GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Some 3rd gear pulls to try and figure out why she's not making power. Shell 93 with 1 gal of GATE E85. APR LT 91 octane tune.

3rd gear pulls:
  1. Onset felt weak. Power below 4k was poor. A little better over 4k but still lacking.
  2. Same
  3. Same
A few observations: Timing advance is kinda weak at the start and above 4k. Also noticing timing advance at boost onset is a little bit variable. Seems to drop back a degree or 2 at times.

I'm really not sure what to make of it. Unfortunately, none of my PIDs for requested boost work. Does spool seem slow? And the sensor for boost never reads over 22.xx PSI. So good luck with this shit 😆

I would say it’s gas, but a gallon of E should’ve cleared that up. Now’s the time I wish APR had a home-flash tool so I could take the tune off and eliminate that as a variable 🙄

———

On the bright side, these pulls gave me a good opportunity to bead in the new brakes 🫠
That sounds like the original 2019 GTI tune. Below 4000rpm was running really rich. Turned out the VVT didn't like the 0w20, which required some changes to the tune for actual timing and expected timing to match.

I would reset all engine adaptions and see if that solves your issue. If there's an issue with the tune or a sensor starting to fail, you'll slow see the issue return. And I wouldn't guess it's a sensor, as these cars are pretty good about giving a CEL when sensors go bad.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
That sounds like the original 2019 GTI tune. Below 4000rpm was running really rich. Turned out the VVT didn't like the 0w20, which required some changes to the tune for actual timing and expected timing to match.

I would reset all engine adaptions and see if that solves your issue. If there's an issue with the tune, you'll slow see the issue return.
Interesting. How does one reset engine adaptations? Just unplug the battery for a bit?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Some 3rd gear pulls to try and figure out why she's not making power. Shell 93 with 1 gal of GATE E85. APR LT 91 octane tune.

3rd gear pulls:
  1. Onset felt weak. Power below 4k was poor. A little better over 4k but still lacking.
  2. Same
  3. Same
A few observations: Timing advance is kinda weak at the start and above 4k. Also noticing timing advance at boost onset is a little bit variable. Seems to drop back a degree or 2 at times.

I'm really not sure what to make of it. Unfortunately, none of my PIDs for requested boost work. Does spool seem slow? And the sensor for boost never reads over 22.xx PSI. So good luck with this shit 😆

I would say it’s gas, but a gallon of E should’ve cleared that up. Now’s the time I wish APR had a home-flash tool so I could take the tune off and eliminate that as a variable 🙄

———

On the bright side, these pulls gave me a good opportunity to bed in the new brakes 🫠
Reset ECU adaptations per @GTIfan99's suggestion and didn't see different results. Butt dyno thought it kind of felt stronger, but I don't see anything significantly different on the logs.

This morning: https://datazap.me/u/mrmattolsen/11523-weak-onset-and-pull?log=0&data=3
This afternoon: https://datazap.me/u/mrmattolsen/11523-slightly-better-onset-and-pull?log=0&data=3

The only differences I can tell is the STFT is lower this afternoon after ECU reset, which is to be expected I think.

Since the car went from performing fine to suddenly performing less-fine after a fill-up, I have to believe it's fuel related. The part that stumps me is that a 91 octane tune on even bad 93 gas shouldn't have issues, and especially with a gallon of E85 mixed in. Nor am I seeing any obvious timing pull or anything on knock sensors. It just doesn't add up, and while a have a decent logging solution, it's not complete enough to get the data I need. Not sure what to do next. Remembering now that I had a similar issue on the stock tune too and couldn't pin anything down..

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Reset ECU adaptations per @GTIfan99's suggestion and didn't see different results. Butt dyno thought it kind of felt stronger, but I don't see anything significantly different on the logs.

This morning: https://datazap.me/u/mrmattolsen/11523-weak-onset-and-pull?log=0&data=3
This afternoon: https://datazap.me/u/mrmattolsen/11523-slightly-better-onset-and-pull?log=0&data=3

The only differences I can tell is the STFT is lower this afternoon after ECU reset, which is to be expected I think.

Since the car went from performing fine to suddenly performing less-fine after a fill-up, I have to believe it's fuel related. The part that stumps me is that a 91 octane tune on even bad 93 gas shouldn't have issues, and especially with a gallon of E85 mixed in. Nor am I seeing any obvious timing pull or anything on knock sensors. It just doesn't add up, and while a have a decent logging solution, it's not complete enough to get the data I need. Not sure what to do next.
Could be bad gas, or low ethanol gas. Filled up recently with some E0 91 and was getting knock like crazy. Had to mix in about 2 gallons of E85 at 80% to bring it up to E18ish before things calmed down.

This was also after the first heavy rain in awhile here, so could have been an issue with their tanks too.

If it was a place you don't normally fill up, try topping off at your usual station and see what happens.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

Since the car went from performing fine to suddenly performing less-fine after a fill-up, I have to believe it's fuel related. The part that stumps me is that a 91 octane tune on even bad 93 gas shouldn't have issues, and especially with a gallon of E85 mixed in. Nor am I seeing any obvious timing pull or anything on knock sensors. It just doesn't add up, and while a have a decent logging solution, it's not complete enough to get the data I need. Not sure what to do next. Remembering now that I had a similar issue on the stock tune too and couldn't pin anything down..
Also what are you using for logging? Your parameters are pretty slim pickings. You need a more robust logging parameter setup. https://datazap.me/u/storablecoma/log-1673637587?log=0&data=8-23

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
OBD MX+ and Car Scanner pro. Has tons of parameters but doesn’t process quickly if there’s too much and half of them don’t work. Not any good options for logging on iOS that I’ve found.
Ahh, iOS. That makes sense. SimosTools may possibly get an iOS app in the near future, but you didn't hear that from me. Otherwise I'd recommend picking up a $50 T-Mobile prepaid, or Boost mobile burner phone with Android and switching to SimosTools.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/simos-tools-new-phone-datalogging-app.389270/

Dongle is under $100 bucks from Switchleg shipped, just shoot him a PM. I'm using his dongle since A0s are still sold out everywhere and love it.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Should probably just go EQT and Cobb AP rite guys
youknow-you.gif

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Decided to just bleed my current brakes with the fluid I bought.

Mmm, forbidden lemonade...

1673816968454.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've shared this in my Helix/Ham thread, but not here. My most recent update is finally adding the Yagi VHF antennas for occasional contesting.

The "Yagi Module" weighs ~75 lbs; so, it takes a technique to get such a lopsided load onto the roof rack with finesse...

This is NOT a full-time addition to my car! I plan to mount this module about three weeks out of each year; basically, for contests and certain shows. Speaking of shows, it will be at "HamCation" in Orlando the weekend of February 10-12. I'm planning to visit Southside Euro in Jacksonville on the morning of the 8th. Perhaps I'll see some of you there.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Wheel design and sizing really swallowed up the big calipers and rotors more than I expected…
D82819F5-DD30-45D6-8C02-50AA4B52F934.jpeg
D37336D3-1305-4577-B1EE-0B07A1A83E1E.jpeg
F595C1F8-2217-43E7-9A2E-D871B43E4328.jpeg
CC7617AF-7A2E-4E78-8B69-590C2EDC2C10.jpeg

Going to do the 356mm rear rotors next weekend cause now they really look small in comparison.
50791EE7-ED9D-412F-A57D-2C80C280AC01.jpeg

*mk7 content with the wide fit peaking out
943D63E2-AA08-4AEE-8BF0-4ED71BA67715.jpeg