GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Did the @StorableComa coil ground kit (finally) last night, I've had it in a box for ages waiting for warm enough weather where it wouldn't be a ton of broken plastic and swearing. No pics, because you guys know what it looks like. It's a fantastic product in terms of build quality, I haven't actually fired up the car following installation because of ongoing construction at our house, but not having to deal with the triangle bolts is a massive boon on its own. Installation was... a thing. I have a "master" terminal tool kit, which turned out to be useless. Meanwhile my cheapie Amazon 5-in-1 terminal tool donut worked beautifully. The worst part was honestly trying to separate the wiring loom from the covers.

Next up is the seats

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
decided to post here more and not just on vwvortex.

installed the dieselgeek super pin (already had the dieselgeek SS), new knob, new boot/collar. LOVE the results.
View attachment 272508
Dig the look.....but looks like it's really cold lol

Did the @StorableComa coil ground kit (finally) last night, I've had it in a box for ages waiting for warm enough weather where it wouldn't be a ton of broken plastic and swearing. No pics, because you guys know what it looks like. It's a fantastic product in terms of build quality, I haven't actually fired up the car following installation because of ongoing construction at our house, but not having to deal with the triangle bolts is a massive boon on its own. Installation was... a thing. I have a "master" terminal tool kit, which turned out to be useless. Meanwhile my cheapie Amazon 5-in-1 terminal tool donut worked beautifully. The worst part was honestly trying to separate the wiring loom from the covers.

Next up is the seats
love mine

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
8DE40DC7-514D-4A23-BC3A-0A1BDEFE0E41.jpeg
You mean you don't use that fancy TICON cutting jig anymore? Or only use it for pie cuts?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Haha I wasn’t gonna go that far, but yeah it’s extremely expensive to manufacture & ship things hand built in the good ol USA.

I don’t think people are idiots, I think the current culture corrupts them in the Amazon model of everything is dirt cheap, ships instantly, & that’s not realistic for anything but chines e commerce bought by the shipping container load.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You mean you don't use that fancy TICON cutting jig anymore? Or only use it for pie cuts?

I use the hell out of all three fancy (over $1,200 total in blocks of aluminum) Ticon cutting fixtures! They’ve paid for themselves tenfold in saved time/reduced waste, but for these particular Y pipe cuts they unfortunately don’t work due to constraints with height clearance on the saw & the length of the jaws (not enough setback).

5AEB2DFD-6F31-40CB-96EF-A5CD0BFBB299.jpeg

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Haha I wasn’t gonna go that far, but yeah it’s extremely expensive to manufacture & ship things hand built in the good ol USA.

I don’t think people are idiots, I think the current culture corrupts them in the Amazon model of everything is dirt cheap, ships instantly, & that’s not realistic for anything but chines e commerce bought by the shipping container load.
They think that because they have little (or zero) experience of how the real world works and how things are created. Most people are just following the directions given to them by their boss and they think because they're flipping burgers they can run a McDonalds.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
They think that because they have little (or zero) experience of how the real world works and how things are created. Most people are just following the directions given to them by their boss and they think because they're flipping burgers they can run a McDonalds.
Exactly. It takes ages to get the manufacturing in place to build the systems necessary (and the physical buildings/logistics network) to get that 90-second hamburger to a customer.

SAPGTI

Ready to race!
Useful parts you can’t get anywhere else on the other hand, zero complaints there.

This Stealth Suitcase I wrapped up today is going to a customer who has my entire line of parts (even several versions of the CBE).

The Y is for my first ever production BRZ axle back (I’m the only one offering an adult version that doesn’t have enormous fart can tips or 100dB cold start).

Talk to me like I'm stupid. What are the green plugs for? Some sort of flow testing or something to do with the welding?

Learn me. I've only got 12 brain cells.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I use the hell out of all three fancy (over $1,200 total in blocks of aluminum) Ticon cutting fixtures! They’ve paid for themselves tenfold in saved time/reduced waste, but for these particular Y pipe cuts they unfortunately don’t work due to constraints with height clearance on the saw & the length of the jaws (not enough setback).

View attachment 272612
If you have the time look at the GizFab tools. They are 3D printed, but they last a long time. I think they are the only ones I have found that support the elbow inner area for cuts.
https://gizfab.com/product/tear-drop-cutting-fixture/
Argon gas back purge for pretty welds on the outside and inside. Also prevents contamination.
Technically prevents oxidation, which is the sugaring you get when you don't shield the weld.

Blahhh, welder shield off. Back to my desk job

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Talk to me like I'm stupid. What are the green plugs for? Some sort of flow testing or something to do with the welding?

Learn me. I've only got 12 brain cells.

One of my most popular videos does a break down with visuals of proper vs improper

TIG Welding 304 Stainless Exhaust

As mentioned by others the same shielding gas (argon) protects the weld from the inside of the tube by eliminating atmospheric gases which allow unspeakable horrific things to happen 🤮 aka sugaring