GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Thanks for the instructions.
Here what my fusebox looks like (image below). I don't have that fuse bridge. If i buy one, can i pass power to it? If not, can i use the existing bridge on the right and use two slots above the green 30 fuse?

Also, do you know the coding for regulating turn signal brightness?
According to my docs fuse SB21/22 should have battery+ (Klemme30). In the pic it looks like the "hot" side is already in the cavities. Feel free to check it with a multimeter, but IMO it should work too.
20221207_Fuse_Box.jpg

In terms of turn signal brightness, what are you looking for?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
According to my docs fuse SB21/22 should have battery+ (Klemme30). In the pic it looks like the "hot" side is already in the cavities. Feel free to check it with a multimeter, but IMO it should work too.
View attachment 267455

In terms of turn signal brightness, what are you looking for?
Yes, the hot side is indeed there. As far as installing a new fuse bridge that my base trim doesn't have, is there a clean way to add power to it? Can i pass a wire from the third connection point (see pic) on the metal discharge plate to the new bridge? And if so, how can i join the power wire to the two hot sides that i would install in the new bridge?

I assume i can also tap into the red-and-black wire you mention in your pdf? (Wouldn't want to do that, ideally, but still curious.)

20221207_064759.jpg

For the blinkers, i want to maybe reduce their brightness a tiny bit -- they are super bright. As far as i understand from my tinkering last night, blinkers are under Leuchte0 and Leuchte1 channels, so i think i can change their brightness using the Dimmwert setting.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yes, the hot side is indeed there. As far as installing a new fuse bridge that my base trim doesn't have, is there a clean way to add power to it? Can i pass a wire from the third connection point (see pic) on the metal discharge plate to the new bridge? And if so, how can i join the power wire to the two hot sides that i would install in the new bridge?

I assume i can also tap into the red-and-black wire you mention in your pdf? (Wouldn't want to do that, ideally, but still curious.)

View attachment 267458

For the blinkers, i want to maybe reduce their brightness a tiny bit -- they are super bright. As far as i understand from my tinkering last night, blinkers are under Leuchte0 and Leuchte1 channels, so i think i can change their brightness using the Dimmwert setting.
Don't know where the hot Black/Red wire comes from in my additional fuse bridge, but it looks like it powers at least fuse 34/35/36/37 all in one. I'm not sure where to get such a crimpable power bridge. IMO use the 2 open slots above the green fuse to make it easier.

Edit: There you go...
Sicherungskasten02.jpg

Never tinkered w/ the brightness of the turn signals, however DimmwertAB0/AB1 should be the right value to look at.

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Cleaned up foggy headlights, Cerakote headlight kit, wow! What a nice result, sure hope it lasts!
Their coating is good, it will last for a while especially if you take care of it. i.e. no automated car washes and rough handling. Their coating actually bonds into the polycarbonate, same as the Opticoat does. They also offer a limited lifetime warranty, but just for the price of the kit.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Don't know where the hot Black/Red wire comes from in my additional fuse bridge, but it looks like it powers at least fuse 34/35/36/37 all in one. I'm not sure where to get such a crimpable power bridge. IMO use the 2 open slots above the green fuse to make it easier.

Edit: There you go...View attachment 267478

Never tinkered w/ the brightness of the turn signals, however DimmwertAB0/AB1 should be the right value to look at.

That picture really helps. Looks like the B/R wire comes either from the battery+ wire or a Klemme 30. That bifurcation looks fancy though.
How did you know to use 20A fuses for the Osrams? They already come with fifteens, if i remember correctly. Not debating, just curious.

As far as Leuchte channels and their variables go, why do channels have variable pairs such as A and B, and then AB? Does AB somehow combine the attributes of A and B? Say i take a DRL Leuchte4 channel and set A to Tagfahrlicht, but also set B to a blinker. What would this combination do?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
That picture really helps. Looks like the B/R wire comes either from the battery+ wire or a Klemme 30. That bifurcation looks fancy though.
How did you know to use 20A fuses for the Osrams? They already come with fifteens, if i remember correctly. Not debating, just curious.

As far as Leuchte channels and their variables go, why do channels have variable pairs such as A and B, and then AB? Does AB somehow combine the attributes of A and B? Say i take a DRL Leuchte4 channel and set A to Tagfahrlicht, but also set B to a blinker. What would this combination do?
Honestly I only had 2x 20A available. Never remembered to exchange them to 15A. :-(

In A and B you select different light functions. In your example Leuchte4 would illuminate every time a request for Tagfahrlicht = DRL or Blinker = Turn signal would be called out in the BCM. Since the pairs A/B, C/D, … always share the same Dimmwert = Dimming factor and the same dimming direction/hatch door condition it doesn’t make sense to put 2 opposite behaviors into one pair. On Top there’s a prioritizing from G/H down to A/B. G/H has the highest priority.

Below are the settings for Leuchte4 und Leuchte5 on my OSRAMs:
E340883E-C4E3-4687-A898-C49C2AAC2F9B.jpeg

F5608BC0-8090-4050-AA35-387D5EB2CBCE.jpeg

With no lights on the DRL = Tagfahrlicht turn on no matter if the hatch door is open or closed (HD = always). As soon as I use the turn signal (bright and dark phase) the DRL gets dimmed to 40% as long as the turn signal is activated. Because it’s in D (C would be okay as well) it has a higher priority than A/B. Since A/B has a dimming value of 100% the dimming direction of C/D needs to be minimize. E/F are for running lights and parking lights. The correct dimming value is 40%. Since E/F has a higher priority than C/D and DRL aren’t activated with running lights on the dimming direction is maximize here. Does that make sense?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Honestly I only had 2x 20A available. Never remembered to exchange them to 15A. :-(

In A and B you select different light functions. In your example Leuchte4 would illuminate every time a request for Tagfahrlicht = DRL or Blinker = Turn signal would be called out in the BCM. Since the pairs A/B, C/D, … always share the same Dimmwert = Dimming factor and the same dimming direction/hatch door condition it doesn’t make sense to put 2 opposite behaviors into one pair. On Top there’s a prioritizing from G/H down to A/B. G/H has the highest priority.

Below are the settings for Leuchte4 und Leuchte5 on my OSRAMs:
View attachment 267488
View attachment 267489
With no lights on the DRL = Tagfahrlicht turn on no matter if the hatch door is open or closed (HD = always). As soon as I use the turn signal (bright and dark phase) the DRL gets dimmed to 40% as long as the turn signal is activated. Because it’s in D (C would be okay as well) it has a higher priority than A/B. Since A/B has a dimming value of 100% the dimming direction of C/D needs to be minimize. E/F are for running lights and parking lights. The correct dimming value is 40%. Since E/F has a higher priority than C/D and DRL aren’t activated with running lights on the dimming direction is maximize here. Does that make sense?
The priority schedule makes sense now. So basically i can assign multiple behaviors to the same channel, kind of like an else-if code block... Does that mean that there are more ways than one to code the same behavior, such as dimming Osram DRLs when the blinker comes on?

The only thing I'm still not fully clear on is the minimize concept. Maybe I'm dwelling too much on the word definitions.

If 4 and 5 channels are for the DRL LEDs, what are channels 2 and 3 on the Osram retrofits for a car that comes with stick halogens? I coded my DRLs using only channels 4 and 5 using the Blinken links/rechts aktiv variables, and was able to not use Leuchte2 and 3 at all.

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Oil change, haldex service, and plugs. 10k on this set 1-4 left to right. Paging Dr Diggs.

55584561-DD32-4D87-92FD-1464ADA12CEE.jpeg
5E7F5BB3-98A3-4248-AE8F-377842900CD6.jpeg