MK7 GTI
totally doing this when mine starts going south
Time for that lithium good good
jRStYUPh.jpg

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
If it makes you feel any better, Carmax doesn't check either. In fact, Carmax intentionally uses Experian, a less aggressive reporting service to track vehicle service history. You may be able to just de-tune and sell to Carmax, probably at a profit, in a worst case scenario.

The first car I got from Carmax had no incidents reported on Experian... when I checked Carfax it had damage reported on every side and the roof.

Oh man, don't tell me that. I just picked up my car from carmax with a clean report. I guess I need to check Carfax now.

Also, since we're in the endgame now, here's my advice. Go to the Carvana/Carmax websites now and get a free offer based on your vehicle VIN. The offer is good for a month, so if something crazy gets reported on the VIN a few days from now, maybe it slips under the radar. A little nefarious, sure... but so far you've been treated like shit anyway.

The offer is actually only valid for 7 days (at least with carmax).

OK, she's running again! Picking her up this afternoon.

Needed 2 new wheel speed sensors, which certainly would explain some of the issues and lights.

BUT, the stalling/misfiring is still a bit if a mystery. They couldn't get it running right until they flashed the ECU back to stock/took off the tune. They're not sure yet if simply resetting the ECU fixed the issues temporarily, or if the tune and/or plug gap was to blame. Clearing the codes didn't help. He suggested I give it a few days on the stock tune and stock plug gap and see if the issue comes back. If it doesn't, then we can re-visit the tune with the proper plug gap. Going to try to get more details from the tech when I pick it up.

All of it covered under the CPO warranty (minus the $50 deductible).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh man, I haven't chimed into this conversation before now, but I'm happy you got it figured out and they covered it (mostly) for you. Makes me wonder if I really want to go stage 1 or not (who am I kidding? I probably will).

I'm at 22,000 miles with plugs as delivered and gapped on stg 1 EQT. No issues with knock or misfire yet, but my car gets full on Italian tune up once or twice a month.

I'm glad it wasn't catastrophic.

What's an "italian tune up"?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Makes me wonder if I really want to go stage 1 or not (who am I kidding? I probably will).

What's an "italian tune up"?
Stage 1 is very safe and reliable. I think my issue was either bad gas or bad spark plug gap. I'm probably going to go back to stage 1 after a a couple weeks of driving on the stock tune to confirm there are no other issues.

Italian Tune-Up = basically driving the car hard and at high RPM to blow out some carbon buildup. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a23778262/italian-tune-up-explained/

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Stage 1 is very safe and reliable. I think my issue was either bad gas or bad spark plug gap. I'm probably going to go back to stage 1 after a a couple weeks of driving on the stock tune to confirm there are no other issues.

Italian Tune-Up = basically driving the car hard and at high RPM to blow out some carbon buildup. https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a23778262/italian-tune-up-explained/

Thanks. Yeah I've had multiple vehicles with various OTS tunes and even a few custom dyno tunes in the past. I know they can be reliable when done right.

And I've been into the car scene for about 20 years now and somehow have missed that term haha. Makes sense though, I do that daily :p

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks. Yeah I've had multiple vehicles with various OTS tunes and even a few custom dyno tunes in the past. I know they can be reliable when done right.

And I've been into the car scene for about 20 years now and somehow have missed that term haha. Makes sense though, I do that daily :p

Mine gets autocrossed or tracked once or twice a month. I'd go to jail if I drove that hard on the street.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Mine gets autocrossed or tracked once or twice a month. I'd go to jail if I drove that hard on the street.
Biggest issue I have with my GTI in present state. I really can't drive it hard, because there's nowhere safe to do so. With that said, getting on the highway is pretty damn fun.

If I had this thing when I was younger, I wouldn't be alive/a free man. It's hilariously fun to autocross though, and I'm glad to have it as a responsible(ish) adult.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Mine gets bucket washed with ONR in the garage during winter time. Had it's first sponge bath the other day.