Autocross Champion
60CFDEE1-431F-4D4A-847B-0D2588621A0F.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
As some of you may know I was having odd noises & was told by a mechanic that my engine is bad because of a cylinder 2 misfire.
I finally was able to take it to someone much reliable and look more into the odd noises and the engine itself. Dogbone fixed a weird ass noise coming off from a stop, a cringe noise when building boost coming from the engine bay turned out to b the resonator & cat sagging hitting the frame. CTS downpipe did lose one of the hangers. Now the car runs amazing now and strong, no more hiccups or misfires. Super glad to finally have the car running good with no weird noises or misfires. Only getting a rich to lean O2 code that could b solved with a stage 2. Heard cobb is following EPA for emissions. Trying to install stage 2 at my tuner, waiting on a reply from them

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My guess is $2,400 for the DP, $3,600 for the exhaust.

I won’t be offering just a downpipe, the two options will be DP & MP or full TBE & it’ll be modular so you could start with the DP/MP combo and simply unbolt a V band reducer then installed the rest of the system.

My goal is to keep it down to $2,500 per (5k total for a Valved TBE) but that’s probably overly optimistic given how expensive everything is material wise.
Maybe all this overtime I’ve been working will end up lining your pockets.
Honestly I should just work overtime instead of building this stuff, but I enjoy it. My wife was PISSED when I told her the R was scheduled to be dropped off for development.

My real job (aviation) I make just a hair under $60 an hour. If I were to take OT it’s 1.75 that rate and moves to double time on scheduled days off.

Baun Performance shop rate is $70 an hour, so after paying electric, weld gas, and other consumables I’m way behind what I make to for the most part hang out at my real job…figure in what I spend on tools and the shop it works out to $20 an hour pretty quick (and that’s not counting the hours I can’t bill doing all the maintenance on all the shop stuff, checking in parts, shipping stuff (which I pay for btw so take that out of my hourly rate too). It’s literally a awful business to be in aside from I enjoy doing it.

I literally bought over $2,300 (left over discontinued GESI Gen1 UHO 4.5” body cat saved $250 there) worth of material for this system today and already had stuff on the shelf for it. So to the guys who laugh at my prices or think I’m like the monopoly guy or something you’re way off.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I won’t be offering just a downpipe, the two options will be DP & MP or full TBE & it’ll be modular so you could start with the DP/MP combo and simply unbolt a V band reducer then installed the rest of the system.

My goal is to keep it down to $2,500 per (5k total for a Valved TBE) but that’s probably overly optimistic given how expensive everything is material wise.

Honestly I should just work overtime instead of building this stuff, but I enjoy it. My wife was PISSED when I told her the R was scheduled to be dropped off for development.

My real job (aviation) I make just a hair under $60 an hour. If I were to take OT it’s 1.75 that rate and moves to double time on scheduled days off.

Baun Performance shop rate is $70 an hour, so after paying electric, weld gas, and other consumables I’m way behind what I make to for the most part hang out at my real job…figure in what I spend on tools and the shop it works out to $20 an hour pretty quick (and that’s not counting the hours I can’t bill doing all the maintenance on all the shop stuff, checking in parts, shipping stuff (which I pay for btw so take that out of my hourly rate too). It’s literally a awful business to be in aside from I enjoy doing it.

I literally bought over $2,300 (left over discontinued GESI Gen1 UHO 4.5” body cat saved $250 there) worth of material for this system today and already had stuff on the shelf for it. So to the guys who laugh at my prices or think I’m like the monopoly guy or something you’re way off.
Do you do titanium? I'm interested in something for the Mk7.5 R to a) drop weight and b) keep the valves, but most options on the market end up being heavier with the 3.5" ss304 piping (that I don't need for <500hp).

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Do you do titanium? I'm interested in something for the Mk7.5 R to a) drop weight and b) keep the valves, but most options on the market end up being heavier with the 3.5" ss304 piping (that I don't need for <500hp).

I can build anything I offer in Titanium, it’s just substantially more expensive so no VW guys have pulled the trigger on that option.

The R33 build I posted pictures of I repaired a Ti muffler by cutting out damage and patching over it, then cut off the damaged inlet and added a new slip fit and spring hangers on.

Ti is actually a ton of fun to work with.
0F7D1EC3-796F-48CF-A998-4DAB37E5617A.jpeg
0F7D1EC3-796F-48CF-A998-4DAB37E5617A.jpeg
B2969FF1-7E02-4CE9-89CA-FB7681223FAA.jpeg
DAE15AFD-A1E2-4C48-BE7C-D7D6085AF3D5.jpeg
100AC3D8-2AAF-420D-B0D3-10EE092A3837.jpeg
D58FEB1E-1C84-4EE8-BDF9-D9B6A721A919.jpeg

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Tough choice, but I think there are a few offerings now for the valves. I seen a few vacuum operated, and recently AliExpress had a few Ti valves with electric motors... I'm sure once Jake gets a hold of this R a lot of options are going to open up. Working with Ti is the same as Stainless, just got to be more concern about gas coverage. For weight savings Ti is the way to go, I think the Ti mufflers sound thin, especially in 4 cyl engines.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Tough choice, but I think there are a few offerings now for the valves. I seen a few vacuum operated, and recently AliExpress had a few Ti valves with electric motors... I'm sure once Jake gets a hold of this R a lot of options are going to open up. Working with Ti is the same as Stainless, just got to be more concern about gas coverage. For weight savings Ti is the way to go, I think the Ti mufflers sound thin, especially in 4 cyl engines.
I'm not very concerned about sounding good, just want to take weight out and preserve the ability to run it quieter without swapping mufflers.

I would much rather pay a stateside VW enthusiast for quality work over anything from China.