GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Honestly I yanked the plastic out of the way, and got in there with a flex head 3/8" for the two body mount bolts towards the engine, and the two closer to the fender I was able to get to with a socket and extension. It was mildly annoying, but not as awful as I was expecting. Idk, it sounded like without specific flex sockets it'd be nearly impossible, but the job didn't go badly at all. I will say though, it was very convenient to have ratcheting wrenches and pass-through sockets, otherwise I would've been spending more time realigning the wrench.

Flex head ratchet definitely made things easier though, I think one could get away with just that and an extension.
How big of an extension? And what size ratcheting wrenches do you need? I'm tackling this when I come back to NA.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Yeah I think 16/18mm for factory and 15mm/17mm for the BFI hardware, not 100% sure. I have a set of 8-19mm ratcheting wrenches from OEMTools and their metric passthrough socket set, which is a little lower-profile than most socket and ratchet setups. However, I still think that with a flex-head 3/8" ratchet you'll be alright, and I used a 6" extension for the bolts closer to the fender but I was able to move the plastic wire holder thing out of the way enough to gain access straight down.

Biggest thing when doing this job is to take your time, support the drivetrain (carefully, plastic oil pan), and be aware that if things are well-supported you should see the bolt heads rise from the mount, if they aren't rising nicely stop and reposition so you don't damage anything.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Finally got my superpro adjustable endlinks so i can hopefully fix my suspension clunk... although i think its actually brake related since it doesnt clunk when i lightly apply the brakes. we'll see

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

I know actors and actresses can play multiple roles, and that's normally how things go.

But it blew my mind when I connected the dots that she's Rebecca in Ted Lasso.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I know actors and actresses can play multiple roles, and that's normally how things go.

But it blew my mind when I connected the dots that she's Rebecca in Ted Lasso.
I thought she was legit like an 80 year old lady. I learned who she was earlier this year too and it was like holy shit!

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Yeah I think 16/18mm for factory and 15mm/17mm for the BFI hardware, not 100% sure. I have a set of 8-19mm ratcheting wrenches from OEMTools and their metric passthrough socket set, which is a little lower-profile than most socket and ratchet setups. However, I still think that with a flex-head 3/8" ratchet you'll be alright, and I used a 6" extension for the bolts closer to the fender but I was able to move the plastic wire holder thing out of the way enough to gain access straight down.

Biggest thing when doing this job is to take your time, support the drivetrain (carefully, plastic oil pan), and be aware that if things are well-supported you should see the bolt heads rise from the mount, if they aren't rising nicely stop and reposition so you don't damage anything.
Ahhhh...good call on the ratcheting wrenches. I have picked up a set of those since doing the insert last year. I am going to snag a flex head ratchet and some pass through sockets

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
i think I might of found the culprit to the leak. Not 100% sure. That plastic piece that was mentioned earlier is secured. A video last night I watched the guy mentioned this part on the hatch. His had the nipple. My shit looks destroy and not in place.
4EB2E793-1BAA-4CD5-830B-3DD7FB3355F0.jpeg

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
i think I might of found the culprit to the leak. Not 100% sure. That plastic piece that was mentioned earlier is secured. A video last night I watched the guy mentioned this part on the hatch. His had the nipple. My shit looks destroy and not in place.

I realized mine was gone just a few days ago. The water would leak onto the parcel shelf when I opened the hatch. I looked at the drain hole and sure enough the rubber piece is missing and the tube is misaligned. You can grab it at the dealer, the part # is 512 827 861 A

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Ahhhh...good call on the ratcheting wrenches. I have picked up a set of those since doing the insert last year. I am going to snag a flex head ratchet and some pass through sockets
https://www.mobiledistributorsupply.com/22978-oemtools-12-piece-go-through-socket-set-oem

That's the set of pass-through sockets I have, they also work rather nicely as mini extensions. Ignore the 'compatible with' thing, that's only relevant to the "ring stop" feature of the wrenches. The hex drives are the same size as the socket (so 15mm will have a 15mm hex drive up top), so they're very convenient.