GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Could be bad gas, or low ethanol gas. Filled up recently with some E0 91 and was getting knock like crazy. Had to mix in about 2 gallons of E85 at 80% to bring it up to E18ish before things calmed down.

This was also after the first heavy rain in awhile here, so could have been an issue with their tanks too.

If it was a place you don't normally fill up, try topping off at your usual station and see what happens.
Seems to be running better and stronger after putting in about a half tank of new gas and driving a bit. It’s strange. I saw 0 knock, it’s a 91 tune on 93 gas, and I added e85 to be sure. Still had an issue until the new gas. Must’ve been some supremely shitty gas to still have issues.

I’m still suspicious there’s another issue afoot since this happens more often than seems reasonable… but no clue what else to look for if there are no codes. Maybe I just need a carbon cleaning 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
On the GTI with the ttrs setup, honesty I feel zero or negligible difference in the pedal feel and braking performance from the sliding PPs.

With these st60s though… The braking feel and pedal Is night and day just with basic street driving . It’s so much firmer (in a solid way not a tough way) and the pedal movement feels so much more linear in regards to the range of movement in your foot directly translates to the way the car is slowing or stopping, I remember @GTI Jake saying in a video how going from a good bbk set in his GTI to his pops wrx made the regular brakes feel real lacking, and I can say I didn’t notice that with the ttrs set up on the GTI but these st60s I can agree with that remark fully.

Still one of my favorite mods!

Whenever I take someone for a ride in the GTI the acceleration gets a smirk, but the stopping power normally results in uncontrolled laughter & a “holy shit”.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Man here I was with my 288mm brakes. I’m just happy with my new 312s 🫡

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Got my winter setup –– Blizzaks with some Roti TUF-Rs. So at least she'll look good in the snow too :)
I think you have too many spacers in the rear

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I put my stock downpipe on! Stay stock stay happy! Listing stuff in FS soon.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Installed 034 street density engine and transmission mounts yesterday after 3 sets of OEM mounts (over 140k miles). I'm pretty sensitive to NVH, so that's partially why I kept them OEM for so long. But since going IS38 about 35k miles ago, the stock mounts just couldn't cope with the added torque over time.

Really pleased to say that the 034 mounts have added essentially zero additional NVH, while firming things up just enough so upshifts and especially downshifts feel much sharper/crisper. No more "lurching" in low speed traffic, etc.

As an aside, I've also been running the 034 dogbone bushing with stock dogbone mount/arm - this had already eliminated wheel hop even with the soft OEM upper mounts so it pairs perfectly with the new uppers.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Installed 034 street density engine and transmission mounts yesterday after 3 sets of OEM mounts (over 140k miles). I'm pretty sensitive to NVH, so that's partially why I kept them OEM for so long. But since going IS38 about 35k miles ago, the stock mounts just couldn't cope with the added torque over time.

Really pleased to say that the 034 mounts have added essentially zero additional NVH, while firming things up just enough so upshifts and especially downshifts feel much sharper/crisper. No more "lurching" in low speed traffic, etc.

As an aside, I've also been running the 034 dogbone bushing with stock dogbone mount/arm - this had already eliminated wheel hop even with the soft OEM upper mounts so it pairs perfectly with the new uppers.

So no inserts on the dogbone bushing right? its this one right? So you went full 034 Street Density mounts, I think I may do that...

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Anybody near San Diego (92130) who's a seasoned tinkerer available to help me disassemble the front end of my car with me? Front core support has to come off for my chassis mount splitter and it's recommended to have a second set of hands. I've opted my wife out of helping for... reasons.

Would rather throw a few bucks to a fellow enthusiast for the help over a body shop.
20221212_135238.jpg

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
So no inserts on the dogbone bushing right? its this one right? So you went full 034 Street Density mounts, I think I may do that...
Correct. 034 engine, trans, and dogbone mounts (no additional inserts or aftermarket dogbone arm). As far as NVH and overall drivetrain control is concerned, I can happily recommend this combo.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
HAHA!

Stay stock stay happy!
There's truth there. Oftentimes, when there's an issue, be it noise, leaks, or other small things, I can often trace to whatever I have tinkered with. :rolleyes: I'm currently diagnosing an oil leak that appears to be with the steel oil pan "upgrade." They're kind of a bitch to seal for the long-haul; but perhaps they were never meant to stay sealed forever. ;)

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
HAHA!

There's truth there. Oftentimes, when there's an issue, be it noise, leaks, or other small things, I can often trace to whatever I have tinkered with. :rolleyes: I'm currently diagnosing an oil leak that appears to be with the steel oil pan "upgrade." They're kind of a bitch to seal for the long-haul; but perhaps they were never meant to stay sealed forever. ;)
One reason I’m going with an all track skidplate.