GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
too late!
boom, canceled!

Now go into your shame corner while teenagers with all the knowledge in the world tweet at you how the entire world should be run.
adult-go-to-college-so-you-can-get-an-education-59534614.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I think what it really boils down to is that GTI drivers are lumped into the same category as WRX drivers, which most people see as douchebags. They think of them as the kind of people who sit at their local Sheetz/Wawa for hours and rev their engines. They pull up beside your stock car on the interstate and ride even with you revving to try and get you to race. The average 20some year old "kid" who "thinks their car is fast." These aren't the type of people who really get complimented on their car. Not saying a GLI is any better, or that it even deserves to be complimented. Just saying the GTI is most likely just viewed as a "douchebag car" by the majority of people.

The jokes on everyone here. both the Jetta AND the Golf are on the Top 10 Gay list.

1643208802615.png

In general, considering VW occupies 40% of the list, I'd say we're all driving pretty gay cars around here.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I think what it really boils down to is that GTI drivers are lumped into the same category as WRX drivers, which most people see as douchebags. They think of them as the kind of people who sit at their local Sheetz/Wawa for hours and rev their engines. They pull up beside your stock car on the interstate and ride even with you revving to try and get you to race. The average 20some year old "kid" who "thinks their car is fast." These aren't the type of people who really get complimented on their car. Not saying a GLI is any better, or that it even deserves to be complimented. Just saying the GTI is most likely just viewed as a "douchebag car" by the majority of people.
I think the MK7 GTI is still a little to expensive to be a complete douche car. In Toronto, I have not seen anyone under their late 20's in one.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I think the MK7 GTI is still a little to expensive to be a complete douche car. In Toronto, I have not seen anyone under their late 20's in one.

To someone who knows a little about cars, maybe. To your average non-car person, a WRX hatchback and a GTI hatchback are the exact same car, and they're both parked beside each other at your local gas station every Friday night while the drivers stand around them outside vaping together.

In no way am I only saying this because I don't have a GTI anymore. I was told plenty of times how I "drove a douchebag car" over the years. I embraced it. I revved at everyone I could.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
In all the years of owning a VWs it was pretty consistent to get compliments from all types of random people and commonly about how they had a beetle back in the day 😂😂.

With this car it’s actually something that happens often where random and various people compliment the car and want to hear about it. And I love the opportunity to pop the hatch and geek out explaining all the crap on the car that to a none GTI person can’t pinpoint why it’s subtly unique to others on the road

E45C64CF-45C3-4942-BFF7-29933AAFAF22.jpeg

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Are you on the stock downpipe?

I think that's also what makes it very hard to get someone's opinion of a "good sounding" exhaust. Because it's not something that's quantifiable, it's all subjective. The first exhaust I bought was the Rev9 because I didn't want to spend a lot of money, and dear god was it the worse sounding thing I've ever heard. Yet I've seen people with it go "Oh man this is awesome sounding!". Video clips are better, but still can be hard to judge. A cell phone or GoPro microphone isn't going to sound identically to how it does in real life, but is better than just someone's opinion at least.
Yup stock dp. No plans on swapping it out cuz CA be gay like that.

Yeah I agree. Blows my mind when hit Bois on YouTube think a straight piped GTI sounds good. Ok that note, AWE touring sounds awesome but then again, I've only heard it in videos.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

With this car it’s actually something that happens often where random and various people compliment the car and want to hear about it. And I love the opportunity to pop the hatch and geek out explaining all the crap on the car that to a none GTI person can’t pinpoint why it’s subtly unique to others on the road

View attachment 236976
Epic

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yup stock dp. No plans on swapping it out cuz CA be gay like that.

Yeah I agree. Blows my mind when hit Bois on YouTube think a straight piped GTI sounds good. Ok that note, AWE touring sounds awesome but then again, I've only heard it in videos.

I’ve honestly never built a Midpipe for someone with a stock downpipe, it may get you where you want to be but I have three options quieter than what you currently have (even with my Midpipe added).

-AWE Touring (louder than)

-BP Less Aggressive

-BP Stealth Dual

-BP Suitcase

Obviously a big jump from CSS, to AWE, to a completely different CBE, but to be fair risking a third set up that doesn’t hit the mark isn’t ideal either.

This is recorded with an external mic, wear headphones for best results.

StealthGti is compiling a extensive testing video with dB readings scheduled to be released mid February. Not a perfect comparison because his car has a rear seat delete (which drastically increases cabin volume), but the plan is to test apples to apples with the rear seat folded in the other cars (mine excluded, I didn’t have time to remove car seats, but my Aggressive system is also very loud and just in the video for fun).