GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Guess we have different opinions of what sounds great. I can't imagine how unbearably droney, boomy and obnoxious this shit would be with an aftermarket dp.
I have a Magniflow exhaust, catless Trackslag Dp and Vibrant resonator and have no drone at all. It is very loud on WOT though but no drone at any RPM level or throttle position.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Any car looks better bagged.
Yeah, funny enough…. Never once has some one started the conversation while it’s bagged out, it’s always driving or at ride height and through the process I show it’s bagged.

If you were the type to drop the car even to just get gas… well don’t blame the GTI badge for people thinking the car was a douche -esq based car 😂😂

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Yeah, funny enough…. Never once has some one started the conversation while it’s bagged out, it’s always driving or at ride height and through the process I show it’s bagged.

If you were the type to drop the car even to just get gas… well don’t blame the GTI badge for people thinking the car was a douche -esq based car 😂😂

What’s the point in having bags if you don’t air out at every available opportunity? If the car is stopped for more than two minutes, the air is coming out!

Doge

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Yup stock dp. No plans on swapping it out cuz CA be gay like that.

Yeah I agree. Blows my mind when hit Bois on YouTube think a straight piped GTI sounds good. Ok that note, AWE touring sounds awesome but then again, I've only heard it in videos.

I'm actually the one who bought @GTI Jake 's first Stealth suitcase version!

Before that I had AWE with Jake's resonated midpipe and while his midpipe helps noticeably with drone and the noise, the whole AWE system in general was just too loud and mostly too boomy for my taste. I actually got to try both AWE's touring midpipe and Jake's and Jake's definitely helps with the drone and noise even compared to their touring midpipe. All of them were paired with Jake's v2 catted downpipe so I believe it's one of the more quieter aftermaket downpipes out there too.

I'm really glad I went with Jake's stealth option and regret not getting his exhaust on my first take. Was afraid to spend close to 2k on CBE before so that's why I went with AWE but you really do get what you pay for. I... bought thrice and probably cried closer to 10 times for not buying the best option in the first place 😂

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I'm actually the one who bought @GTI Jake 's first Stealth suitcase version!

Before that I had AWE with Jake's resonated midpipe and while his midpipe helps noticeably with drone and the noise, the whole AWE system in general was just too loud and mostly too boomy for my taste. I actually got to try both AWE's touring midpipe and Jake's and Jake's definitely helps with the drone and noise even compared to their touring midpipe. All of them were paired with Jake's v2 catted downpipe so I believe it's one of the more quieter aftermaket downpipes out there too.

I'm really glad I went with Jake's stealth option and regret not getting his exhaust on my first take. Was afraid to spend close to 2k on CBE before so that's why I went with AWE but you really do get what you pay for. I... bought thrice and probably cried closer to 10 times for not buying the best option in the first place 😂
I also bought thrice but I've recouped 100% of my money thus far so no real loss there. I'm also not down to drop that kind of coin for noise tbh so I've got some things to think about. I might just sell the AWE outright and stick with CSS. Not sure yet..

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I also bought thrice but I've recouped 100% of my money thus far so no real loss there. I'm also not down to drop that kind of coin for noise tbh so I've got some things to think about. I might just sell the AWE outright and stick with CSS. Not sure yet..
If you're not rolling with a DP, stick with a CSS and be done with it.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
guys, I blew one of speakers. I was listening to music, guess the song had to much bass and all I heard was a pop and the audio sounded distorted, no bass at all. Now it sounds bad and weak. How serious of a job this is and buying parts? Can't believe this happened.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
guys, I blew one of speakers. I was listening to music, guess the song had to much bass and all I heard was a pop and the audio sounded distorted, no bass at all. Now it sounds bad and weak. How serious of a job this is and buying parts? Can't believe this happened.
Year and Trim? MK7s the speakers are riveted and will need to be drilled out, swapping is pretty easy, you'll just have to seal them again. Not sure if they still are on 7.5. Door card and stuff isn't hard at all to take off, and should be easy to find instructions.

Fender or premium audio will probably cost more parts wise, but it just kinda depends. A quick looks seems OEM speakers run 300ish to 36 a pop, so depends on audio type and which speaker. Shouldn't be too much to worry about on either front.

Edit: Now if you blew the tweeter in the A-pillar, that'll be another story. It's quite a thing to wrestle off, and you'll have to remove the airbag cover I believe as well. Not a nightmare, but it something to take your time with and will require some effort on your part. Plenty of write ups on removing the A pillar as well.

Last edited:

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Year and Trim? MK7s the speakers are riveted and will need to be drilled out, swapping is pretty easy, you'll just have to seal them again. Not sure if they still are on 7.5. Door card and stuff isn't hard at all to take off, and should be easy to find instructions.

Fender or premium audio will probably cost more parts wise, but it just kinda depends. A quick looks seems OEM speakers run 300ish to 36 a pop, so depends on audio type and which speaker. Shouldn't be too much to worry about on either front.
2017 GTI non-pp standard speakers. Imo the standard speakers suck. I always hated that the volume would be maxed out and still not sound loud enough with the windows down. When shopping wtf do I even look up. I search up GTI 2017 speakers and see all kinds of things. I heard about helix.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
2017 GTI non-pp standard speakers. Imo the standard speakers suck. I always hated that the volume would be maxed out and still not sound loud enough with the windows down. When shopping wtf do I even look up. I search up GTI 2017 speakers and see all kinds of things. I heard about helix.
Helix is a great plug and play upgrade without having to do a custom setup, or replace the brain and lose out on some features or have to use ODB11/VCDS to accomplish what was a few taps. I've got the base 8 speaker system in my 17 GSW and added a helix. One of my favorite mods, and was easy to install and program.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/helix-soundbox-upgrade-information-post.346458/

Check out a dealer page to grab the part number for your year and google around, you'll probably be able to pick it up cheaper most times.

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I'd say get some Rivet Nuts and never deal with drilling out speaker rivets again.

The Helix sub/dsp is great; you can do a lot worse for more money. It was one of the first things I did to my GTI after being spoiled by Dynaudio in a Mk6 and being very underwhelmed with the stock system in the Mk7. VW also tends to run rebates quarterly for accessories which can help mitigate the cost further.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Speaking of speakers..mine didn't fully work this morning. Maybe cause it was around -2 all night. Got in the car this morning and they were very quiet and sounded far away. About fifteen minutes later when the car was actually warm inside, they slowly started to go back to normal.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Speaking of speakers..mine didn't fully work this morning. Maybe cause it was around -2 all night. Got in the car this morning and they were very quiet and sounded far away. About fifteen minutes later when the car was actually warm inside, they slowly started to go back to normal.
That makes sense. Might be some sort of protection?

kyLman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf
I bought the online Haynes manual today for the MK7....first digital repair "book" I've purchased. Let's see how I like it... I do use a tablet often when messing with OBD11 + JB4