GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Just know that you're buying the coils for engine dress up and it's totally fine, they don't perform any worse than OEM, but like others have said they aren't better either. APR Coils are the performance mod equivalent of CF intakes and billet oil caps, they wouldn't do anything to make you faster, but they do look nice under the hood. Just don't be one of those people who buys red coils and then puts the engine cover back on.

I got my coils from FCP so if they do give me any trouble I'll just warranty them. I'd advise the rest of you to do the same.
Lots of good information. Thanks!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I got my coils from FCP so if they do give me any trouble I'll just warranty them. I'd advise the rest of you to do the same.

1660167618030.png

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Monday took the car to the dealership for a warranty replacement driver mirror glass. While I was in there I asked for a quote to fix 2 ugly scratches on the drivers side doors. Paint guy came back 5 min later and said he could buff it out if I had a few minutes to wait. 1 hour and $77 later I was driving home. Dude did a great job. All is well again!!

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Installed a twincooler. Install pretty straightforward. However the passenger side is hitting against the bumper, causing it to not line up. Took me longer than I wanted to install (taking out old IC) so will try figure out what I need to do to make it fit.
IMG_8853.JPG
IMG_8852.JPG
IMG_8851.JPG

Also removed the SAI pump since Im Eurodyne and have it coded out. 2 14mm nuts.

Last edited:

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Got my car back from getting a SPEC Mini-Twin D-Spec clutch and Fluidampr installed. Also did the ECS braided clutch line, and changed the VAQ and transmission fluid.

IMG_3755.jpeg
FF98FB85-FCF1-47C4-B1C5-F81FCCD15C23.jpeg

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
What made you go with the mini twin vs the super twin? Asking because the spec clutch webpage is just horrible.
Based on JerseyDrew77's recommendation. I also was in contact with David at SPEC as well.

I agree their website is terrible. I didn't see a super twin listed for our cars.

I've only put 15 miles on the clutch so far. Pedal effort is not bad at all. It does have a super short engagement window. It's noisy right now too, but racecar so I don't care. I'm sure some of this will change over the next 500 miles or so. Shifts are crisp and clutch engagement is smooth and instantaneous. Rev matching on downshift is awesome; it revs way more freely than it did on my previous clutch setup (HS Tuning RSR Hybrid and DMF).

So far I'm happy with my decision.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Based on JerseyDrew77's recommendation. I also was in contact with David at SPEC as well.

I agree their website is terrible. I didn't see a super twin listed for our cars.

I've only put 15 miles on the clutch so far. Pedal effort is not bad at all. It does have a super short engagement window. It's noisy right now too, but racecar so I don't care. I'm sure some of this will change over the next 500 miles or so. Shifts are crisp and clutch engagement is smooth and instantaneous. Rev matching on downshift is awesome; it revs way more freely than it did on my previous clutch setup (HS Tuning RSR Hybrid and DMF).

Yeah rev matching downshifts is a big think I miss by going back to DMF from a single, esp. cause I still have the heavier fluiddampr mixed with the dmf it’s really delayed or slow to rev match with a blip

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
And you removed it to go FMIC?
Twin cooler… more volume and surface for the hybrid heat.

I would have just kept the CSK and added the twin.

My friend did that with his xl setup (added the eBay twin to his forge direct replacement )and had crazy results with reasonable effects to his wastegate effort. He was getting iat deltas through the full pull pretty comparable to what I get with WMI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Most manufacturers recommend not downshifting during clutch break in.

Row all six gears smoothly and at a normal driving pace, then neutral to coast to a stop for 500-750 miles (on average).

It’s annoying, but worth it for a long clutch life.