GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Oh man, don't tell me that. I just picked up my car from carmax with a clean report. I guess I need to check Carfax now.
Yea... sorry to break the news to you. The first GTI I bought from Carmax had a bunch of stuff that simply was not on the Experian report. Damage was reported on all sides, from what I assume was collisions. I also I noted the cars keyfobs were replaced around the same time. Assuming the car was either stolen and missing for months, or part of a nasty repossession. At the time I assumed worst case scenario and returned the car. Also, you need to change your oil and make sure they didn't glue the fucking drain plug back in there. Mandatory oil change is part of their "free service" but in my scenario they didn't bother with the proper oil, and the car was leaking from the valve cover until I fixed it. Instead of going to the VW dealership literally 0.5 miles away and grabbing a $5 drain plug, they glued the current one back in.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Biggest issue I have with my GTI in present state. I really can't drive it hard, because there's nowhere safe to do so. With that said, getting on the highway is pretty damn fun.
Honestly one reason why I enjoy the stock tune a lot. It's fast enough to be fun, but not so fast that winding it out puts me at dangerous speeds. With a stage 1 tune, I'm going 80 in the city before I know it.

But oh baby, that 3rd gear pull on stage 1.... :cool:🚀

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Mine gets bucket washed with ONR in the garage during winter time. Had it's first sponge bath the other day.
ONR is life. Such a great product. I also use it for a quick detailer, interior cleaner, and window cleaner. And I use it around the house for surface cleaning and mopping our floors.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Honestly one reason why I enjoy the stock tune a lot. It's fast enough to be fun, but not so fast that winding it out puts me at dangerous speeds. With a stage 1 tune, I'm going 80 in the city before I know it.

But oh baby, that 3rd gear pull on stage 1.... :cool:🚀

Yeah, that long pull in third is fun. I use it to pass on back roads.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Mine gets bucket washed with ONR in the garage during winter time. Had it's first sponge bath the other day.

I wash mine throughout the winter......fill up the bucket with warm water from the kitchen and rubber gloves. Turn on water to the hose, wash fast, turn water to the hose off.

Something about dirty wheels stirs up anger inside.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Yea... sorry to break the news to you. The first GTI I bought from Carmax had a bunch of stuff that simply was not on the Experian report. Damage was reported on all sides, from what I assume was collisions. I also I noted the cars keyfobs were replaced around the same time. Assuming the car was either stolen and missing for months, or part of a nasty repossession. At the time I assumed worst case scenario and returned the car. Also, you need to change your oil and make sure they didn't glue the fucking drain plug back in there. Mandatory oil change is part of their "free service" but in my scenario they didn't bother with the proper oil, and the car was leaking from the valve cover until I fixed it. Instead of going to the VW dealership literally 0.5 miles away and grabbing a $5 drain plug, they glued the current one back in.

That's awful. Well thank you for the heads up, I will certainly check into all that. So far I'm quite pleased with the car though and have found no evidence of previous modifications or accidents. What do you mean by "glued the drain plug" ?? Does it not thread in? Did it break somehow?

I live in Florida. What's this winter you speak of?

You know that lovely time of year when it gets down to a brisk upper 50's to low 60's in the morning? I think some call it "boost weather" :p

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Does it not thread in? Did it break somehow?
They threaded it in, and capped it with glue. I am assuming it wouldn't stay in because it was used, or possibly the gasket was leaking. Had to clean off the glue to get the cap out of the oilpan, and once I replaced it, there were no leaks to be found.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Found full set of Nagaros near me. Tire warranty FTW and the little curb kiss never existed.

wonder if Stealth wants another set of sport wheels lol.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
So filled up at the pump and car didn't start. Got a jump and drove to AutoZone and dropped a battery in. There goes my aspirations for a lithium but what the hell, saved $400 bucks in contrast.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
So filled up at the pump and car didn't start. Got a jump and drove to AutoZone and dropped a battery in. There goes my aspirations for a lithium but what the hell, saved $400 bucks in contrast.
Well that escalated quickly.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Yeah it seems like our OEM battery gives you one warning shot before it gives up the smoke.

I was just catching up on this thread & planned to recommend Optima (made in Mexico, but I’ve had great luck with them in four different vehicles the years) or a Odyssey (made in USA, I have one in our utility quad).

Everyone gets excited about a lightweight battery, but my car (most of our cars here) being a daily I just want it to be as reliable as possible.