GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I got 4 years out of it though and that's the best I've ever done on an oem battery. The oem battery on my mk6 only lasted 2 years. I bought that car and within 6 months the battery died on me. It doesn't surprise me one bit that it died before I could get rid of the car.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
What a pain in the ass. I knew this was going to happen soon too. I got in my car this morning and it started up perfect, no issues. I drive about 5 mins away to the tax collector and when I get back in my car it starts up perfectly fine again. I drive another 5 minutes away to the shell station. I get my fuel. Go to start the car. I get a single click from the starter and it gives up. Then all the random errors pop up. I knew right away it was the battery. I go inside the gas station and ask the clerk if there's anyway to get me a jump and a random guy that was checking out said he'd give me a hand. I tried to give him a $20, but he wouldn't take it. Immediately after this I went to grab a battery, already got it back up and running again. 11:30 the battery was dead. By 12:15 the new battery was installed.

View attachment 256315

Do you think that your repeated 5 minute trips had anything do to with the early battery failure?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Do you think that your repeated 5 minute trips had anything do to with the early battery failure?
Nah, it was getting to be an old battery. It was time.

The other thing I did was leave my ignition on while I was getting gas. I don't normally do that, but I wanted to leave my music on (I left it too quiet though, I couldn't even hear it, don't yell at me for being one of those annoying people).

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I noticed my car struggle just a bit during a start one day, drove it 20 minutes and came back home. Next day it wouldn't start up at all. Once it's ready to go it goes quick

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I got 4 years out of it though and that's the best I've ever done on an oem battery. The oem battery on my mk6 only lasted 2 years. I bought that car and within 6 months the battery died on me. It doesn't surprise me one bit that it died before I could get rid of the car.
bought car new in 2018....still on OEM battery at 49k.....powerdemon trying to sway me into upgrading to lighter lithium when my OEM gives it up

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
bought car new in 2018....still on OEM battery at 49k.....powerdemon trying to sway me into upgrading to lighter lithium when my OEM gives it up
same here with similar mileage.

1658771449534.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Got a new dent on the rear side panel between wheel wheel and passenger door thanks to a stone or something that hit the car on the highway. I recall hearing the noise and it was loud but didn't realize it did damage until a few days later. 😭

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Got a new dent on the rear side panel between wheel wheel and passenger door thanks to a stone or something that hit the car on the highway. I recall hearing the noise and it was loud but didn't realize it did damage until a few days later. 😭
You can probably find some local mobile paintless dent repair that can take that out. I've got all these small dents here and there and one day I might have them removed after the car is done being modded.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I tried the LiPO, it died the first time I left the alarm on overnight and didn't drive for 24hours. Not cool.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I tried the LiPO, it died the first time I left the alarm on overnight and didn't drive for 24hours. Not cool.
whoa.......that ain't cool. And also it's like $500 more than an OEM battery too....

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
forgive the invasion from the mk6 side of things, folks. i figured this mod on my mk6 GTI was worth sharing since it should fit and work well for mk7 platform. If you don't already have an extinguisher, having one is piece of mind in the event my car catches fire or i encounter one while out and about.

Since I mounted my small extinguisher in the rear of my car I really wanted to have something in the forward cabin for mor immediate emergencies. Since I am vehemently anti-ECS, I stayed away from the extinguisher mount from Rennline since they are exclusively an ECS product line now. I stumbled across KAP Industries out of Australia, and their mount looked pretty sturdy and essentially equivalent to competition previously mentioned. Plus the pricetag was more attractive.

KAP Industries

The brace showed up and I confirmed it would potentially fit the daily which has stock seats. After that I immediately installed:

I ordered this extinguisher from amazon, any 2.5kg extinguisher should fit fine, I bought this one because it came with a bracket and a quick release. Bolting that up was a piece of cake.

Depending on the extinguisher and placement you'll need to bend the bar so it sits properly for access and seat sliding. But I am happy with the look and function here! The KAP website has an install DIY video, real easy to follow. But for the love of god do not use a torque wrench as a ratchet/breaker bar, as they did.

But here's some links for you all..
KAP Industries
Extinguisher

The KAP brackets are really nice, I have one in my Alltrack and one in my E46 as well.