GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Hell no. I don't quit. And besides, if I have to shift at 6600 instead of 7000, whoopty do.
Maybe I missed this but what are you gapping your plugs to?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah dude, the shots showing the post chamber sections of your heads is FULL of carbon build up. The type that when you get it cleaned will feel like a new car.

See, that's a stupid rabbit hole I hate going down. Ok, gotta find a shop that can do a walnut blast carbon cleaning. Which really, I'm not against. But then, do I just say "fuck it", and have them replace injectors while they're in there since the manifold is already off?

It's so much easier to just riceburner the car and get a new one 🤣

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
See, that's a stupid rabbit hole I hate going down. Ok, gotta find a shop that can do a walnut blast carbon cleaning. Which really, I'm not against. But then, do I just say "fuck it", and have them replace injectors while they're in there since the manifold is already off?

Weren’t you planning to get the carbon cleaning done when you got the R and the dealer had some warranty work they were doing?

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Carbon cleaning is easy. Doesn't need to be walnut blasted either. Just a few hours of your time.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Weren’t you planning to get the carbon cleaning done when you got the R and the dealer had some warranty work they were doing?

They did a chemical carbon cleaning. Not a full walnut blast.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Quite the letdown.

Yeah. They had deemed the waterpump\t-stat housing fine (which I agree with really, was just hoping to get a new free replacement), so the manifold wasn't taken off.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Carbon cleaning is easy. Doesn't need to be walnut blasted either. Just a few hours of your time.

I don't know anything about cars and don't want to take off my intake manifold myself.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
All you have to do is put the manifold in service mode ;)

I watched FCP's video, and didn't see where they use the 2x4...

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion

Have them cleaned and flow tested while the manifold is off, new seals, replace if necessary.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Have them cleaned and flow tested while the manifold is off, new seals, replace if necessary.

I'm having trouble finding a place to even just do the carbon cleaning...

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Prepped for autox on Sat.... Rotated wheels, checked brakes, checked oil, washed my helmet pads.

And got the APR DSG tune added. Wow, what a wonderful difference! In D mode, the car drives how I want it to, keeping revs higher, and no longer racing to the highest gear and lugging the engine. Sport mode is actually usable on the street now. Manual mode now holds the gears without auto-upshifting. Launch control is easier to... control. And letting off the brake from a start has almost zero delay now.

Last edited: