GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Bro you're not supposed to just put it in trash bags!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That sucks. It's it possible to put a 2.0 in?
Just curious.

It’s been done, you need the non VVT 2.0 from late build Gen3 Mk6 GLI or A3 IIRC since that 1.8T doesn’t have the variable timing on the exhaust cam like Mk7 GTI/GLI/R/S3.

Being a minor issue his engine is a good candidate to do a rebuild.

Plastic bags + plastic cans = static.

Static discharge = exciting times if fumes are available lol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Bro you're not supposed to just put it in trash bags!

It’s been done, you need the non VVT 2.0 from late build Gen3 Mk6 GLI or A3 IIRC since that 1.8T doesn’t have the variable timing on the exhaust cam like Mk7 GTI/GLI/R/S3.

Being a minor issue his engine is a good candidate to do a rebuild.

Plastic bags + plastic cans = static.

Static discharge = exciting times if fumes are available lol
You guys are killing me lol

VP racing jugs, so that’s a “just in case leak “ measure. Corn stinks

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
You guys are killing me lol

VP racing jugs, so that’s a “just in case leak “ measure. Corn stinks
VP MS109 is a few steps above even that. No matter how hard I reef on the screw tops of my VP the whole car gets filled with fumes. I trash bag em as well when transiting to the track heh.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Awesome!

I paid $1100 and was one of the first to have the Borla system, and it sounded great & bolted right on.....but now @ $1800, that's a little insane! I'd go custom at that point instead.

Low miles and the price....geez! (I know it's the current market though)
GT's were going for ~$24-25k brand new, back in 2018.
I lost my ass on EVERY Passat I traded in back in the day. The depreciation was TERRIBLE.....now all of a sudden nothing depreciates it seems, lol.

That said, it should still be under warranty right? (6 year 72k bumper to bumper for the 2018's)

Are you going to mod it?
Yes warranty still, Intake and exhaust for the Wookie sounds for sure. Wheels,tint, (dying to lower more, but since the whole intent for adding this to the bunch was SOLEY for comfort, ease of driving and being able to have adult passengers in the back - I’m really fighting myself to mess with lowering it). I love how quiet and easy it eats up Shitty road bumps n ruts right now.

I’m thinking on the exhaust I may just do custom after the ypipe and swap some different mufflers there and do the exact tips I want like with my other cars.
Also, the headunit screen is so small, do you know of any options that gets me a bigger screen but still retains all can-bus communications esp with the rear camera?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Yes warranty still, Intake and exhaust for the Wookie sounds for sure. Wheels,tint, (dying to lower more, but since the whole intent for adding this to the bunch was SOLEY for comfort, ease of driving and being able to have adult passengers in the back - I’m really fighting myself to mess with lowering it). I love how quiet and easy it eats up Shitty road bumps n ruts right now.

I’m thinking on the exhaust I may just do custom after the ypipe and swap some different mufflers there and do the exact tips I want like with my other cars.
Also, the headunit screen is so small, do you know of any options that gets me a bigger screen but still retains all can-bus communications esp with the rear camera?
https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/supersprint-performance-sport-exhaust-for-vw-passat-gt-vr6.aspx

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Watched the Front Assist not Available lights pop on when I started it then2nd time today.

Parking sensors still work. Guess it’s pull apart the grill time.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm in a weird spot, I have so much money into Gen 3 EA888 parts that the 3.6VR swap I planned is hard to justify. A Golf R 2.0T with APR DTR is what I'm currently thinking about, but I'm bored with these MQB cars. Doing anything on them is just made more complicated by technology, and I miss the connection with the track/road. Both of my Mk7s are fast, but they lack something I can't describe.

Let me introduce you to the art of the shitbox LS swap
CDD09952-440B-432A-BDCB-D621B1E9AEB4.jpeg
4B0C7D19-6145-49A0-8AD8-2B81C5DCD0F5.jpeg

It’s my buddy from work’s car, and I’m just leading a hand (and shop space) for the most part aside from some fabrication work here and there.

He paid 8k for the car and sold the OEM drivetrain for 3k (more OEM parts left to sell).

Now I realize the fabrication work involved to DIY like this isn’t practical for everyone, but Sikky selling bolt on parts to make it turn key of you want (just cost a LOT more).
https://www.sikky.com/

Other notable examples would be a C5Z, E30, Porsche 928 or 944, or something along those lines. Or the trusty Mk1 VRT route. Me personally I’d like to build a swapped 911 of some sort.

I’ll always have a Mk7 kicking around, but agree having a pair of them gets kinda old after a while.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
I'm in a weird spot, I have so much money into Gen 3 EA888 parts that the 3.6VR swap I planned is hard to justify. A Golf R 2.0T with APR DTR is what I'm currently thinking about, but I'm bored with these MQB cars. Doing anything on them is just made more complicated by technology, and I miss the connection with the track/road. Both of my Mk7s are fast, but they lack something I can't describe.
This may or may not interest you but there's an MQB VR turbo out there which is a lot easier to integrate the electronics versus an older VR (2.5L VRT from the Chinese Atlas). Now, all the wiring and fabrication is a different story heh. I'm (very, very) patiently waiting for HPA to wrap the R&D on it so I can get it swapped into my R.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Let me introduce you to the art of the shitbox LS swap View attachment 260296View attachment 260297

It’s my buddy from work’s car, and I’m just leading a hand (and shop space) for the most part aside from some fabrication work here and there.

He paid 8k for the car and sold the OEM drivetrain for 3k (more OEM parts left to sell).

Now I realize the fabrication work involved to DIY like this isn’t practical for everyone, but Sikky selling bolt on parts to make it turn key of you want (just cost a LOT more).
https://www.sikky.com/

Other notable examples would be a C5Z, E30, Porsche 928 or 944, or something along those lines. Or the trusty Mk1 VRT route. Me personally I’d like to build a swapped 911 of some sort.

I’ll always have a Mk7 kicking around, but agree having a pair of them gets kinda old after a while.
$800 ish doesn't seem unreasonable for those swap kits.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
It's not, but i just tried to spec out a LS swap for a 350z and it's at 3,900.

The real pain with an engine swap is the million things you don't think of. Oil pan is always a problem, they sell one designed for the swap ($780). Headers can be another problem (depending on how you are with space in your swap) that's 1,500. RWD car? Congratulations you definitely need a new driveshaft, $600. And so it goes.

It's better to have a good fabricator in your corner who can do this for you. At least in my experience they're cheaper and the quality you get is much better.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

The real pain with an engine swap is the million things you don't think of. Oil pan is always a problem, they sell one designed for the swap ($780). Headers can be another problem (depending on how you are with space in your swap) that's 1,500. RWD car? Congratulations you definitely need a new driveshaft, $600. And so it goes.

It's better to have a good fabricator in your corner who can do this for you. At least in my experience they're cheaper and the quality you get is much better.
I get that, but not everyone has a buddy that's a fabricator.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Idk which piece is $800, but Sikky BRZ LS swap turn key kits start around $25,000

Yeah using a used built T5 transmission with a SBC bell housing (needed extensive mods to fit LS, one off transmission mount, used twin disk clutch and hydraulic slave cylinder, & new one off drive shaft he said he’s at $3,850 for everything that lives between the LS & rear differential.

To just buy a T56 transmission that’ll properly bolt to a LS and hold the same 700whp it would be significantly more than that total alone.