end looks so much better without a wiper.
I DID NOT use an app this time to code the lights. I used the instructions provided with the harness. I do however want to change the turn signals to sweep when the lock key is pressed.
Please check if "Aussenlicht_Blinker-ZV_Blinken_zu" is set to active
1676015465744.png

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
Picked up a used Cobb AP thanks to a forum member.
Got my EQT Stage 1 files last night and installed them.
Since I bought the AP used it didn't have some of the factory accessories so I designed and printed my own dash mount.

As a side note... Anyone know where I can get a replacement shell for the Cobb AP? I did some googling but I couldn't find just the shell. This soft touch material has become sticky and it makes me nuts.
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 22

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Since I bought the AP used it didn't have some of the factory accessories so I designed and printed my own dash mount.

As a side note... Anyone know where I can get a replacement shell for the Cobb AP? I did some googling but I couldn't find just the shell. This soft touch material has become sticky and it makes me nuts.
View attachment 272693View attachment 272694View attachment 272696View attachment 272697
That's a snazzy mount idea -- I was always annoyed with the positioning of the AP mounts available, and wound up getting a suction cup window one. If I work out getting my P3 gauge to do analog boost, I might run the AP full time for gauges. No idea as far as spare shells go, I assume you're not talking about the faceplate but the actual body of the unit? You could always use a scotchbrite pad and remove the soft touch altogether, that was a thing back in the mk4 days.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG

View attachment 272693View attachment 272694View attachment 272696View attachment 272697

Nice mount. Did you use double side tape?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Track prep for this weekend at VIRginia International Raceway for the Tidewater Sports Car Club Oak Tree Bowl HPDE. Trying these new EBC Bluestuff NDX I picked up from Urotuning (they just ship from EBC) out back...not much selection for the little 272x10mm solid rears. Fronts swapped. Wheel/tires swapped. Brakes bled. Vinyl applied (wife has a Cricut and makes the white window number decals).

20230205_194523.jpg
20230205_194536.jpg
20230205_194503.jpg
Screenshot_20230210_073743_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230210_073809_Chrome.jpg
20230205_183756.jpg
20230205_184412.jpg
20230210_075615.jpg

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017
That's a snazzy mount idea -- I was always annoyed with the positioning of the AP mounts available, and wound up getting a suction cup window one. If I work out getting my P3 gauge to do analog boost, I might run the AP full time for gauges. No idea as far as spare shells go, I assume you're not talking about the faceplate but the actual body of the unit? You could always use a scotchbrite pad and remove the soft touch altogether, that was a thing back in the mk4 days.
Last night I briefly considered just buffing/sanding it off. I may just go that route. Another factory shell is going to have the same issue eventually I assume. I absolutely LOATHE that material. It doesn't seem chemical resistant AT ALL.

Nice mount. Did you use double side tape?
Yep! 3M double sided tape. I've used this stuff on my kayaks for years. They sit out in direct sunlight and get absolutely roasted, and I have yet to have an issue with the tape failing.
I am however a tad concerned about any type of acid in the tape. I'll pull it in a few weeks and check the dash surface. Then once it warms up I'll redo it again just to make sure. I don't really expect any issues, but I'm not willing to trash my dashboard for this. I really just wanted it mounted for logs during AutoX days.

I will say that I was surprised by the build quality of the Cobb unit. I know I bought it used, but holy cow. For something that retails at $700. The shell is just sort of this trashy little case and the soft touch is IMO not quality, the cable is mega stiff. The whole thing just sort of reeks of low quality parts. The cable could easily be a silicone/ribbon type for $70. Mine had dust under the shell/screen. It was easy enough to open up and blow out but c'mon, and little raised rubber would seal the unit better and could just be part of the mold. Eh anyways.. I have opinions I guess. :D

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Your only option for a replacement shell is to find someone who understands a married Accessport is worth nothing (since it costs 70% to relicense, which is the same cost or more you can buy a used one for), and see if they'll sell it to you for like $20. I have a replacement shell you can have for free if you want, but the clear screen plastic is cracked and the back has a couple scratches. I'll upload some pics in a bit. But, I'll send it to you for nothing if you want it.

One thing to keep in mind if it matters to you, is your serial number is attached to the shell, so if you replace the front part of the shell, the s/n won't match.

Also, that's a pretty nice mount solution, would you be willing to share the stl?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Your only option for a replacement shell is to find someone who understands a married Accessport is worth nothing (since it costs 70% to relicense, which is the same cost or more you can buy a used one for), and see if they'll sell it to you for like $20. I have a replacement shell you can have for free if you want, but the clear screen plastic is cracked and the back has a couple scratches. I'll upload some pics in a bit. But, I'll send it to you for nothing if you want it.

One thing to keep in mind if it matters to you, is your serial number is attached to the shell, so if you replace the front part of the shell, the s/n won't match.

Also, that's a pretty nice mount solution, would you be willing to share the stl?

Like I said. Not the best condition, but if you want a spare to sand down, try to paint, plasti-dip, vinyl wrap, trap in a sex dungeon, etc... It's yours for free. I got it for free from a situation like I mentioned above so I could swap my front piece since it cracked (that's my original on in the pic).

1676035279954.png

1676035296617.png

1676035317222.png

Roald

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI mk 7 2017

I appreciate the offer, but don't go to the trouble. I think I'll just try removing the material.
I'd be happy to post the stl. It will likely be sat/sun before I'm able, but I'll get it posted up.
If I was going to print another one I would likely taper the block portion so that the AP faced down abit. Currently the cable pops forward more than I'd like, but maybe that's just me. I really do have an axe to grind with the cable. Yuck.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Years ago ,when I had my Focus ST, I cracked the screen on my AP and COBB replaced it for free. I had purchased it new from them, but it might be worth reaching out and seeing what they would charge.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Finally installed Ambient+ overhead. I've got a good bit of the detail in my build thread but it's missing some important points, discovered when I went to do final install. I haven't coded anything yet (the orange "door" indicator is complaining about that) and the pictures are terrible. Will try to get some better ones for the DIY thread that's coming soon-ish.
PXL_20230210_132505181.MP.jpg

PXL_20230210_131831935.jpg

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI

Willing to share that STL? I don't hate this solution at all.

I printed a holder for mine that goes over the vent but I like this one a little more.