GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Took my mom to pick up her new Rising Blue ‘22 Jetta.
16248760-57CE-450A-AA50-2E0E97FD2D8C.jpeg

Saw a Mk8R there, and met some enthusiasts (owner of that car, and a employee with a modded Mk7.5R). Her salesman had a lowered 300ZX too (I wanted one bad back in the day).

Immediately ashamed of how dirty mine was I went home and washed it lol.

E70E7F33-E196-4DE2-95F4-4F10D6448EF1.jpeg

Also, burnt out a drivers side low beam on my BEC “Ed’s” Mk7.5R reps, so if anyone knows what they run it’ll save me investigating tomorrow.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I think @ourlee was looking for that bulb too. He just posted a thread

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Chillin, hbu?

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
I've seen them fail.
Ditto...

I got the APR packs shortly after i got the RS7s.... one of the coils failed on me (Cyl2 misfired)
went thru the hassle .. but APR was nice enough to send out a replacement 1 day after i reported (no proof) needed.

only stage1 here, should have saved my $200+ but lesson learned...

side note - i do like the red accent of the coil and matches my other colors in my engine bay LOL

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Ditto...

I got the APR packs shortly after i got the RS7s.... one of the coils failed on me (Cyl2 misfired)
went thru the hassle .. but APR was nice enough to send out a replacement 1 day after i reported (no proof) needed.

only stage1 here, should have saved my $200+ but lesson learned...

side note - i do like the red accent of the coil and matches my other colors in my engine bay LOL

So you had the APR brand coil packs, not the Velt brand? Glad they sent you a replacement at least.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have velt brand stuff on my car…(suspension mounts and motor mounts) the stuff works “fine” but the reality is, velt is “great values” brand of car parts. They are going to be lower at level of QC compared to oem, basically they are red colored autozone house brand coils. They should work fine, but they deff wouldn’t be as trouble free/long lasting as oem and they really are just a cosmetic upgrade.

The oem coils on the e888.3 engines are no longer plagued with constant failures that VWs have been known for with the mk4s,mk5,Mk6s, but brands will still sell you “upgrades” cause it’s a profitable wave they riding out.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I have velt brand stuff on my car…(suspension mounts and motor mounts) the stuff works “fine” but the reality is, velt is “great values” brand of car parts. They are going to be lower at level of QC compared to oem, basically they are red colored autozone house brand coils. They should work fine, but they deff wouldn’t be as trouble free/long lasting as oem and they really are just a cosmetic upgrade.

The oem coils on the e888.3 engines are no longer plagued with constant failures that VWs have been known for with the mk4s,mk5,Mk6s, but brands will still sell you “upgrades” cause it’s a profitable wave they riding out.
I literally carried around 4 extra coils in the trunk of my B5 for the entire life of owning it....because they failed that much

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Just know that you're buying the coils for engine dress up and it's totally fine, they don't perform any worse than OEM, but like others have said they aren't better either. APR Coils are the performance mod equivalent of CF intakes and billet oil caps, they wouldn't do anything to make you faster, but they do look nice under the hood. Just don't be one of those people who buys red coils and then puts the engine cover back on.

I got my coils from FCP so if they do give me any trouble I'll just warranty them. I'd advise the rest of you to do the same.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Just know that you're buying the coils for engine dress up and it's totally fine, they don't perform any worse than OEM, but like others have said they aren't better either. APR Coils are the performance mod equivalent of CF intakes and billet oil caps, they wouldn't do anything to make you faster, but they do look nice under the hood. Just don't be one of those people who buys red coils and then puts the engine cover back on.

I got my coils from FCP so if they do give me any trouble I'll just warranty them. I'd advise the rest of you to do the same.
They could perform worse than OEM.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I'm running a super cheap coil from O'Reilly auto, was maybe $30.

Bought it in a pinch when the RS7 coil went out after 15k miles. Since I couldn't take it back, just figured I'd run it until it fails.