GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
First production AWD MQB 4” DP / 3.5”MP underway (first being built on the weld fixtures)

8A923AC0-EC5D-42C9-8164-68B0C9227091.jpeg
98A3DD3C-8830-48C8-86F5-2E3DAD08463A.jpeg
75C2A957-0996-423A-B49C-F21B169B5097.jpeg
EBD20362-C71B-4EE0-AB0B-5CDBC208F1C0.jpeg
0FD41C86-4FD1-40F7-AD90-21CE72D0C1ED.jpeg

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Building full scope and quotes for installing new dampers and front camber mounts so I can budget for it.

Now to decide between Koni Special Active or Bilstein B6 to clean up the stock suspension.

Was leaning toward the Special Actives because variable damping is very appealing to smooth out daily driving and firm up hard cornering. However, I'm not clear on how the technology works when BOTH high-frequency and low-frequency movements are happening at the same time -- e.g. hitting a bump (or multiple bumps) while cornering hard.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Building full scope and quotes for installing new dampers and front camber mounts so I can budget for it.

Now to decide between Koni Special Active or Bilstein B6 to clean up the stock suspension.

Was leaning toward the Special Actives because variable damping is very appealing to smooth out daily driving and firm up hard cornering. However, I'm not clear on how the technology works when BOTH high-frequency and low-frequency movements are happening at the same time -- e.g. hitting a bump (or multiple bumps) while cornering hard.
I can't answer how it works in that scenario because I drive like I am twice my age, but I love my Special Actives for daily duty and they have worked really well on my commute and some spirited driving. Note that Koni doesn't recommend any aftermarket springs with these since they need the full travel to do their magic. I had EMD springs on my stock dampers for about 50k miles before I wasn't liking the ride anymore, so these were a huge upgrade to comfort after that and still have that "sporty" damper feel.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I can't answer how it works in that scenario because I drive like I am twice my age, but I love my Special Actives for daily duty and they have worked really well on my commute and some spirited driving. Note that Koni doesn't recommend any aftermarket springs with these since they need the full travel to do their magic. I had EMD springs on my stock dampers for about 50k miles before I wasn't liking the ride anymore, so these were a huge upgrade to comfort after that and still have that "sporty" damper feel.
Thanks for that review. I do plan to keep stock springs.