GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Do you only have to do that for electronic parking brakes?
Yes. The standard parking brake cars need only a caliper compression tool. Make sure to lube the sliders and install them correctly as well.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
006AD6B3-A4DA-4D8B-83F0-7D942CA17E27.jpeg

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Got my first maintenance warning light after 4.5 years and 38k miles: BRAKE WEAR. Anyone know how many miles of cushion I should have left? Figure it can wait till the 40k service. Have some iSweep pads waiting to go on, not expecting it to need rotors. Never tracked, lots of highway miles.
From the techs at both my dealership and tuning shop, you must replace rotors when replacing pads. They're not designed to be turned on a lathe and you definitely don't put new pads on old rotors.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Yeah the car could go straight to the scrap yard for all I care, as long as the wife is ok.

I guess there were three lanes going the same direction and she was middle lane half a car back from the right lane (which was slowing to turn right). He blindly pinned it and cut across directly in the path of my wife and the far left lane car. I guess wife was going faster and even locking up the brakes she clipped his bumper.

Being a Altima owner he ran, so she went over a concrete divider curb further down (small enough it didn’t scrap) and chased him down.

I’m proud of her for going full Super Trooper and running him down, but honestly with as crazy as people can be that might not have been the best move.
Just now seeing this... People a crazy out there. Glad to hear she is ok

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've been overhauling my electronics area to make room for more equipment. See my latest YT video for the plan:

So far, I've ripped-out the old electronics panel (including the subwoofer), cut a new panel and added a piano hinge, installed a new trailer lighting module, and added sound dampening material in the trunk. Next, I will carpet the new panel, reinstall the trunk trim, and start rewiring everything. Rewiring happens every few years since things can get unruly as new equipment is added. The big nest of wires that you see is from recent additions, particularly the LiFePo4 battery and new circuits. Rewiring allows me to reorder the layout and make things tidy again. We'll see if I've gained enough new space to be tidy. :p

My goal is to finish before my role as radio net control station on Wednesday. There has been and will be more rain delays. :cautious:

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Car barely started after sitting at the airport for a week. I check the battery when I got home and it was only putting out 10.5v.

Can’t believe it died after only 2.5 years.

Fortunately I got a free replacement from Autozone!

Quick question though, I tried updating the battery serial code in obd11 but it wouldn’t write. Has anyone else had this issue?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For testing purposes connected the external soundaktor and module. Terrible pictures but the module is connected to provision wiring behind the driver seat. The speaker is sitting on the floor behind the passenger seat.
PXL_20221112_161440647.jpgPXL_20221112_161420163.jpg

Coded for the module with VCDS, then with ODIS-E flashed unlocked SQ5 3.0 TDI firmware (for Gen 2.5 units) from here. No faults, output test works (super loud in the car, haha). So my coding, wiring, module and speaker are all good. I planned for this sometime ago so already had it configured in my driving profile data set. Checking measuring values of the module show it receiving/accepting driving profile settings properly but...

No sound while driving 😶. I suspect I've got the same issue I had with some of the unlocked firmwares I initially tried for the internal soundaktor. Which is the firmware I loaded is for a car with DSG 🤦🏿‍♂️. I suspect something in the phone where is looking for information from the DSG module which is not there on my 6MT.

From what I can tell the only generation 2.5 modules are from vehicles that only came with DSG so I might be out of luck. Fortunately I have a generation 2 module on its way from somewhere in Europe. Made it through customs yesterday so hopefully have it in by next week then get this going.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI