Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I think I want to wrap my R lipaz blue.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Replaced spark plugs on daughters new to us (but 140k mile) Golf 1.8....in 30+ years of diy maintaining cars I've never had the amount of trouble I had with these! Have a feeling they may never have been changed. 1 and 4 binding badly on way out, concerns of strippage high. Copious use of PB blaster and a strategy of 5 quarter turns loosening, tighten back three, then go again finally got those suckers out with no damage. Rutheniums in.

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Replaced spark plugs on daughters new to us (but 140k mile) Golf 1.8....in 30+ years of diy maintaining cars I've never had the amount of trouble I had with these! Have a feeling they may never have been changed. 1 and 4 binding badly on way out, concerns of strippage high. Copious use of PB blaster and a strategy of 5 quarter turns loosening, tighten back three, then go again finally got those suckers out with no damage. Rutheniums in.

Post pics of what they looked like !

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Surprisingly tips not in bad condition. Nor was there any immediately noticeable issue in how the car was running but now the new ones are in can tell the idle is smoother. Who knows, maybe they were changed at some point.... Not for a while though even if so!

Attachments

• PXL_20221001_154433903.jpg
    PXL_20221001_154433903.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65

GRM

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15/GTI MT 23/GTI DSG
Unclogged the roof drains. Been raining like crazy in NC for the past couple days and I found water inside the car.
Poured some deep penetrating oil in both holes. WD40 should also do the job. Let it stay for a few minutes then I used a 5ft wire to push the dirt. I made sure the end that was going inside is bent for a smooth path through the rubber hose.
They were unclogged in a matter of seconds and liquid started pouring under the car (undeneath the A pillar). Then I poured some Clorox (about a cup) on each side to clean the oil.

IMG_3756.jpgIMG_3757.jpgIMG_3758.jpgIMG_3759.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Unclogged the roof drains. Been raining like crazy in NC for the past couple days and I found water inside the car.
Poured some deep penetrating oil in both holes. WD40 should also do the job. Let it stay for a few minutes then I used a 5ft wire to push the dirt. I made sure the end that was going inside is bent for a smooth path through the rubber hose.
They were unclogged in a matter of seconds and liquid started pouring under the car (undeneath the A pillar). Then I poured some Clorox (about a cup) on each side to clean the oil.

View attachment 262064View attachment 262065View attachment 262066View attachment 262067

Just a PSA, WD40 dries out rubber and should not be used to clear drain lines

GRM

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15/GTI MT 23/GTI DSG
Just a PSA, WD40 dries out rubber and should not be used to clear drain lines
You could be right. It was a suggestion.
Best way to unclog is baking soda and vinegar but the hole is way too small.

GRM

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15/GTI MT 23/GTI DSG
T
I’d use compressed air personally, just need to be careful not to over do it as it can also damage the lines if you get wild
That's how I started but could not find a nozzle to fit the holes

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Don't they use a wire fish tape to clear them at the dealer? Even if using something rubber friendly I'd probably hit your seals with something like gummi pflege regardless.

Did you completely remove the spider traps? Heard that helps. Avoided the Pano luckily myself.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I also did the sunroof drains on daughters car earlier this week. Used weed whacker cord down for front two drains down fro top initially but couldn't clear the clog so took the wiper arms off and trim, and got at the drain exits/spider traps near bulk head which seems to be where the clogs were, got them cleared easy enough. After the weed whacker cord ran some white vinegar through them and a further flush with water an hour later. Rear drains are easier to get to from the bottom, don't even have to jack the car up. They weren't really blocked but I ran the car up from the bottom regardless and then the white vinegar treatment.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Finally got around to polishing the other side of the car with my Rupes. I found that going coarse foam pad and coarse cut polish, then chasing that with ultra fine polish gave the best result. Picture because carbon fiber lol.

cf_fenders.jpg