GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
#3 has carbon tracking. That's the spark going through the path of least resistance and spark not happening in the combustion chamber, thus the misfire.
Is this what you're referring to?

84ixH.jpeg

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Don’t be a tease. Let’s see some times.
Once the times don’t suck, I’ll get them posted. I have to get launching down. That is really killing my time.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

Attachments

• IMG_4034.JPG
    IMG_4034.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 44

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
pistons on 1 and2 dont look healthy
Damage is already done I guess so it might be a dumb question, but what does that mean for the longevity of the motor?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Damage is already done I guess so it might be a dumb question, but what does that mean for the longevity of the motor?

Means you’re lucky, because worse detonation results in the rod bearings leaving the chat or worst case a rod bending or breaking.

You can pull the oil filter, hold it over a white sheet of paper and cut it open (unroll it) so any chunks fall onto the paper. If there’s bronze bearing material in there that’s when you worry/make plans to rebuild or replace.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Means you’re lucky, because worse detonation results in the rod bearings leaving the chat or worst case a rod bending or breaking.

You can pull the oil filter, hold it over a white sheet of paper and cut it open (unroll it) so any chunks fall onto the paper. If there’s bronze bearing material in there that’s when you worry/make plans to rebuild or replace.
Just did an oil change 1k ago and I always take a look in the filter and didn’t see anything there.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just did an oil change 1k ago and I always take a look in the filter and didn’t see anything there.

Just posting here because the masses aren’t in our text conversation, but checking the filter after the codes/event yesterday is key because of potential bearing damage from said event.

Better to know, because bearing damage can ruin a perfectly good crank if left to get worse

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
TMD installed after two months of buying it and sitting in the garage.. not sure if it was worth it or not - killed my lower back being bent over the motor 😂

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Starting my track prep to get back out on track in October now that it's cooling down in SoCal.

Ordered some Brembo RE10 front enduro race pads, supposed to be comparable to Ferodo 3.12 with much better wear.