GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
26CD80E5-A28B-4352-A3C5-A0A28573CD74.jpeg

Got a free digit a couple of weeks ago.

After 3 weeks of traveling I finally drove my car to work today again. Original battery in August 2016 built car with 12.38V before start, started fine, however parking brake had a hart time to break free. The first 5-10km I hd to use my handbrake a lot šŸ˜‰

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Feeling more and more like my DSG (or something) has an issue. I have this same whine from the below video (not my video) and I canā€™t be certain but it might have gotten louder since the last time it was windows-down weather.

No, itā€™s not the turbo. Itā€™s linked to RPM, not boost. Happens in gears 1-3, usually 2-4k rpm. Same loudness whether Iā€™m accelerating, maintaining, or decelerating. Might happen in higher gears too but thereā€™s too much road noise to tell. Maybe a worn out bearing.

Iā€™ve searched high and low and Iā€™ve yet to find anyone who had this exact sound *and* had a follow-up that was conclusive. I found one but the OP said his sound was ā€œalmost likeā€ that.

Can anyone else with a DSG confirm they do or donā€™t have this sound? The comments on the video suggest others have experienced it. Iā€™ve had it since I bought the car 12k miles ago. But itā€™s pretty loud with the windows down and it seems there would be more posts about this if it was common. Not a subtle whine at all.

The dealership checked it out last year and they said it was normal, but again I find that hard to believe and Iā€™m not confident in what they did to examine it. Alternatively it could be unrelated to the transmission and is an engine part or simply a belt pulley.

Iā€™m a very anxious person so naturally this now occupies 100% of my mind lol.

Otherwise, the DSG performs great and I love it. But I would rather fix a bearing issue now than replace the transmission later.

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Feeling more and more like my DSG has an issue. It has this same whine from the below video (not my video) and I canā€™t be certain but it might have gotten louder since the last time it was windows-down weather.

No, itā€™s not the turbo. Itā€™s linked to RPM, not boost. Happens in gears 1-3, usually 2-4k rpm. Same loudness whether Iā€™m accelerating, maintaining, or decelerating. Might happen in higher gears too but thereā€™s too much road noise to tell. Maybe a worn out bearing.

Iā€™ve searched high and low and Iā€™ve yet to find anyone who had this exact sound *and* had a follow-up that was conclusive. I found one but the OP said his sound was ā€œalmost likeā€ that.

Can anyone else with a DSG confirm they do or donā€™t have this sound? The comments on the video suggest others have experienced it. Iā€™ve had it since I bought the car 12k miles ago. But itā€™s pretty loud with the windows down and it seems there would be more posts about this if it was common.

The dealership checked it out last year and they said it was normal, but again I find that hard to believe and Iā€™m not confident in what they did to examine it. Alternatively it could be unrelated to the transmission and is an engine part or simply a belt pulley.

Otherwise, the DSG performs great and I love it. But I would rather fix a bearing issue now than replace the transmission later.
I have a DSG too and I donā€™t need to tryā€¦I donā€™t have that whine. You sure itā€™s DSG related? Sounds like a belt gear or something

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have a DSG too and I donā€™t need to tryā€¦I donā€™t have that whine. You sure itā€™s DSG related? Sounds like a belt gear or something
I do not know itā€™s DSG related. I get the whine if I rev the car in N or P. So šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø. But itā€™s linked to RPM and itā€™s gear-y sounding lol.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Damn I feel that in my soul šŸ˜‚

I've been on two different DQ250's in 4 years, and don't think I've ever heard anything I'd call a "whine". I watched the video on my phone and didn't really hear anything, but I'll watch it again later on my computer with headphones.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Damn I feel that in my soul šŸ˜‚

I've been on two different DQ250's in 4 years, and don't think I've ever heard anything I'd call a "whine". I watched the video on my phone and didn't really hear anything, but I'll watch it again later on my computer with headphones.
Youā€™ll specifically hear it as he slows down

And Iā€™m still anxious about Diggsā€™ detonation comment LOL

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
my what comment?

Also, mine has been whining for years. Send it.

You can hear it come in around 7s. Sounds like when you're landing on the aircraft carrier on Top Gun (fuck that game).

https://flic.kr/p/LDCx9W
That sounds very different from what Iā€™m hearing. I can actually barely hear it inside. I looked through some of your videos and itā€™s not the same whine.

Yokohama Advan Apex V601s

Yeah, I'm sure those are real quiet, lol
Wut. I never claimed my tires were quiet (although theyā€™re actually not too noisy)ā€¦ what does that have to do with anything?

Last edited:

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Took out the plugs just to take a peek. What's up with the specks on the plug on the left? The left is cylinder 1 and the right is cylinder 4. Two and three looked like the plug on the right as well with no specks.

IMG_4089.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG