GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I did this with the DeAutoKey LEDs built for our cars and it works great. Sharp cutoff and good light coverage. Minimal glare 👍 👍
Prepare to be berated by the internet. lol.

I'm thinking of doing the same bulbs in my 2018 S. I'll have to wait until my son comes to visit, because he's not a car guy and was proud of himself for replacing the battery.

The 19 Rabbit has the LEDs and no issues.

I get flashed constantly in my wife's Outback with factory LEDs, even after having them adjusted repeatedly. The suspension pitches and dives so much, it's impossible not to make people angry.

Last edited:

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I did this with the DeAutoKey LEDs built for our cars and it works great. Sharp cutoff and good light coverage. Minimal glare 👍 👍
That will probably be the route I go (if ever). The rep headlights look cool and all, but IMHO that is money I could use for MOAR POWAH. Plus I don't drive at night that often.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
But Reps are garbage so it’s probably best to leave them alone.

My Ed’s BEC have aged like milk & I highly doubt the longevity of other non OEM replacements are any different.
The halogen headlights are garbage.

Anytime I have to drive out of the city at night along dimly lit or not lit at all country roads my immediate thought is "I need to buy some aftermarket LED or HID". Either I have my high beams on or I don't see more than a couple meters in front of my car.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Prepare to be berated by the internet. lol.

I'm thinking of doing the same bulbs in my 2018 S. I'll have to wait until my son comes to visit, because he's not a car guy and was proud of himself for replacing the battery.
Oh I know. People are stuck in 2015 in their heads back when aftermarket LEDs were a crappy fit and a glare fest. They’ve improved a lot in the last few years. Never gonna be as good as a projector setup made for LEDs, but def better than stock.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Osrams... long thread, but post 7 has a pic.

I've only read good things about Osram support, be it sending a part or the entire housing, even out of warranty.
Keep in mind this is what Osram does, and these are road legal in the EU so expect higher quality than any reps.
And yes, I know they aren't road legal in the US, but neither are any reps.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/osram-ledriving-condensation.407633/
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/issue-with-osram-ledriving-headlights.9508375/

Edit: I installed mine early 2019, zero issues to date.

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Anytime I have to drive out of the city at night along dimly lit or not lit at all country roads my immediate thought is "I need to buy some aftermarket LED or HID". Either I have my high beams on or I don't see more than a couple meters in front of my car.
Do it. Fuck the seats, get better lights.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I agree, my poverty spec GTI came with halogens & I live in BFE.

Just here to tell you the quality of aftermarket headlights leave a lot to be desired.
7AD53459-503A-4E61-9FC7-5872961F1906.jpeg

The do perform better, but are cheaply made & very poorly engineered.

If the DeAuto replacement bulbs actually work well with proper cut off & don’t blind other drivers they may be your best solution. Although new bright white halogen bulbs would absolutely beat the yellow OEM set

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Fixed the holding tab MST has riveted to the airbox. I noticed it was flimsy, and had some vertical play to it, so I drilled out the rivets and used M4 hex socket head screws with nylon locking nuts to sturdy it up the connection.

PXL_20221003_154036774.MP.jpg

PXL_20221003_160441155.MP.jpg

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I had LED bulbs in my halogen headlamps before I installed the BMP Illuminators. They had a "good" cutoff and no one ever flashed me at night. They were definitely brighter than stock bulbs, but the BMP Illuminators have way better visibility. With that said, I don't think I would buy them again though since it looks like it might be a pain in the ass to replace the LEDs if they go. I could be wrong.

It's sad that a 2020 VW GTI rock halogen headlamps from factory. When I had a 2011 Kia Sportage, even that had projectors.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Thread engagement, locking devices, tube, line, & cable management.

All the little things that make all the difference!
this sounds like me.. oh wait, Im an ex navy F-18 avionics guy lol.