Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I drove it and it was fantastic

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
About to drive home from work and once again listen to that IS38 bitch and complain that I can't open her up for more than 2 seconds. She's a chatty girl lately. 😂

sherbet

Ready to race!
In my experience back in the Mk6 days, Golf shaped vehicles get floaty above 150mph.

I don’t generally do more than a 1/4 mile pull since becoming a dad.
The car is on Michelin PS4 and KW variant 3 coilovers- which I have spent a good amount of time adjusting to my ideal setting. I was going to say it was relatively calm at 150, I couldn’t believe it.

Also installed the Uni 3” catted DP I’ve had lying around for a while. Finally a chance to get her on my lift at the shop, which is mostly occupied by cars with wheels worth the cost of my entire car lol. Please forgive my filthy mess of a car and my current “winter” wheels. Taking a quick break to post this before the Uni pipe goes in. Will update with pics installed and perhaps a sound clip mated to the bone stock cat back. Seems like nobody runs full oem cat back and 3” DP on the hatch, curious to hear the hopefully subtle spice increase.
7FFABFE9-2320-4732-8F12-98B45329630B.jpeg
71169CC5-B4D3-46BB-9A44-FD6BFAD9B26E.jpeg

1B597ACE-0451-41DD-9AC0-4F01D7D4E8C0.jpeg
A6726F8D-55DC-491C-A9D4-188C316AA606.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
The car is on Michelin PS4 and KW variant 3 coilovers- which I have spent a good amount of time adjusting to my ideal setting. I was going to say it was relatively calm at 150, I couldn’t believe it.

Also installed the Uni 3” catted DP I’ve had lying around for a while. Finally a chance to get her on my lift at the shop, which is mostly occupied by cars with wheels worth the cost of my entire car lol. Please forgive my filthy mess of a car and my current “winter” wheels. Taking a quick break to post this before the Uni pipe goes in. Will update with pics installed and perhaps a sound clip mated to the bone stock cat back. Seems like nobody runs full oem cat back and 3” DP on the hatch, curious to hear the hopefully subtle spice increase.
I've been running 3" catted DP (42dd) to stock catback on my R and it was much less noticeable of a change compared to the same setup I had on my MK6 GTI.
No drone issues, and just a very slightly more aggressive sounding than stock.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Are you telling me that Uni have the courage to sell a downpipe with those welds? Or did you bought it second hand from somebody that butchered it?

Yeah that turbo flange section jump at me instantly! Def looked like someone caked on some layers of filler rod 😂 . It don’t match the others welds at all some I’m guessing it cracked and this was a persons repair

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Are you telling me that Uni have the courage to sell a downpipe with those welds? Or did you bought it second hand from somebody that butchered it?

Thank god someone else saw that lol

Yeah that turbo flange section jump at me instantly! Def looked like someone caked on some layers of filler rod 😂 . It don’t match the others welds at all some I’m guessing it cracked and this was a persons repair

They made the effort to match the polish of the rest.

All of the other welds are really high speed fusion, so maybe all they had was one big dusty ol 1/4” filler rod chilling in the back waiting for this opportunity 🙃

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You guys telling me that more isn't better?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
My Uni DP does not look like that at all

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My Uni DP does not look like that at all

To the untrained eye, but hot & fast fusion welds (no filler rod at all) aren’t any stronger.

The material thickness ends up being about half when you’re drawing the gap closed with base material from both sides.

This is my second most popular video, which semi deeps dives into how to weld stainless correctly (& incorrectly). Not throwing shade at Uni specifically, but this is stuff anyone who’s purchasing welded products should have behind the scenes information on to make a informed decision. There’s a lot more to welds than a uniform bead.

This platform is an afterthought to Uni.

Still slinging water flavored tunes from 2016 for the most money in the industry with emissions readiness turned off even on tunes that they never intended that to be the case on.