GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

sherbet

Ready to race!
LMAO, the joke is on everyone that thinks I care about the ugly weld.

The running joke of people that know this car is the budget beater. The DP, along with almost new IS20, mint R front and rear seats, and OEM VW hatch spoiler were all literally given to me by a friend. I have cool friends like that. He gave the DP to me with a broken flange, another friend welded it back on- for free. He even warned me ahead of time that “ it’s not going to be pretty but it’ll hold.”Sometimes, gratitude gets you further in life. And yes, I polished the rest of it because I’m an idiot and don’t have 9,000 other more important things that need my attention. This is my beater, daily car, I could care less if it’s got an ugly weld under the hood when I’ve spent all of $2800 on all of my mods (total, labor is all mine). That’s $2800 for NIB KW V3, 034 end links, APR PEX, ecs inlet/intake hose, Uni Stage 2 file,4 Falken RT615k, gti style rear valance, honeycomb reflector inserts, and the following used but very good parts..Full mk7 R seats, EdReps, IS20, oem hatch spoiler, and Uni Catted DP.

The circumstances that led to me getting the car with 3k miles from another friend were also ridiculously kind to my wallet: So for $19,500, all in- including purchase and install of all mods and the car itself, I have owned this oem + nicely modded Golf Hatch since basically new, 96k miles later, done a few basic services and fuel, and can walk a lot of much more expensive cars, in comfort, sipping fuel.

I have yet to run the dragy yet with the DP but prior to install my best 100-200 on a 60° day was 12.88s, I’m on the faster off the shelf tuned IS20 cars around. Butt dyno is telling me that the downpipe easily cut More than .5s off that, likely closer to 1 or more. I have spent more than double the entire Cost I have into the golf just modding and upkeeping my project fun car. So, it’s hard for me to bitch about my booger weld hiding under my hood. If it makes you all feel better, pics of the exhaust I just had built for my B5..which the running joke is always that with the amount of money I’ve thrown down the drain over 15+ yrs of ownership, I could have had a 800hp DAZA R swap + my 1.8 daily. Masochism at its finest.

7C43A871-CA87-4AE4-9DF6-4DF6E5C4CB86.jpeg
23742AE1-F8F8-4FFE-B6BF-ACCF5FEDAC87.jpeg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I could care less
I mean… long post would disagree. Haha actions/words

I don’t think anyone was intending to hurt you, the back and forth and subject matter for the discussion was built around “did unitronics send it like that” I did see mixed in your response that was answered.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
LMAO, the joke is on everyone that thinks I care about the ugly weld.

The running joke of people that know this car is the budget beater. The DP, along with almost new IS20, mint R front and rear seats, and OEM VW hatch spoiler were all literally given to me by a friend. I have cool friends like that. He gave the DP to me with a broken flange, another friend welded it back on- for free. He even warned me ahead of time that “ it’s not going to be pretty but it’ll hold.”Sometimes, gratitude gets you further in life. And yes, I polished the rest of it because I’m an idiot and don’t have 9,000 other more important things that need my attention. This is my beater, daily car, I could care less if it’s got an ugly weld under the hood when I’ve spent all of $2800 on all of my mods (total, labor is all mine). That’s $2800 for NIB KW V3, 034 end links, APR PEX, ecs inlet/intake hose, Uni Stage 2 file,4 Falken RT615k, gti style rear valance, honeycomb reflector inserts, and the following used but very good parts..Full mk7 R seats, EdReps, IS20, oem hatch spoiler, and Uni Catted DP.

The circumstances that led to me getting the car with 3k miles from another friend were also ridiculously kind to my wallet: So for $19,500, all in- including purchase and install of all mods and the car itself, I have owned this oem + nicely modded Golf Hatch since basically new, 96k miles later, done a few basic services and fuel, and can walk a lot of much more expensive cars, in comfort, sipping fuel.

I have yet to run the dragy yet with the DP but prior to install my best 100-200 on a 60° day was 12.88s, I’m on the faster off the shelf tuned IS20 cars around. Butt dyno is telling me that the downpipe easily cut More than .5s off that, likely closer to 1 or more. I have spent more than double the entire Cost I have into the golf just modding and upkeeping my project fun car. So, it’s hard for me to bitch about my booger weld hiding under my hood. If it makes you all feel better, pics of the exhaust I just had built for my B5..which the running joke is always that with the amount of money I’ve thrown down the drain over 15+ yrs of ownership, I could have had a 800hp DAZA R swap + my 1.8 daily. Masochism at its finest.

View attachment 265244View attachment 265245
thank you this was exactly the answer i was looking for...

sherbet

Ready to race!
I mean… long post would disagree. Haha actions/words

I don’t think anyone was intending to hurt you, the back and forth and subject matter for the discussion was built around “did unitronics send it like that” I did see mixed in your response that was answered.
I could care less about the weld. My point is to show that I didn’t feel the need to post about me getting it all for free initially. I would be an idiot if I let a downpipe from unitonic like that slide if I had paid retail. Does it matter what people on the golf forum think of Me? No… but I’d still like to explain if multiple people are commenting.

Truly, am not upset or hurt. I learned long ago that getting upset about forum posts is quite a waste of energy. The car thing is not only my hobby, but my career as well. My “long post” was more picking fun at how awesome this car has been relative to what I’ve spent. So yes, I could care less about the weld, but instead of pointing out the flaws all the time, I wish people would point out the positives. I’m here to share my fun little side project/daily and hopefully gain some knowledge and share some knowledge
That could maybe help others along the way. I like long posts, so get used to it 😆

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Haha, doubled down on the misalignment of actions and words… but regardless your golf, approach to it and projects done to it are awesome.👍

Maybe reflect some on how it actually comes off if you really want to portray a “I don’t care what others say” persona though…

For your clarity… my mention of your “long post” was a light hearted comedic poke. Most of us here like to play around and joke, but I guess I can see how that comes off as well based on the typical climate of the internet 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
^couldn't care less

Not "could care less"

🤣

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Of everything on the car to care about, that weld IS important ESPECIALLY on a daily driver.

When it breaks again you’re risking brake failure or burning the car to the ground (I personally know someone that happened to btw on a big turbo Mk4 GLI back when those cars were new.

Nobody’s making fun of you, we’re looking out for you. Take it as you will, but that weld will break again unfortunately & I’m not saying that because of the aesthetics of your buddies weld. Metal fatigue, soot contamination into the base metal & the improper process by Unitronic (lack of back purge) when it was originally built are what make that a certainty.

sherbet

Ready to race!
Haha, doubled down on the misalignment of actions and words… but regardless your golf, approach to it and projects done to it are awesome.👍

Maybe reflect some on how it actually comes off if you really want to portray a “I don’t care what others say” persona

Is this a test? Trying to see if I will take you up on the free therapy and prove that I do care what people think? Haha, I don’t mind criticism and see your point, however, don’t you think it’s a bit early to tell me all about my persona? I mean, we just met two posts ago after all. You’re on the right track with that compliment about my car, buttering me up already. Thank you though, appreciate the comment.

In an effort to remain on topic, got the booger welds installed on the car. I am a moron and overlooked the fact this exhaust was off of a GTI. Since my 1.8tsi catback is 60mm, and GTI being 65, I had to “massage” the 3”-65mm collector with a hammer to make it work. To my surprise, a slight leak is present at that connection. Also fought for an hour and a half with a bitch of a clampco 3” vband that wanted all the heat, and creative expletives. PSA: unless your name is Ronnie Coleman, I suggest avoiding these for literally any other brand of vband clamp. Literally anything. Save yourself.

If anyone cares, can post a sound clip when I receive my 60mm collector, spoiler alert, it’s not likely to blow your hair back

In all her glory, boogers and all.

AF549FE9-9E94-4CE9-A4E1-1492E80E866E.jpeg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think people here were more upset at Unitronic for the weld (on the initial assumption they had sold it that way), not getting after you for having purchased (or been gifted, how would we know?) the downpipe with the weld.

Info like this helps a person like me that knows jack sh!t about welds. I can see that some look nice and some do not but how much and/or why that matters is beyond me. If I was in the downpipe market I would likely post it in this thread when it showed up at my house. I would need someone to say "hey that looks suspect" at which point I could decide to return it, install it... or whatever, but from a better informed position.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Is this a test? Trying to see if I will take you up on the free therapy and prove that I do care what people think? Haha, I don’t mind criticism and see your point, however, don’t you think it’s a bit early to tell me all about my persona? I mean, we just met two posts ago after all. You’re on the right track with that compliment about my car, buttering me up already. Thank you though, appreciate the comment.

In an effort to remain on topic, got the booger welds installed on the car. I am a moron and overlooked the fact this exhaust was off of a GTI. Since my 1.8tsi catback is 60mm, and GTI being 65, I had to “massage” the 3”-65mm collector with a hammer to make it work. To my surprise, a slight leak is present at that connection. Also fought for an hour and a half with a bitch of a clampco 3” vband that wanted all the heat, and creative expletives. PSA: unless your name is Ronnie Coleman, I suggest avoiding these for literally any other brand of vband clamp. Literally anything. Save yourself.

If anyone cares, can post a sound clip when I receive my 60mm collector, spoiler alert, it’s not likely to blow your hair back

In all her glory, boogers and all.

View attachment 265251

The v bands UNI used take a crush gasket, so replacing that should resolve any leaks you have at a v band.

823EEAFA-BF7D-4F75-8B6F-4E95A56024A1.jpeg

sherbet

Ready to race!
The v bands UNI used take a crush gasket, so replacing that should resolve any leaks you have at a v band.

View attachment 265252
Lol, it was a sarcastic joke about my oversight that I need a 3 inch -> 60mm collector for my 1.8 cat back. Fortunately I did think to order the sealing rings. The dp came off a GTI, which came with a 3”-65mm collector. It’s leaking because It was 2am and I stubbornly refuse to put the stock pay it back in and just order the right part, so I beat the shit out of the 65 mm with a hammer and made it fit. It’s not provide the smoothest transition so there is a nice little ripple effect around the inside of the clamp where it mates. It did make me laugh really hard at how pathetic the end of the pipe looked but it got me home, leaks and all. Besides, my ghetto collector mod, zero leakage.

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
Got my first maintenance warning light after 4.5 years and 38k miles: BRAKE WEAR. Anyone know how many miles of cushion I should have left? Figure it can wait till the 40k service. Have some iSweep pads waiting to go on, not expecting it to need rotors. Never tracked, lots of highway miles.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Got my first maintenance warning light after 4.5 years and 38k miles: BRAKE WEAR. Anyone know how many miles of cushion I should have left? Figure it can wait till the 40k service. Have some iSweep pads waiting to go on, not expecting it to need rotors. Never tracked, lots of highway miles.

Im distracted from your question by the beauty of your black R...

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion

Mine lasted 55k before needing brakes. Never got a warning or anything but was going on a road trip in the mountains and had my mechanic check. Ended up doing the job myself since I have vcds to retract the parking brake and saved some money. Wasn’t worth pad slapping it to me.